Lense recommendation

Cillian burke

Hi

i recently purchased a xt20 and am wondering what lense I should purchase with it. I’m new to photography and I can’t envision me buying multiple lenses atm. I feel like I’ll take one lense when I go places. Is it worth spending a bit on the first lense so I have a good one rather than get a kit lense and then upgrading at a later date. Have been looking at 18-55 18-135 and 16-55. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks 

2 hours ago, Cillian burke said:

Hi

i recently purchased a xt20 and am wondering what lense I should purchase with it. I’m new to photography and I can’t envision me buying multiple lenses atm. I feel like I’ll take one lense when I go places. Is it worth spending a bit on the first lense so I have a good one rather than get a kit lense and then upgrading at a later date. Have been looking at 18-55 18-135 and 16-55. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks 

Hi Cillian, with the X-T20 the 16-55 is a bit large and heavy. It defies the purpose of a small compact body. Moreover it's not image stabilized (OIS) and having OIS can be a benefit esp. for anyone new to photography.

The 18-135 isn't much smaller than the 16-55 and despite the huge range of focal length it's reasonably good.

My recommendation however would be the 18-55 if you have budget and size considerations or the new 16-80 if you can spend a few hundred dollar/euro more. Both are really good in terms of image quality and cover the most used focal lengths.

Don't get overly exited about Weather Resistance of the 16-80. The X-T20 isn't so that remains 'the weak spot', but even more important: when you take a bit of care with your set an X-T20 combined with an 18-55 can withstand a light drizzle without problems. If you have one lens, you're not changing lenses outdoors. That's usually the crucial moment for mishaps anyway. WR or not-WR...

PS. whenever in the future you decide to a second lens I can recommend the 18-55 teamed up with the 14mm. They share the same filter diameter and are a very compact and awesome travel set. Often undervalued...but the 14mm is almost as good as the famous 16mm/1.4

Edited by Herco

I would second the recommendations of Herco. Asking what lens to buy is a difficult question without knowing what kind of photography you will be doing. The 18-55 is a great lens and gets very good reviews from many Fuji users.Once you learn what kind of pictures you like taking, it will become obvious to you what lens you are missing, telephoto, portrait, wide angle, etc..

Enjoy the Fuji platform!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cillian. Of the lenses you listed above, the 16-55 and 18-55 are the best. However the first it's f/2.8 along all the focals while the second it's f/4 at the longest. But it has the OIS which the 16-55 lacks of. The difference between the two is not enormous but the 18-55 is sensibly cheaper. Don't put your attention on the words "kit lens", it doesn't mean anything.
If you could (and want) to buy a couple lenses, I'd go for the 18-55 and 55-200 and you'll cover basically all focals.

I own TWO copies of the 18-55 which I LOVE as well as the 16-55 2.8.  Both are amazing lenses.  The 16-55 may prove a bit "front heavy" on the smaller camera. And the choice of lenses depends on what you will be photographing.  Let us know and someone here will have further recommendations.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem when I bought my new camera. It cost a lot of money, so I didn't want to buy a bad lens that would ruin the quality of the photos. I chose for a very long time, looked at the options on various forums. A friend of mine advised me to read articles comparing different lenses. As a result, I compared their month and chose for myself what suited me the most. I can advise you to check out the Fujinon XF 8-16mm F2.8 R LM WR, Fujinon XF 80mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro and the Fujinon XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR. Perhaps you will like them. It seems to me that these are not very bad specimens. Good luck with your choice!

Edited by Evanite