Sales guy laughed at me...

Fran

A few months ago I asked the sales rep at my local camera store if I could use other lenses on my Fuji and he practically laughed at me, saying "Fuji is known for their glass, why would you put any other lens on your camera."  Since then, I have shyed  away from this topic, but now I'd like to hear what others have to say.  Is it a 'sin' to put a non-fuji lens on our cameras?

Generally speaking, sales guy wants to sell to you bunch of new lenses instead of single adapter for your existing lenses.

Of course, there are a lot of technical reasons for not to put together things from different systems, because they are just not designed to match each other.. Sometimes adapting of parts works good, sometimes no.

Laughing at a customer seems rude to me. If he explained it nicely, it would have been better. As far as your question is concerned, I have other lenses from Canon but have not been tempted to use an adapter because it will defeat the very purpose of owning a mirrorless system which is less weight. Fuji lenses are sharp, the only thing I don't like about them is they can't focus well in low light.

Samyang (or their many incarnations) have great lenses ( I use the 8mm fisheye 2.8 and the 12mm f 2).

Of course there is Zeiss too with their TOUIT 12mm, 32mm, 50mm macro.

Then there are many other brands with special feature lenses ( Petzval, Lensbaby, Mitakon )

then there are all the “ legacy” lenses of the world with adapters........

True Fuji makes impressive glass but there is quite a choice out there.

Not at all. For one thing, Fuji simply does not make a really full line up of lenses yet. Say you wanted photograph in UV with the new UV and IR capable X-T1? You would probably use a Nikon or Pacific Optics lens because Fuji does not even make a UV capable or IR optimized lens to complement the camera. Need a 300/2.8, 400/2.8, (or even a 180/2.8)? ANY Fuji lens over 230mm? Not available in Fuji land. Yet.

Fortunately, Fuji cameras can be set up to record the focal length of an adapted lens in the EXIF. Fuji even makes its own Leica lens adapter. They can even do automatic corrections for some Leica lenses.

A few months ago I asked the sales rep at my local camera store if I could use other lenses on my Fuji and he practically laughed at me, saying "Fuji is known for their glass, why would you put any other lens on your camera."  Since then, I have shyed  away from this topic, but now I'd like to hear what others have to say.  Is it a 'sin' to put a non-fuji lens on our cameras?

OK, so then you asked this boorish sales rep to show you the Fuji XF 8mm fish-eye, the 105mm macro and the 500mm telephoto lenses? That would have wiped the smirk off his face. How rude, in any case, to laugh at a customer - bet you don't want to give him your business now, eh?

If you need something outside the range of Fuji's current offerings, your choice is to wait for them to produce such a thing or to get a third party lens. I'm very happy with the Fuji lenses I have, but I bought a Samyang fish-eye because I needed that kind of lens.

Unfortunately many sales people seem to think that if the assume a condescending and patronizing tone ( more so with ladies rather than gentlemen, even if they are a lady themselves!)  this will give them a position of authority which then would facilitate the sales they are attempting to make.

I usually walk out on them after informing their managers (if there is one) of the reason why I did that.

Sometimes they are simply uninformed and do not know all the things that we are hoping they will be able to advise us upon because, let’s face it, you have concentrated on one thing alone which you might have been researching on line for weeks before wanting to buy anything, while they have to have the knowledge of the entire shop and deal with difficult customers.

Some other times they are just a sanctimonious donkey or a parrot repeating what they have been told to say.

Nevertheless, in this day and age, you can easily buy on line for less or the same price so if you are going to a shop you want them, at the very least, to add a reason why shopping there.

This was and is one of my favorite themes in the Netherlands where all shops seem to, as by magic, sell the same products at the exact same price ( not a penny of difference) and they are not likely to give anything for free.

So buying here or there makes no difference in product or price then, at the very least, you expect that they would compete on “ service” right?

Anyway.

Be vocal about any of this, if you feel that you have been treated wrongly, do say so, don’t just walk out and shop somewhere else or online, remind them that if they want to keep their business open they better offer you more than you would get buying on line, they better give you a reason to shop there.

Service is ofte the only thing they have to offer since they don’t seem to be able or want to compete on price, if you don’t even get service why would you shop there?

Depending on what you want to achieve., yes and no.

Fujifilm cameras works best with their native lenses, as with all other camera brands. If your life depends on it or if you're a pro earning a living from taking photographs on assignments then a fuss free, efficient setup is what you may want to look at. In this scenario, native Fujifilm lenses is probably the way to go.

However, if you're an enthusiast or a photographer taking photos for your own enjoyment then please, you may use whatever lenses you can find an adapter for. In this respect, there is no "better" or "worse" lenses. There are only different lenses which gives different effect.

Pretty much every lens in a focusing mount has an adapter available. Some work very well, like my f/1.8 105mm Nikkor or horribly like my f1.8 50mm and f/2.0 90mm Canon Serenars. Both Serenars have flat rear elements, and while they worked very well with non-reflective film, clearly they reflect the light back and forth between the sensor and rear elements. With the Metabones Speed Booster, the 105mm performs beautifully, keeping its 105mm relative field of view and performing as a f/1.2. Using just an adapter gives me the FOV of a 157.5mm f/1.8.

I bought the chipped, removable lens hood version of the Samyang 8mm in a Nikon mount, so it is usable on both the D700, and the X-Pro1 with an adapter. The f/4.0 28mm PC-Nikkor can also serve as a shift-lens on the Fuji. While I have other lenses for the D700, these are the most useful. I do have some zooms and long lenses including an old solid glass 600mm built by Perkin Elmer, of Hubble fame. They work but are big and heavy for hand-holding. 

The downside is that they are all manual focus, aperture control may not be ideal and they lack the connections for writing to the EXIF metadata. And yes, these cameras are about superb Fujifilm glass. The Samyang is the only lens I carry all the time. The 105mm is carried when I plan to do head-hunting in low light. I have not actually used the shift-lens on a shoot, only tested it to see if it works. My 14, 18, 35 and 60mm Fujinons are my core kit. Even though I have those focal lengths covered with other lenses, I would not even think of using them in place of the Fujinons.

You can use almost any lens of a third party in Fuji X cameras. Some third parties lenses are XF mount (Samyang, Zeiss, Mitakon, Lensbaby, among others), rest of lenses need an adaptor to be used on fuji cameras.

Now, what is the result you want? Because that is the real answer you need to know to put a non-native lens in front of your camera. I have a couple of Zuiko OM (50 & 135) and I like the soft result for portraits. Also have a Takumar, Ricoh and Helios due to its swirly bokeh and a Nikon 80-200, which isn't tack sharp but for portraiture is very useful, because in post edition I don't have to soften the skins but in other fields -as nature- details remain.

The XF fujinons are the best when you need tack sharp images and AF. Although in post edition I can mimic the results of the legacy lenses, to me the time saved when having this results directly from shooting is a good reason to use legacy lenses.  

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first Fuji X (a used X-E1 somebody couldn't handle) just to have a digital platform for my Leica glass. As soon as I experienced the crop factor and the hit or miss focusing, and seeing the results of the kit 18~55/2.8-4, I sold the E1 at a profit and found me an X-E2 and -a few weeks ago- an X-Pro1 at a super price. I've substituted most of my Leica glass with three Fujinons. Farewell Leica!

Well that was kinda rude.  However, in a way it does make sense; Fuji has awesome glass.  But, if you have Contax, Leica, Minolta glass and I'm sure others then I can see trying to find an adapter to use those lenses.  I've used my Minolta 16mm 2.8 Fisheye, and my Minolta 58mm 1.2 on my X-E1, and my X-T1.  Both work fantastically well.

I would go online (say to Amazon) and do a search there.  Unless you feel comfortable going back to the store...

I love shooting with legacy, or vintage lenses. At the end of the day for professional work I tend to only shoot with my XF lenses. But I also buy and sell vintage lenses for review purposes, and every now and then one will be so great for the price point that it stays in my kit. My Tamron SP 90 is a prime example, I paid $7 for it, $20 for the adapter and now I have a 135 f/2.5 Macro lens that amazing when needed. 

Obviously, buying into a camera system is primarily about getting the system body in concert with system lenses. So if the system lenses don't please you for whatever reason (too expensive, wrong focal lengths, wrong speed, wrong design, too heavy, too light, too big, too small, etc.), look for another system.

However, having the shortest flange-back distance in the industry is a big X-mount USP, as it allows you to connect pretty much any lens that has ever been built for other system cameras (APS-C or full-frame). All you need is an adapter, and there are plenty of those available. Of course, adapting lenses will take away many features, so you will be limited. You'll always be operating at working aperture, there's only modes A or M, and of course there's no AF. OTOH, legacy lenses also open new opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of the XT-1, but I may adapt the body to my current legacy and digital Pentax K mount lenses that I currently own.  I will definitely get a couple of Fujinon XF lenses as well.

The lens could either be the XF16-55 or the 56/1.2 for a start and the 14/2.8.

I was adapting Nikkors to Fuji white there were not enough lenses. These times have passed now. Fuji has released everything I need. I'm totally satisfied with IQ. And Fuji native lenses work much better than adapted ones. Thus no need to adapt any more.

• 2 months later...

I switched Nikon->Fuji X-E1 last year and had a collection of manual Nikon glass so adapting them made sense. When I picked up a used X-E2 I also got a Fuji 18/2 and used that for a while. (Un)fortunately, the time with the adapted Nikon lenese has made me appreciate the ascetics of manual focus again and I have now picked up a Samyang 21/1.4 as my walkaround lens (and have passed my 18/2 onto my daughter with the X-E1).

Andy

• 1 month later...

As much as adapters are a great to make use of what you already have, adapted lenses cannot perform at the same level as native fuji lenses.

Legacy lenses, being made to be used on film, project light at an angle that is simply not the same as the one that the sensor can use within the scope of its capabilities , at least Mr. Ueno says so.

I have some adapters myself and I use them for the peculiarities of those lenses or adapters. I I ever come across the legendary 50.. f 1.9 Kern Macro Switar 

for not too much money I would buy it but wouldn’t expect to beat my Fuji 60mm macro at his own game.

According to Mr. Takashi Ueno in his interview given to the Fujifilm Blog he says the following:

http://fujifilm-blog.com/2015/06/30/interview-with-mr-takashi-ueno-from-fujifilm-tokyo-why-dont-fujifilm-make-full-frame-dslr/

“...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."

I have a few K mount lenses old school from the late 70's, picked up a £15 adapter, and with focus peaking on the XT-10, focussing is easy, Since the lenses have an aperture ring, it is no harder than using an XF lens in manual focus mode

Hoping to spend some time and actually use them soon when I do, I'll post a link to my flickr

As much as adapters are a great to make use of what you already have, adapted lenses cannot perform at the same level as native fuji lenses.

Legacy lenses, being made to be used on film, project light at an angle that is simply not the same as the one that the sensor can use within the scope of its capabilities , at least Mr. Ueno says so.

I have some adapters myself and I use them for the peculiarities of those lenses or adapters. I I ever come across the legendary 50.. f 1.9 Kern Macro Switar 

for not too much money I would buy it but wouldn’t expect to beat my Fuji 60mm macro at his own game.

I wonder how much truth is in that. I am far from an expert in the area, but I didn't see Canon or Nikon going out replacing all their high end lenses for use on Digital. I know some of the L series glass from Canon was designed prior to the Digital era. I'm sure the XF lenses are built to be a perfect match with the Fuji bodies and outperform the legacy glass.

I enjoy using adapted legacy lenses for their unique quality. They are fun to use, but I do use mostly the new Fuji lenses. 

I wonder how much truth is in that. I am far from an expert in the area, but I didn't see Canon or Nikon going out replacing all their high end lenses for use on Digital.

I imagine they didn't want to call much attention to it initially. All the nikon bodies I owned had a vignetting option in the menus.