Best speedlight flash for the X-T4?

Cages2Clouds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have used both Nissin Di700 and the Godox ad200, both with a wireless trigger mounted on the camera hot shoe.

After seeing the much greater power. better value for the $ and adaptability of the Godox, I have sold the Nissin.

Highly recommend getting the optional Godox round head and extension cable which just plug onto and replace the standard fresnel rectangular head. Godox also make some very good magnetic accessories for the round head (filters, snoot, grid pattern / directional accessories that just clip on and off with magnets). Godox was much cheaper and better than the Nissin, and unfortunately you cannot pair the different brand lights together.

Godox also have a really wide choice of more powerful lights - only downside is their unhelpful user manuals but there are lots of how to guides for Godox products on you tube. Only the Godox wireless trigger is brand specific to Fuji (get the Pro model) - Godox lights and accessories are all generic so if you have to sell there will be a wide market for them. Google reviews of ad200 and you will see the following they have - you can also get the ad200 standard for about half the price of the ad200 pro and their is no appreciable real world difference in practice between the 2 units - but do get the round head accessory and cable meaning you can place them anywhere.

Only issue might be if you want to put your speed light on top of the camera hot shoe (not a good place anyway and ad200 is too heavy to be a camera attachment) - much better to have the speed light off camera on a tripod or light stand to hold it. 

I can recommend the Profoto A1X. It's pricy, but worth every penny once you've start using it. A cheaper alternative is the Godox V1, which is also quite good but can run hot under heavy load (and blocks) and the battery secure mechanism can cause issues after which the battery drops out unexpectedly. The first I experienced myself. The latter I heard on two occasions from reliable sources.

• 4 months later...

For an excellent general purpose and powerful speedlight, I recommend the Godox/Flashpoint (Adorama sells Godox flashes under its own Flashpoint brand) VING V860IIF TTL Li-Ion under the Godox name and a zoom Li-ion R2 TTL under the Flashpoint.  Power is a large battery that last an incredibly long time.  Either way, the flashes sell for $159. 

9 hours ago, bem said:

I use Profoto A1X (it is a newer A10 now) with Profoto "Connect". Very powerful flash. 

/Bo

The Profoto A1X is a great flash. The A10 even better. We use a lot of Profoto here in the studio and couldn't be happier about the quality.

However, unless it's your living depending on it, Profoto can be quite expensive. A nice alternative for the A1X is the Godox V1. It is a blatant copy of the A1X but at 30% of it's price. Only with very intense work you'll notice the difference (heat management, constant color temp and integration in a Profoto ecosystem). I guess nothing that an enthusiast would worry about.