What’s the deal w/fuji xt3 update betrayal?!

JQB

Please do not mistake my passion for something negative, many thanks. 

It’s frustrating. Frustrating there’s no direct channels to talk to Fuji but I’m tired of this stupid stuff. Xt4 getting updates & haven’t heard jack about xt3. This camera is nothing but old...I got it instead of a7iii because I’d my trust & love for kaizen. And they feed us this drivel about not having resources or time when it’s THE SAME sensor & processor...like I feel betrayed & upset. It cost me $3,000 for everything Canadian. People who bought the xt3 made it possible for them to move on to make more models. We’re the reason it was a best seller on amazon. 

Im upset...incredibly so, but no photography YouTube channel says jack & half of Fuji fanboys make excuses for Fuji. It’s their duty. And again...sames sensor AND processor. I don’t like the xt4 look w/evf bump or want ibis for myself yet. I personally want to wait till xt5 but again I’m not made of money & regardless, I might not have the money or time to save up. I’m a regular guy...again I just feel betrayed. 

There are no excuses. There aren’t. And it makes me extremely sad there’s been zero word after the worlds finally started noticing Fuji & making 3rd party affordable & actually good autofocus lenses for it. I’m  hurt...and if they don’t hold up theor end I’m gonna do everything I can denouncing Fuji for the rest of my life making a business move that doesn’t do anything but leave people in the dust for basically the xt3s as much as people might wanna pretend it’s a new iteration — no. It’s not.

I recommended Fuji to 2 friends and they actually bought one. I shouted praise on IG. I bought new & put my money where my mouth was. If you are going to make excuses please don’t comment. 

i tried uploading some pics I took but keep getting errors to show I’m a serious photographer apart from buying a $2k camera w/mitakon 35mm .95...

I for one feel bad that you feel this way about Fuji.  I've been using Fuji since February 2013 and couldn't be happier.  Maybe Fuji has a plan (?).  If you have concerns, you should contact Fuji in Edison NJ, which is the service center I use and they are truly amazing, helpful, and friendly, or call Fuji in Valhalla New York.  If I may suggest to tone down the rhetoric that you (rightly so) expressed here when you reach out to them.   Wasn't there some recent upgrades just last week?  Anyway, best of luck.  And not because I'm a Fuji fanboy or anything but I feel you made a smart choice in selecting Fuji instead of Sony.  That's just my two cents.

At one time there was something called "Kai-zen" I believe.  Where Fuji would update some of the older cameras with characteristics of the new.  But unfortunately for XT-3, Fuji has given up on photography and gone into the videography world.  You see their developers are too busy writing new firmware for video and webcam operation.  The rumored "Kai-zen" for the XT-3 has gone by the wayside.  It's the videography that counts,  Photographers are now second class and no longer count.

At least that is what I have been seeing lately (IMHO).

We've really seen nothing but bug fixes and performance tweaks on the X-T4 firmware.

The X-T4 is on v 1.02 and all the changelog lists are bug fixes, while the X-T3 has received very significant updates and is on v3.21

The X-T4 really hasn't received any love beyond bug fixes, the X-T3 has had a lot however.

Edited by mawz

On 7/12/2020 at 8:33 AM, Lumens said:

At one time there was something called "Kai-zen" I believe.  Where Fuji would update some of the older cameras with characteristics of the new.  But unfortunately for XT-3, Fuji has given up on photography and gone into the videography world.  You see their developers are too busy writing new firmware for video and webcam operation.  The rumored "Kai-zen" for the XT-3 has gone by the wayside.  It's the videography that counts,  Photographers are now second class and no longer count.

At least that is what I have been seeing lately (IMHO).

I'd seriously suggest looking at the X-T3 changelog before making that claim.

There's been a lot of love from Fuji for the X-T3, and the last major firmware update was in January with AF improvements. Only the V2.x updates were video-focused, all the v3 updates have been either stills focused or equally useful across both stills and video.

Ver.3.21

The firmware update Ver.3.21 from Ver.3.20 incorporates the following:

Fix of minor bugs.

Ver.3.20

The firmware update Ver.3.20 from Ver.3.10 incorporates the following:

Enhanced autofocus.

*Improving the tracking performance of the eye AF frame, making it easier to attain accurate autofocus on the eyes.
*Improving face-detection performance when there are faces of different sizes within the same frame, making it easier to attain accurate autofocus.
*Improving autofocus capability on a foreground subject even when there is a mixture of foreground and background subjects within a AF frame, causing the foreground subject to go out of focus, e.g. when shooting flowers against a busy background.

Capability to save up to 9,999 pictures in each folder.

Until now, the number of pictures that can be saved in a folder on an SD card was limited to 999. This update will raise the limit by ten times to 9,999 pictures.

The phenomena below during a movie shooting are fixed.

*Focus hunting at the minimum aperture.
*A black line can sometimes appear on the bottom of the center.

Fix of minor bugs.

Ver.3.10

The firmware update Ver.3.10 from Ver.3.01 incorporates the following issues:

Regarding the details of No.1, download the “X-T3 New Features Guide” from our website.

New Features Guide: English, Français, Deutch, Español, Italiano, Nederland, Polski, Svenska, Norsk, Dansk, Pусский, Suomi, 中文简, 中文繁體, 한국어, ภาษาไทย, Arabic

Gimbal / Drone support (*)

This firmware adds the following function to complement the current support for still image shooting via USB communications:  
・Starting and ending video recording  
・Adjusting exposure settings (exposure mode, shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation) for video recording  
・Making manual focus adjustments for video recording
*This is the function via USB communication. About supported gimbals and drones, refer to support information not only on our website but also manufacturers’ websites.

Fix of minor bugs.

Ver.3.01

The firmware update Ver.3.01 from Ver.3.00 incorporates the following issue:

The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, the message of “TURN OFF THE CAMERA AND TURN ON AGAIN” can appear in the drive mode of “S” when you repeatedly and rapidly take photos in a short time.

Ver.3.00

The firmware update Ver.3.00 from Ver.2.10 incorporates the following issues:

Regarding the details of No.2,4 and 8 download the “X-T3 New Features Guide” from our website.

New Features Guide: English, Français, Deutch, Español, Italiano, Nederland, Polski, Svenska, Norsk, Dansk, Pусский, Suomi, 中文简, 中文繁體, 한국어, ภาษาไทย, Arabic

Strengthened the accuracy of face / eye detection AF performance

The AF algorithm has been improved along with the accuracy of face / eye detection AF. The ability to detect faces in the distance has been enhanced by approximately 30% and AF tracking is now more stable, even when an obstacle appears in the way. The improvements in AF are applicable to both still photos and video recording.

New Face Select function

The Face Select function has been introduced to provide priority auto-focus, tracking and exposure on a selected subject when multiple faces have been detected. The priority face can be selected by using the touch screen or focus lever.

Faster AF speed for subjects at a distance

A Double Tap Setting and Touch Function has been added to the touch screen settings*. The two settings must be set to OFF to provide a better touch screen response. These new settings allow a more intuitive touch operation when shooting, AF and focus area select.

Intuitive operation of touch screen

A Double Tap Setting and Touch Function has been added to the touch screen settings(*1). The two settings must be set to OFF to provide a better touch screen response. These new settings allow a more intuitive touch operation when shooting, AF and focus area select.
*1:By default, Touch Screen Setting, Double Tap Setting and Touch Function are set to all OFF. Touch Screen Setting must be set to ON to use the touch screen function.

Focus frame when EYE DETECTION SETTING

When using EYE DETECTION SETTING, only focus frame on eye is displayed.

Improvement of AF/AE area tracking when using EVF

When using the EVF, tracking function for AF/AE area movement by touch screen is improved.

Push function of the Focus stick when INTERVAL TIMER SHOOTING

The push function is disabled when INTERVAL TIMER SHOOTING.

FLICKER REDUCTION function

The options are changed from ON/OFF to ALL FRAMES/FIRST FRAME/OFF. And when choosing FIRST FRAME, the speed of CH continuous shooting is improved.

Message when IMAGE TRANSFER ORDER

If there is no image of TRANSFER ORDER when turning on a camera, no message appears.

Fix of slight defects.

Ver.2.10

The firmware update Ver.2.10 from Ver.2.00 incorporates the following issues:

Regarding the details of No.1 download the “X-T3 New Features Guide” from our website.

Recording over 4GB movie file as one file

Movie files are no longer split when the file reaches 4GB file size. The file is recorded as one file providing an SD memory card greater than 32GB is used (excludes 32GB) (*1).
*1:By using SD memory cards less than or equal to 32GB, movie recording will continue without interruption when the file size reaches 4GB, however subsequent footage will be recorded to a separate file.
Note:Format SD memory cards before first use, and be sure to reformat all memory cards after using them in a computer or other device.

Fix of slight defects.

Ver.2.00

The firmware update Ver.2.00 from Ver.1.02 incorporates the following issues:

Regarding the details of No.1,3 and 6 download the “X-T3 New Features Guide” from our website.

4K HDR video recording in Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)

Supports 4K HDR video recording in the Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG), one of the formats defined in the ITU-R BT.2100 international standards (*1). It allows the capture of rich and realistic images in a scene where there is a huge gap between highlight and shadow, or subjects with high color saturation.
*1:Only compatible with H.265(HEVC). Please enjoy with television or display compatible with HLG formats.

Simultaneous output of Film Simulation and F-Log footage (*2)

Supports simultaneous output of Film Simulation and F-Log footage. It allows you to record in F-Log while checking Film Simulation image on an external monitor.
*2:Not compatible with 59.94P/50P, FHD high speed rec., 4K interframe NR, and HDMI output info display mode. Also, cannot choose different image size (4K/FHD) for HDMI output and internal SD card recording.

Display color temperature (Kelvin) on EVF/LCD

Color temperature (Kelvin) can be displayed on EVF/LCD.

Supports slower shutter speeds with DCI4K/4K

29.97P/25P/24P/23.98P (*4) Slower shutter speeds than the framerate can be selected with 4K 29.97P/25P/24P/23.98P. *4:Cannot select slower shutter speed than framerate with DCI/4K 59.94P/50P or DCI4K/4K/FHD Long GOP recording. For detail, refer to the Shutter Speed in the “Movie Recording Mode” list.

Compatible with ALL-Intra and maximum bitrate 400Mbps with H.264

Using H.264 compression, you will now to be able to select ALL-Intra at a maximum bitrate of 400Mbps.

Display power supply icon

Power supply icon is displayed on EVF/LCD while using AC adapter (AC-9VS), or Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD (*5) and Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD (*6).
*5:Anker and PowerCore are trademark or registered trademark of Anker Innovations Limited or associated companies.
*6:Product may not be available on your country.

Fix of slight defects.

Ver.1.02

The firmware update Ver.1.02 from Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:

The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, the buttons cannot be used while using histogram display or sports finder.

The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, RAW image cannot be recorded normally under a certain conditions (Sports finder mode, continuous shooting with electronic shutter and so on)

Fix of slight defects.

Ver.1.01

The firmware update Ver.1.01 from Ver.1.00 incorporates the following issues:

Compensation of distortion is optimized in CH shooting with electronic shutter.

The phenomenon is fixed that the mechanical LOCK of some SD cards is not recognized.

Fix of other slight defects

Hmmmm......  Good Point.  I think what we are all waiting for was a promised (rumored) upgrade of the XT-3 firmware definitely due to arrive on or about sometime last May/June or so.  All the others upgrades were earlier.  I likely just need to get over my disappointment with the XT-4.  Hopefully the XH-2 will have a real useful LCD instead of a flippy toy.  I really would like to move up to IBIS.

2 hours ago, Lumens said:

Hmmmm......  Good Point.  I think what we are all waiting for was a promised (rumored) upgrade of the XT-3 firmware definitely due to arrive on or about sometime last May/June or so.  All the others upgrades were earlier.  I likely just need to get over my disappointment with the XT-4.  Hopefully the XH-2 will have a real useful LCD instead of a flippy toy.  I really would like to move up to IBIS.

I'd expect the X-H2 to have the flip screen, since the X-H line is Fuji's most video oriented and the flip screen is a video thing.

I was surprised when the X-T4 got it, the flip screen should have been only on the X-H's and the X-A/X-Tx00 line. Fuji's dual-tilt screen is the best implementation of a screen for stills work and should be maintained on the X-Tx line and added to the X-Tx0's too.

Edited by mawz

22 hours ago, mawz said:

I'd expect the X-H2 to have the flip screen, since the X-H line is Fuji's most video oriented and the flip screen is a video thing.

I was surprised when the X-T4 got it, the flip screen should have been only on the X-H's and the X-A/X-Tx00 line. Fuji's dual-tilt screen is the best implementation of a screen for stills work and should be maintained on the X-Tx line and added to the X-Tx0's too.

That we definitely agree on.  When the XH-1 came out it was a camcorder version of the XT-2 and word was the "H" stood for Hybrid so the XH series would lean toward a camcorder for videographers.  I was quite happy when I heard that because it meant the XT series would remain a camera.  But then Fuji betrayed us and came out with the XT-4 camcorder version of the XT-3 - It is in fact the expected XH-2 only Fuji screwed up in MAJOR fashion by calling it an XT.

You are 500% correct "Fuji's dual-tilt screen is the best implementation of a screen for stills work and should be maintained on the X-Tx line".  I use the dual-tilt screen on my XT-2 & 3 every time I go out.  It is essential in the way I shoot.  That flippy thing is only good for turning it around and adoring yourself!

Currently it does look like my XT-2 & 3 are simply going to have to last me a long time as I will NOT be purchasing anything that has a flippy thing hanging off the side and in the way.  I would like to upgrade to IBIS, but will not do so unless the XH-2 has the dual-tilt screen.