Sales guy laughed at me...

Fran

I wonder how much truth is in that. I am far from an expert in the area, but I didn't see Canon or Nikon going out replacing all their high end lenses for use on Digital. I know some of the L series glass from Canon was designed prior to the Digital era. I'm sure the XF lenses are built to be a perfect match with the Fuji bodies and outperform the legacy glass.

I enjoy using adapted legacy lenses for their unique quality. They are fun to use, but I do use mostly the new Fuji lenses. 

If you mean what Mr. Ueno said in His interview here 

...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."

http://fujifilm-blog.com/2015/06/30/interview-with-mr-takashi-ueno-from-fujifilm-tokyo-why-dont-fujifilm-make-full-frame-dslr/

I believe that he is stating something correct in terms of the science governing the sensors as opposed to film. However, it appears that the new organic sensors to come will bypass that problem.

Fuji had tons of lens projects made in their glorious past which aren’t used now.

I imagine they didn't want to call much attention to it initially. All the nikon bodies I owned had a vignetting option in the menus.

that makes sense. More of an edge problem then center. Some of my Canon lenses did that too.

If you mean what Mr. Ueno said in His interview here 

...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."[/size]

http://fujifilm-blog.com/2015/06/30/interview-with-mr-takashi-ueno-from-fujifilm-tokyo-why-dont-fujifilm-make-full-frame-dslr/

I believe that he is stating something correct in terms of the science governing the sensors as opposed to film. However, it appears that the new organic sensors to come will bypass that problem.

Fuji had tons of lens projects made in their glorious past which aren’t used now.

interesting read. Thanks for sharing. It does make sense. It seems odd that other manufacturers didn't try to do the same, but maybe that's why it seems all of Fujifilm's lenses seem so good compared to the competition.

• 6 months later...

When I was young, I would have felt intimidated by a sneering sales person but now, I would have said "Fujifilm make an adapter for m39 lenses, don't they?" After asking if he could show me a fisheye or 500mm telephoto, it would be funny to see his face if asked if he could show me his sales person of the year award. "Don't tell me you don't have one of those either?"

I used my old(er) Minolta glass on my Fuji X-E1, and X-T1 for a while for fun.  I had the Minolta-Rokkor 58mm 1.4, a 16mm 2.8 Fisheye, and some others.  They worked very well in manual focus, were sharp and clear.  I bought the adapter for less than $20.00 US on Amazon.  

The sales guy was out of line.  I wouldn't go back there and if I did I'd make sure the owner knew.  There are too few camera stores less that don't need a black eye from disgruntled and angry customers that have to deal with individuals such as this.  And some wonder why many of us shop online...

• 2 weeks later...

There is no reason why you should not use third party lenses, provided you use a suitable adaptor. I just purchased a Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 135mm f3.5 Sonnar and it is excellent.

Yes, that is one of the few 'old' lenses I really love, together with my Pentax SMC Takumar 55mm. But in general, Fujinon XF lenses like the 35/1.4 are really good. So you're not missing too much when not trying older lenses, in my opinion. Edited by johant

Yes, that is one of the few 'old' lenses I really love, together with my Pentax SMC Takumar 55mm. But in general, Fujinon XF lenses like the 35/1.4 are really good. So you're not missing too much when not trying older lenses, in my opinion.

You'll be missing quite a bit of cash (^_~)

Seriously, though; it's great fun to try out the different lens-film simulation combinations. I love it that one moment one is taking modern fuji-pictures, the next, just changing lens and film emulation, you get an excellent approximation of the 'old photograph'-look.

A few months ago I asked the sales rep at my local camera store if I could use other lenses on my Fuji and he practically laughed at me, saying "Fuji is known for their glass, why would you put any other lens on your camera."  Since then, I have shyed  away from this topic, but now I'd like to hear what others have to say.  Is it a 'sin' to put a non-fuji lens on our cameras?

Fran am I right in thinking you are a lady, if so then the attitude of the salesman was very wrong indeed! But his advice in my mind was correct, but of course ya pays ya money so it's your choice. He was out of order.

Sales guys are... sales guys. They have their salary by the end of the month and must sell what the companies and the boss told them to sell. So, unless there is somebody you know personally and/or is serious about his job, never trust them.

Much better to take a look on the net, even though many times you have to take what you read not like the absolute truth. It's ok to build a personal opinion with the various tests you can see online, but in the end you always have to try yourself what you're looking for.

• 4 months later...

Camera store sales people make no money from people buying old lenses off ebay, markets etc. Let me assure you there is a world of fantastic glass out there at very reasonable prices if you're prepared to focus manually. Here's a review I just uploaded if you have the time to view https://youtu.be/5Z674h_sMcA + there are a few others and more coming in my channel. If you want AF and great glass then the Fuji range is exceptional, but you will pay more. 

I've used m42 lenses adapted to my Canon, and then when I got my X-T10, I used them with that too - at first because I didn't have any Fuji lenses, and now even with Fuji lenses, I use them because they are fun, and they have their own look and character which seems to be diminished with modern lenses that seem to seek sharpness as the defining characteristic. I use a Lens Turbo II for Canon EF mount (I have a Meyer Optik Somnium 85mm f/1.5 lens in EF mount) and use m42->EF to mount the old m42 lenses from ebay. At the moment, the MIR-24 35mm f/2 and Fuji 55mm f/1.8 lenses are my favourite...

There are many ways to sell things, the worst is belittling, patronizing and antagonizing a potential buyer even when he is not buying anything because, one day or another this person will be a buyer and will remember the way he or she was treated.

Often,this is an attitude held mostly by a certain type of know-it-all sales person, one who looks down on his customers who are all, to him, inferior human being which should drink at his source of all knowledge . More often than not, when one sales person is like that the rest in the shop also do the same thing.

One time treated like that I never set foot in that shop again. I vote with my wallet, here are so many places to chose from. If some shop is run like that I spend my money elsewhere where I am treated as a treasured customer.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought several FUJI lenses to go with a new X-T2. I then bought a Metabones adapter to use with various Nikon lenses. I am pleased with all configurations that I have tried. I went to a Los Angeles area FUJI rep demo and asked if he used the Metabones adapter and his answer was yes, he has one and has used it.

I particularly like my results with the adapter and either a 55mm or 105mm Micro Nikkor.

There are many ways to sell things, the worst is belittling, patronizing and antagonizing a potential buyer even when he is not buying anything because, one day or another this person will be a buyer and will remember the way he or she was treated.

Often,this is an attitude held mostly by a certain type of know-it-all sales person, one who looks down on his customers who are all, to him, inferior human being which should drink at his source of all knowledge . More often than not, when one sales person is like that the rest in the shop also do the same thing.

One time treated like that I never set foot in that shop again. I vote with my wallet, here are so many places to chose from. If some shop is run like that I spend my money elsewhere where I am treated as a treasured customer.

I poked my head into a hifi store once and asked if they sold a certain things I was looking for. The irritated sales manager replied, "If you don't know what we sell here then this store is not for you", with a sigh....... True, I never bought a single thing from them, ever.

However, as my presence in the industry became more prominent, he tried to play nice and cozy up. Till today, I've never dealt with nor recommended any of their products to any of my clients or projects.

Always buy or sell with a happy heart.

Edited by Aswald

• 2 weeks later...

You are all wrong. It's a sin and poor taste. Thus gift all your adaptable lenses to me!

:P

But for real I think the vast majority of sales people have been rude to me. I just ask questions, lots of questions. And I always say I did some research and I wanted to come in an experience the item first hand and would they be able to help me with that. And I never react to attitude, I just move on to the next question and try to develop a dialogue. Most of the time they do a 180.

• 4 weeks later...

FSize reduced from 5-1MB

Camera: Fujifilm X-E2s handheld

Lens: Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5

Adapter: K&F Concepts (Nikon to FujiX)

Works fine. Since everything is manual, exif does not record the lens data, f-stop etc., Prime-friendly. Zooms can be used but get a bit tricky because of multitude of adjustments. Easier to handle if camera is on tripod and the clock is not ticking too fast!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!