Filter for front of lens. ND vs UV

Normo

Other than protecting the glass,  since exposures can be manipulated in camera and with post processing,  is there any benefit/difference in using a UV filter vs ND filters? Any brand recommendations?   I have read up and googled this question but just wonder how helpful it is in digital cameras.  Thanks.  Norm

Exposures can certainly be manipulated in camera but only an ND filter will allow control of the aperture/shutter speed for a given amount of light. Only an ND filter will allow you to reduce the overall light level so that a specified aperture/shutter speed combination is possible. But I would never keep an ND filter on my lens as it is often not appropriate to want to reduce the light level. 

As for using a UV or Clear filter on your lens, a UV filter is only of use in analogue photography where it was often necessary because film is extremely sensitive to UV light. However, digital sensors are generally rather insensitive to UV, so the problem doesn't arise to anything like the same extent. So if you are looking to simply protect your lens then either will do but my choice would be a Clear. I know there is a body of opinion that says using any protection filter impacts on the quality of the result but I've never noticed it and I'd rather replace a filter than my lens.

There are probably only 2 filters which cannot be replicated in post-processing - the ND as above and the Polarising filter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Note that manufacturers usually don’t advertise with filters being a ‘lens protection’. This is because of liability issues. A clear or UV filter protects lenses from dust, watermarks, fingerprints and light scratches. Most damage to front elements comes from ‘cleaning’  the lens by the user so a filter definitely helps here. But don’t think that a filter helps against impact damages. In fact, the filter thread may even cause more (deformation) damage to the lens. Brass filter rings usually hold better under impact damage.

Modern sensors don’t care for UV filters unless you’re in very bright conditions (high in the mountains or Antarctica).

Indeed the only filters that cannot be emulated in post are ND and Polarising filters. However, note that emulating in post sometimes gives artificial effects. That’s why many landscape photographers prefer physical gradient filters to better control the effect.

i have the best experience with B+W and Hoya filters. They have very high and consistent quality. Cokin makes some good filters as well (their Pure line). Best avoid cheap nameless filters. When you buy a variable ND filter, make sure its a very good one (usually these are expensive). The lesser ones give a purple color cast when ‘closed’. Alternatives are of course the filter systems of Lee, Benro, Rollei, Cokin, Nissin et cetera. Those are usually used in combination with a tripod and not designed for walking-around.