50R vs X100V

Hello everyone! 👋🏻

I'm pleased to e-meet ye all. 

I've recently sold my Canon EOS R and Leica Q to return to Fuji. I currently own the X100 original but am looking for another body. I have always been in love with the 50R but it's been out of my price range, nor do I have any experiences with MFT. 

I've adopted the minimalistic lifestyle, therefore I've fallen in love with the idea of one lens, one camera. So I was dead set on the X100V and left the 50R as just a "dream camera"... until I found out the sale prices on the 50R and the 50mm (my dream set up for street). 

Even with the sale price, the 50R and the 50mm are still 3 times the price of a new X100V. But I am so in love with that medium format look. It's stunning. I am not a professional by any means, just a simple hobbyist. So for me to dish out 3x the price of the x100v is a tough pill to swallow. 

I don't need anything super fast. I don't mind the size of the 50R as I'm not one that goes around and snaps random shots of people (not that there is anything wrong with this style, it's just not what I am interested in), so I don't really need a small camera to be discreet. I live in Vietnam and have talked to the local street food vendors and majority of the consensus are they actually dislike street photographers with smaller cameras as it's quite creepy. Like a private investigator spying. They rather have the person with a bigger camera or any camera actually but just politely ask for the shot. Now I know this defeats the purpose of those street photographers that like to go out and shoot people like that, but to me, I understood their side and decided it is a bit odd actually. However, after hearing that, I'm not 100% sure I want the X100V anymore. Not that I am that type of photographer, but I just don't want to be pre-labelled. 

I've watched videos of the AF system on the 50R while using the 50mm and I am quite satisfied. Coming from the x100, the 50R AF speed is welcomed. Plus I've been exploring manual focus a lot recently with the x100 OG. I understand the 50R is larger than the X100V but I mostly wear a backpack daily anyways. The grip doesn't bother me as I have smaller hands and in fact the grip on the X100 is actually pretty decent and fits my hands. I only added the thumb hotshoe grip so I can get rid of straps. 

So employed during this pandemic, I start to wonder how much more worth the 50R is compared to the X100V? I'm not broke or in any serious financial situation, but the thought of spending 3x more than the X100V with an uncertain future is a bit nerve wreaking. But, this is the closet I've ever been to being able to purchase the 50R and the 50mm (which is the set up I'd like). 

So my question to all ye that have the 50R or used to have the 50R... if it were you, which would you purchase? I've thought of purchasing the V first and then come back for the 50R later on but I'm tired of buying gear. I will be the first to admit, I had a serious case of GAS but I've managed to kick that to the curb. 

I'd like to hear your thoughts, opinions, and reasons why you would go with either or system. 

Much love! I hope everyone out there is staying safe and have a great day! 

Phuc

I have never owned a X100 series camera. I do hear they are very compact and portable, and amazing.  I have owned the "rangefinder" styl X-E1 which got my started with Fuji then I stupidly sold it and bought the XT1, XT2, and XH1.  I've always loved the X-E1 so when Fuji came out with the 50R for me it was the BEST of both worlds.  Medium Format (harking back to my Mamiya 645 AFD Film cameras) AND a rangefinder style.  Now, I've owned the 50r since November and I must say I try and use it for everything as much as possible.  I've even used the 50R to shoot a children's soccer match -- which I do not recommend LOL. Anyway, I ramble.  Except for one thing:  I love the small form factor of my X-E1 as it fit in my work briefcase so I now have the 27mm 2.8 pancake mounted on my X-T1 which is comparably tiny and carry that to the office and back.  However, there is no comparison to using the 50r.  If you can afford it, and maybe justify it's use and expense, I'd go for that.  But if you are only shooting for online purposes then it's overkill. I shoot for various agencies, plus stock doing travel and landscape and the camera will pay for itself in a matter of a year or so; plus, as a small business I can depreciate it and save some tax.  Hope that helps somewhat, but I would sit and consider what it is you want to accomplish and how to go about it.  and as you may have read in my profile I have never ever shot street, and never will as I can't stand people. LOL so I can't help. you there.  Good Luck and please let the community know what you've decided.

5 hours ago, jlmphotos said:

I have never owned a X100 series camera. I do hear they are very compact and portable, and amazing.  I have owned the "rangefinder" styl X-E1 which got my started with Fuji then I stupidly sold it and bought the XT1, XT2, and XH1.  I've always loved the X-E1 so when Fuji came out with the 50R for me it was the BEST of both worlds.  Medium Format (harking back to my Mamiya 645 AFD Film cameras) AND a rangefinder style.  Now, I've owned the 50r since November and I must say I try and use it for everything as much as possible.  I've even used the 50R to shoot a children's soccer match -- which I do not recommend LOL. Anyway, I ramble.  Except for one thing:  I love the small form factor of my X-E1 as it fit in my work briefcase so I now have the 27mm 2.8 pancake mounted on my X-T1 which is comparably tiny and carry that to the office and back.  However, there is no comparison to using the 50r.  If you can afford it, and maybe justify it's use and expense, I'd go for that.  But if you are only shooting for online purposes then it's overkill. I shoot for various agencies, plus stock doing travel and landscape and the camera will pay for itself in a matter of a year or so; plus, as a small business I can depreciate it and save some tax.  Hope that helps somewhat, but I would sit and consider what it is you want to accomplish and how to go about it.  and as you may have read in my profile I have never ever shot street, and never will as I can't stand people. LOL so I can't help. you there.  Good Luck and please let the community know what you've decided.

Thank you for words. One thing I did take notice to what you mention is being a non-professional or for online / social media work. That’s what I am. I am not a professional and will probably not take advantage of print. I am hoping to eventually gain some traction and take my photography into a professional career, but for now, everything I do is posted on social media. So you think the 50R is out of my league? Or not worth the value? 

The reasons why I would even consider this camera is the hopes of starting a career in photography. With that being said, I was advised to just go for it. I’m not the type to constantly upgrade my system. I like to just have 1 or 2 and use it until I have no use or I have surpassed it’s use. I don’t mind the size or weight (they do suck) but I’m used to carrying around a Canon EOS R with the 24-105 daily. The weight of the 50R and 50mm is very welcomed. I was considering the x100v but I love the 50R too much. But eventually I will still pick up the 50R, however if I pick up the 50R first, I’d probably won’t pick up the x100v since I already have the X100 OG. 

I have thought of going back to full frame since they’re more affordable and some can achieve the same look as a MFT, but I am in love with Fuji colours and Fuji does not have any full frame systems. I’ve owned Fuji’s; Canon; and Leica, and in my opinion Fuji trumps all for colour. Canon science is a close second. Hence why the 50R seems like the most perfect camera for me. In my opinion... 

Edited by PhucHong

9 hours ago, PhucHong said:

Thank you for words. One thing I did take notice to what you mention is being a non-professional or for online / social media work. That’s what I am. I am not a professional and will probably not take advantage of print. I am hoping to eventually gain some traction and take my photography into a professional career, but for now, everything I do is posted on social media. So you think the 50R is out of my league? Or not worth the value? 

The reasons why I would even consider this camera is the hopes of starting a career in photography. With that being said, I was advised to just go for it. I’m not the type to constantly upgrade my system. I like to just have 1 or 2 and use it until I have no use or I have surpassed it’s use. I don’t mind the size or weight (they do suck) but I’m used to carrying around a Canon EOS R with the 24-105 daily. The weight of the 50R and 50mm is very welcomed. I was considering the x100v but I love the 50R too much. But eventually I will still pick up the 50R, however if I pick up the 50R first, I’d probably won’t pick up the x100v since I already have the X100 OG. 

I have thought of going back to full frame since they’re more affordable and some can achieve the same look as a MFT, but I am in love with Fuji colours and Fuji does not have any full frame systems. I’ve owned Fuji’s; Canon; and Leica, and in my opinion Fuji trumps all for colour. Canon science is a close second. Hence why the 50R seems like the most perfect camera for me. In my opinion... 

If you’re not planning to print I wouldn’t worry too much about differences in image quality. Given the size, resolution, bit depth and color gamut of screens you’ll probably will not see much difference. Besides, with the EOS R and the Leica Q you already had two very capable cameras and are used to good quality images. The additional resolution and dynamic range of the GFX compared to the X100V will likely go unnoticed. You might want to check-out dpreview.com and download sample RAF files for both cameras and edit them to your liking to check for yourself. If you do start printing images take a look at e.g. https://design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php to find out what resolution you need for what print size.

In terms of color science, most of that becomes visible in the in-camera jpeg processing. There you’ll see clear differences between brands. In RAW virtually all differences can be mitigated in post and you could make a Leica image look like a Fuji (and vice versa) in terms of color. I’m not sure whether you shoot in jpeg or raw, but that’s something to take notice of. Obviously the Fuji jpeg processing in GFX and X100V is equally great. Just make sure the monitor you use is calibrated before judging colors.

I have an X100V and I’m now using a GFX50S on loan. I know the S is not the R in terms of handling, but underlying technology is the same. I’ve been using medium format in the ‘film days’ and although the GFX is a great improvement in terms of ergonomics and ease-of-use, there’s still a big difference between APS-C (like the X100V) and medium format (albeit cropped like the GFX). Besides the obvious points like AF speed, handling, size and weight, there’s one thought I like to give you: focusing. Many amateur images lack quality because of incorrect focus. Even with AF. A medium format camera with it’s different focal lengths and high resolution is esp. critical to correct focusing. Something you have to practice for while. Don’t underestimate that. Even pro’s sometime struggle.

Finally, from what I’ve been reading you seem to have your heart set to a GFX. If that’s really the case -and you can affort it- follow it. Even when the X100V seems the smartest choice, when using it you will always think of that GFX... After all, you were already used to paying a premium price considering the Leica Q which is close to the cost of a GFX50R with the 50mm.

Edited by Herco

Hello, and thank you for responding!  It's great to hear feedback on the feedback!  If you are financially able to go the medium format route then only you can make that decision - that is my brain speaking.  My heart says:  Hell yes!  It's an amazing camera.  Before you make that leap have you considered renting one for a few days or a week?  Yes, it will cost you, but in the longterm it might save you money as you may find it's not for you.  I have to agree with Herco whereas if you are not going to print BIG then no worries.  I've printed gorgeous 30 x 20's with much smaller cameras.  Again: it boils down to technique more than anything else.  If you are pursuing going into photography as a career a medium format camera will "future proof" you for some time to come.  There is nothing like a medium format image!  And I have to disagree with your statement that FF is like MF.  It is not.  I've shot all three formats and even looking at images on the camera display, there is a difference.  However, you go with regards to a Fuji in all honesty you can't go wrong!

Good luck in all your future endeavors.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to throw in my two cents here. I have the Fuji GFX 50r and the 50MM pancake lens. This is a great street and general shooting 1-lens kit. As to the difference between FF and MF, I also agree with Jim, I see a difference in the color and resolution on screen (I have yet to print from my Fuji yet). A friend refers to this characteristic as the "special sauce," the combination of Fuji's sensor and lenses. Yes, I have FF Canon R6, the files are good, but there is a visual difference that to me looks richer with the 50r.  The shot of Mano was taken with the 50MM lens on the 50r.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The X-E4 is now a really great alternative also. If you want to shoot raw and use Capture One to process your images the 50R will be very satisfying. The 50R is definitely everything it is 'cracked up to be', you will not regret getting it, maybe you can find a used one.

• 6 months later...

If I may add my two cents and potentially make it more difficult here it comes :

I’ve shot an OG x100, sold it for a xt1 with primes / zooms and shoot a 50r for work (architecture). 

The files of the 50r are incredible compared to the xt1, but that is also older tech. I love the 4:3 ratio for portrait orientation (verticals). And the very long ratio (forgot what it precisely is) for landscapes. I would love to only have to edit 50r’s files, it’s a treat (DR, resolution, sharpness of lenses, colors, …). 

But when it comes to shooting … I see it more as a high quality tool that I mount on a tripod and that gets me the results I need and more. But I don’t particularly enjoy shooting it except for zooming a 100% on shots I just took to be amazed by the details I get out of it (that didn’t really get old yet). 

Going for a family hike or travel I’d much rather have my x kit with me, with all the small primes rather than the 50r’s big chunky zoom or TS primes. 

My dream photo kit ? 
x100v + a gfx (100?) with a bunch of lenses. 

If I could have only one camera ? 
An X series or a full frame mirrorless with a bunch of lenses. 

Edited by _Mz_