XT4 dead after firmware update

LEEP

1) Just tried updating my nice new x-t4 to firmware 1.02 and now my camera is 'dead' !. Have tried leaving battery out for a few hours but that has not worked, . Have e-mailed Fuji and am waiting for their reply. Will also talk to shop where I purchased camera to see what they say. At the moment regretting my purchase . 😠

2) Received mail from Fuji Sweden , seems a nice helpful chap. Said to hand it into shop who can then send it off to Sweden for a 're-boot' and check.

Delivered to camera shop where I purchased it and they will now send it to Fuji in Sweden.

So fingers crossed all will be back to normal soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Used SanDisk 300Mb/s 64gb. cards

As of today's date (14/07 ) camera still with Fuji Sweden being 're-booted' ( reminds me of my early days when I was a Computer Operator booting up a ICL 1900 series mainframe computer in the morning at work !!- showing my age there ! ) so cannot really add more info.

Thank you all though for your comments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mailed Ib at fuji in Sweden to find out what is happening with my X-T4 and was told that they could not help but that I should contact seller in DK. to get any details.

Was also informed that due to Corona virus fujifilm is short staffed and that it may take longer than the 'usual' 3-6 weeks !!!!.

FIngers crossed I get it back (in perfect condition)  by Christmas !! 😞 😞 .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update :-

Received my X-t4 ( which 'died' after 5 weeks ) back from Fujifilm Nordic this week ( after being without it for 4 weeks ). Says " Repaired-Main Circuit" .

I updated camera and lens with latest firmware ( via PC this time- last time via iphone ) without any problems so fingers crossed I will not have any more problems.

🤞🤞🤞📷📷📷 .

Edited by LEEP
Just to update what is happening.

im new to this forum but no stranger to fuji 
@LEEP sorry to hear your having issues as well! 
I’ve been shooting on an xt1 since the first release, I just upgraded to the xt4 last week. 
As soon as I unpacked it, fiddled with it and connected it to my phone, it prompted for a firmware update and I figured why not.... bad move? Jury is still out. 

since then, randomly, maybe every third time I go to use the camera it won’t turn on. I’ll have to completely remove the battery and put it back in and it fires right up. It doesn’t happen every time, but enough to be obnoxious for. $2k camera. 

Formatted the cards, checked power settings etc. Fully charged the batteries. 

Yesterday I did the new firmware update to 2.54 hoping for the issues to be fixed. 
Nope. 

If anything, it’s even more buggy now, still won’t turn on randomly. 

And there’s another issue with the kit lens 16-80 f4, where at f4 it won’t auto focus if I’m zoomed in. But I can cycle power, and if it turns on then it’ll focus again. I haven’t looked into this one yet. 

Im hoping it all gets resolved with firmware, I’m patient for now. 

hopefully all goes well with yours, I’m hoping to not have to send it off 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, mjcmt said:

This sounds horrible. It may not be the time to upgrade to this camera. I read Fuji rushed to release this camera early to have it available for the Olympics.

Yeah, that sounds bad.  Check my post.  There is one dude, on the forum, and Ken Wheeler, who is trying to be helpful, to which I am very thankful.  Usually I try to wait at least 6 months to 1 year before buying.  Risky being a consumer tester for a new product.  In my case, I too had issues.  The "What Have You Done?" post.  Took it back the next day, but am willing to be as helpful as I can be.  If I don't have the answer, I'll ask around.  I'll definitely remain active in the forums, as I really do want to try and help Fujifilm make the XT-4 better.  Regardless of the hate I get from the fan boys.  I was given a beat down by "Experts and Fan Boys".  I forgive them.  And I still remain to be as helpful as I can be.  And Yes, I'm saving for new XT-4.  I'm taking the risk.  I believe that it can be a legend, once it is refined.

So things are getting better for some reason since the update. I will say, this update I had a freshly formatted sd card in, and a fresh battery. The first firmware update I didn’t have a card in yet, the phone prompted it and I just clicked. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe not. 
Either way. I did the firmware update last week and over the weekend got about 1200 pictures and a few hours of 4k 60/24 in f-log, long gop. So here’s all the quirks I can think of since the last update

At first it was still randomly not turning on, and the focus was acting strange. 
Re-formatted both cards and kept trying it. 
Since Saturday, it has turned on every single time. 
I haven’t noticed the focus issue as bad, it still happens, I think it happens more for stills in lower light. 
I did over heat the camera. I was kind of surprised but I’ve also never over heated a camera before. It was about 95° all weekend, out on the boat in the sun shooting 4k 60. I think I maybe got 15 minutes of clips before it overheated, I’ll have to time it next time. It took awhile to cool down as well, but was completely fine afterwards.

Aside from that, it’s been great, the photo quality, and dynamic range is impressive so far

I updated to v 1.02 firmware on my X-T4 today and have the same experience.  Turn the camera on and I see the LCD but the EVF and all buttons on the camera do not work.  After about 10 seconds the EVF comes alive and all is well.  The buttons work and the camera seems fine.  Turn it off and the same thing happens when turned back on.  This needs to be fixed soon.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:00 AM, bpmccammon said:

I updated to v 1.02 firmware on my X-T4 today and have the same experience.  Turn the camera on and I see the LCD but the EVF and all buttons on the camera do not work.  After about 10 seconds the EVF comes alive and all is well.  The buttons work and the camera seems fine.  Turn it off and the same thing happens when turned back on.  This needs to be fixed soon.

I have about the same problem with my brand new X-T4 also (I use lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR if that matters). I have two Sony TOUGH SF-G64T (V90, UHS-II, about 300 MB/s Read/Write speed) 64 GB SD cards in the camera, that was formatted in the camera before I used them. I have latest firmware in both the camera (ver. 1.02) and lens (ver. 1.05). I did not expect such problem with a brand new X-T4. Only way for me to get out of the freeze is to take out the battery and then the camera respond to user input again. If not Fujifilm will fix the problem rather soon, if it is a firmware problem, I will have to consider returning the brand new camera. Major flaw in my opinion. To bad I like it otherwise.

/Bo

Edited by bem

On 7/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, Kasumi3344 said:

I do remember reading from the website, and from Ken Wheeler that you need to use an SD card for updating.  Ken Wheeler highly recommends using SanDisk 300Mb/s cards.  Just relaying information.

I have posted here that my X-T4 freezes for about 10 seconds after turning it on.  After the pause, everything works as normal.  I called Fuji tech support in New Jersey this morning and discussed the problem. After being told that (a) they had not heard of similar problems and (b) that usually this type of problem is 'user error' , I am shipping my X-T4 to them for repair under warranty. I've upgraded firmware MANY times on X-T1, X-T2, and X-T3 cameras without issue.  This is not a new process to me.  The X-T4 shows that v 1.02 firmware is installed. I do NOT think this is 'user error'.  

I'm reporting here in case it may be of use/value to others.

Glad my X-T3 is still a reliable workhorse.

bpmccammon,
I hope Fujifilm support or service department is able to repeat the problem You have with Your camera with firmware 1.02 installed.
What lens and firmware version in the lens did You have for your X-T4?
I have lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR with firmware 1.05 (latest version for that lens), and my X-T4 has firmware 1.02 (latest version).
I was thinking maybe the lens and camera combination and their firmware together can create the unlucky situation for me?
I have not a clue.

I do not know how common it is to use a lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR on a X-T4 but in my country (Sweden) they sell it combined in one package as one alternative (the other alternative is package X-T4 with lens XF 16-55mm F2.8 R LM WR).
Both package alternatives (camera house and lens) is cheaper to buy, then to buy camera house empty and lens separate.
If it turn out the cause in my case is a firmware problem it may indicate a quality problem at Fujifilm. If a product has a software it is equal important they test the software carefully before release to public for download on their homepage, as to make sure the hardware (camera and lens combination) works without major problems. In my case I consider a freeze of all buttons and dials to be as bad as it can be making the camera useless (unless You know how to take the camera out of the situation). I know now by my own trail and error that if If take out the battery and insert it again, and turn the camera On all will work again with the camera (until next freeze, that can happen sooner or later, not predictable). It is called beta phase or similar when they test for problems that needs to be corrected. I feel like a beta tester now and I prefer not to be that for free for any company. But it can of course be a hardware problem in my X-T4 that is the root cause to the problem with random freeze of my camera. But that indicate quality problems also perhaps. Do they make the X-T4 outside Japan or in Japan?

/Bo

Edited by bem

13 minutes ago, bem said:

bpmccammon,
I hope Fujifilm support or service department is able to repeat the problem You have with Your camera with firmware 1.02 installed.
I have lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR with firmware 1.05 (latest version for that lens), and my X-T4 has firmware 1.02 (latest version).
I was thinking maybe the lens and camera combination and their firmware together can create the unlucky situation for me?
I have not a clue.

I do not know how common it is to use a lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR on a X-T4 but in my country (Sweden) they sell it combined in one package as one alternative (the other alternative is package X-T4 with lens XF 16-55mm F2.8 R LM WR).
Both package alternatives (camera house and lens) is cheaper to buy, then to buy camera house empty and lens separate.

/Bo

Same as you -  XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR . Firmware was 1.01 I think . Hoping Fuji Sweden will let me know why it 'died' when I get the camera back . Camera 'died' before I could update lens firmware.

Same package offerings here in Denmark as 'Over there ' 🙂 in Sweden . / Lee

Edited by LEEP

It is easy to think a certain camera, like X-T4, has lot of problems when reading a forum like this on the X-T4. I'm sure there are many happy X-T4 owners out there but it is a fact that it is several people now including me that has real strange problems with this camera.
Maybe it is related to later production units since mine is brand new? It is not uncommon when a product is very popular (and I believe this X-T4 is) that as demand rise the quality may go down. I do not say that is a fact in this case but it is a risk maybe?

I can return the camera to the company I bought it from anytime to ask for warranty repair. I consider both hard- and software to fall under warranty so it is Fujifilm that has resonsibility to get the camera to work normally with their own firmware, at least that is the only reasonable way to interpret warranty these days when it is software in a camera that control so much in it.
I can even return the camera within 14 days from date after I received it (on July 10) so latest July 24 I can return it no questions asked. I hope I will get some answer from Fujifilm Nordic regarding the support I e-mailed them yesterday July 13, so far not any answer (not even an e-mail response they have received my e-mail). I will contact the company I bought my camera (Scandinavian Photo) soon and tell them I have a supportcase with my brand new camera and that I may return it if Fujifilm has not given any sign of action before July 24 when the returndate ends for me. It is a special distance sale law in my country that gives a consumer (not a company) right to return a product bought online (from a company in my country) no questions asked within 14 dags from buyer received the product (the 14 days start to count from day after one received the product, if end day is on a wekend it ends first day after weekend, on a monday). Pretty neat law these days when one buy almost everyting online.
/Bo 

Edited by bem

Hi Kasumi3344,

You are right, when I opened the SD card hatch I could see "Made in China".
So they have changed over to make the X-T4 in China nowadays instead of Japan?
I think I would have prefered a Made in Japan X-T4 for several reasons I will not tell You public.
Can I tell from the serial number that is shown also in my photo what date the camera was made?
The camera is brand new but I do not know how long it sat on the reseller "Scandinavian Photo" shelf before I bought it.
/Bo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bem

12 hours ago, bem said:

bpmccammon,
I have not a clue.

If it turn out the cause in my case is a firmware problem it may indicate a quality problem at Fujifilm. If a product has a software it is equal important they test the software carefully before release to public for download on their homepage, as to make sure the hardware (camera and lens combination) works without major problems. In my case I consider a freeze of all buttons and dials to be as bad as it can be making the camera useless (unless You know how to take the camera out of the situation). I know now by my own trail and error that if If take out the battery and insert it again, and turn the camera On all will work again with the camera (until next freeze, that can happen sooner or later, not predictable). It is called beta phase or similar when they test for problems that needs to be corrected. I feel like a beta tester now and I prefer not to be that for free for any company. But it can of course be a hardware problem in my X-T4 that is the root cause to the problem with random freeze of my camera. But that indicate quality problems also perhaps. Do they make the X-T4 outside Japan or in Japan?

/Bo

I install my X-series firmware updates without a lens attached.  I use Lexar cards exclusively.  I am in Washington State in the USA and my camera was purchased through B&H in New York.  My X-T4 was made in China.

bpmccammon,
I must admit I had the lens attached when firmware 1.02 for the camera was installed. I had only the firmware file FWUP0024.DAT on a brand new card and new in camera formatted Sony Tough SF-G64T (V90, UHS-II, 300 MB/s Read/Write) SD card. Nothing in the instruction for updating firmware for the camera say to have lens deattached during firmware upgrade. The firmware can only do something to the camera so I do not think it matter if lens is attached or not during firmware upgrade of camera itself. And the firmware upgrade went fine and said it finished OK and to turn off camera and I did. So there is no reason I think the firmware upgrade was not fully successful. Same with lens firmware upgrade to version 1.05 for my lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR. Hats of to Fujifilm for upgrade of firmware is so easy. 
/Bo

Edited by bem

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody. I have this same problem - camera (fujifilm xt4) dead after firmware upgrade from 1.20 to 1.21 ;( the last news from service: we wait for parts from japan - main board ;( i upgrade camera by camera remote app in phone. And probably thats was a very bad idea :(