Custom settings influence on other film simulations - X100V

Hi,

I have created my own 7 Custom Settings for Film Simulation with different values for Grain Effect, Color Chrome effect, WB, DR, Sharpness etc...etc. When I choose one of the 7 Film Simulations from the Q-menu all the added settings working correct. But if I choose another Film Simulation from the main menu, the values from the last used Custom Setting are following. This is irritating and didn't happen on my X100F. Anyone with experience in this matter?

Edited by Roger Solbakke
Problem

Sounds like you are selecting 'Film Simulation' from the main menu instead of 'Select Custom Setting' which is another option further down. The latter is the same as the one you are successfully using in the Q menu. The former will only change the film sim. Why not just use the Q menu?

On 6/26/2020 at 10:53 AM, Slugoon said:

Sounds like you are selecting 'Film Simulation' from the main menu instead of 'Select Custom Setting' which is another option further down. The latter is the same as the one you are successfully using in the Q menu. The former will only change the film sim. Why not just use the Q menu?

Always when selecting Custom Setting I can select one of the 7 I made and it works fine. But if I want to select another film sim. that is not among the 7, I want all the setting to 0 which seams not possible without changing them manually. Even if I Change from the q menu..

On 6/29/2020 at 9:53 AM, johant said:

I am surprised by your statement that this doesn’t happen on your F. Because I believe that is exactly how my F behaves. I will try later today.

As a workaround, you could always dedicate one custom setting to “everything on zero”.

Ok, so maybe I remember wrong about my previous F... Yes you are right about dedicating one of the 7, good idea! Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this!

The X100V is my first Fuji camera and I was very perplexed by this behaviour. At first I thought it was a lack of understanding from my part. I read the manual and I've searched around but couldn't find anything regarding this until now.

Like others, the only way I've found around this is to keep Custom setting #1 to default settings. So when I want to "reset" everything, I just select this custom setting.

Maybe they'll change the way this works in a firmware update... or maybe we're just missing something.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This has been driving me crazy on the X-T2! It makes no sense to have 7 custom settings and the settings from any of those will be applied to the built-in film simulations. 

So if I want to shoot my custom setting 1 with strong grain & high shadow one day and the next day I go select the built in Classic Chrome, lo and behold all the settings from the previous custom setting are being applied!

• 1 year later...

I just have custom setting #1 to use default settings.  The X-T5 has a “nothing selected” choice along with the seven custom settings so it’s possible they could add it with firmware update, but at this point I’d be surprised if they do. The X-T5 has other functions that are now saved in the custom settings that makes it more like a custom shooting situation than a film recipe.