How good is the improved lens on 100V?

I've been shooting w/ x100T for 4 years and the new 'V' version looks like a nice upgrade.

My main issue w/ 'T' is at close focus wide open it's horribly soft. I've read an extensive lens review of 'V', which concluded the new 'V' has less resolution, but higher contrast with no haze, so it has a perceived sharper look up close wide open. I saw a photo from an owner on the other Fuji forum in this situation and I wasn't all that impressed. What do owners of x100V here say about the new lens?

Edited by mjcmt

I’m not sure that the new lens has less resolution. The ‘old lens’ was designed for a 12/16Mp sensor. I’ve once read that Fuji designs the current XF lenses for approx. 32Mp max.

Nevertheless I can tell you the new lens is a clear step up. The ‘close focus haze’ is gone and that alone was for me a big improvement compaed to the The typical corner softness is mostly gone and visually I’d say that the V is now at least as good as the XF23/f2 (if not better). Having said that, the XF23/f1.4 still ‘beats’ the two f2’s. In contrast, micro contrast, color rendering and overall sharpness.

The question is where do you use it for? Typical street and reporting photography often doesn’t need razor sharp corners. Portability and inconspicuous format are more important. The Summicrons and the Voigtlanders aren’t perfect either, but they have a kind of ‘magic’ that the X100-series has too. I think you can call that ‘sprezzatura’ (the imperfection that makes perfect). For pixel peepers and e.g. critical landscape and archtecture work I’d recommend the 1.4.

However, dpreview.com has X100V sample RAF-files you can download and peep for yourself. They also did a good comparison of IQ between the V and the F.

Edited by Herco

Thanks Herco for your personal insights. DP review was the reviewers stating resolution being slightly lower wide open, but higher contrast and corner sharpness, by design. I usually shoot street and candids with my 100T, but also nature and structures quite often close. The softness and haze really irritates me. When I've seen photos and medium distances the 100V looks fantastic, but when I saw minimum focus distance wide open I was a bit disappointed.