face/eye detection in selected area?

I'm new to the Fuji system and I would like to know if it's possible to set a focus zone and tell the camera to "only search for faces in that specific area", instead of hunting everywhere in the image and end up focusing on some passer-by in the background? Also, when face/eye detection isn't hitting the right target, what's the quickest way to manually toggle out of it? I tried moving my focus point with the joystick but the camera would fight me and keep picking up faces in the areas I don't want. Does anyone have a solution with this? I'm using an X-T30. 

Look through the user manual beginning on page 117 and on through 118, there is information explaining how to do these things. There is some more in later sections, but that is a good place to start. Note: if you do not have a copy of the manual, you can download it from Fujifilm.

I have read the manual. According to those pages, you can either rely on the intelligence of the camera or turn Face/Eye Detection off. What I'm trying to do is manually set a focus zone (for instance, the left side of frame) and tell the camera to only detect faces or try to focus on objects within that box, ignore everything outside. Does anyone know how (or if) I can do that?

5 hours ago, triptomoon said:

I have read the manual. According to those pages, you can either rely on the intelligence of the camera or turn Face/Eye Detection off. What I'm trying to do is manually set a focus zone (for instance, the left side of frame) and tell the camera to only detect faces or try to focus on objects within that box, ignore everything outside. Does anyone know how (or if) I can do that?

No you can't - its going to give preference to faces in the centre of the screen or you can touch the screen to select a face - but detection is throughout the screen

Restricting this ala the same way one sets the green box for autofocus sounds feasible as a firmware update. Hopefully, this is possible. Try dropping a note to Fujifilm via their contact pages or maybe try getting the folks over at FujiRumors to have a firmware request poll and include this feature. I understand the folks at FujiFilm read those.

In the mean time, I guess try to use the touchscreen to keep the detected area on the part of the screen you most want in focus by touching the faces in that region.