Using my new X-T30 as a webcam

lcwyatt

Hi everyone!  I'm new to the Fuji X series.  I just purchased the X-T30 as my new travel camera and would like to occasionally use it as a webcam.  I purchased a "dummy" battery power connector to enable me to run continuously without using up batteries.  I have connected the camera to my computer with an Elgato Cam Link 4K device.  I also went into the camera power management settings and set Auto Power Off to Off.

I tested it out on Zoom and everything works beautifully.  My system recognizes the new "webcam".  The picture quality is outstanding.  However, the X-T30 is shutting itself off after about 5 minutes.  Even though I have the Auto Power Off set to Off, it is still shutting down.  I'm not hitting record, just letting the camera capture the video image as a "webcam".

Any ideas on how I can keep the X-T30 from shutting down?

• 4 weeks later...

I've used the same set-up (X-t30 and camlink 4k) and my guess as to why it shuts downs is due to overheating. I tried to tweak the settings to optimize for long calls but got at most around an hour of camera time before my system shuts itself down. I dropped the video to 1080p at the lowest possible frame and bit rates. Maybe it could last longer at a higher bit rate because the camera wouldn't have to compress in body, idk. The main point is that I think it's unavoidable that the system shuts off after some time due to heat. I wish there was a 720p setting because I think that would help a lot and video conferencing doesn't need full HD. That could squeeze some more time of of things for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, 

Don't know if you solved it already, but to my experience it is caused by the "AUTO POWER OFF" function.

Check in the Menu > SET UP > POWER MANAGEMENT > AUTO POWER OFF. This should be on "OFF" for web cam usage. If it always turns off after about 5min, you might have it on "5 MIN" in those settings.

Hope this helps.

KR,

Yarne

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ozwrangler said:

Apart from buying extra gear, is there any other way to use the XT30 as a webcam?

I can't get it to work with Fuji's Webcam app- XT30 not listed as compatible :(

the new firmware is coming in february itself , so after that firmware update you can use fujifilm xt-30 as a webcam ,by directly connecting it to computer , without any external device . hope this helps . have a nice day ahead !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have installed recently the Web Cam X 2.0 software in my Mac and when I connect my Fuji XT-30 it recognizes the camera, but does not allow me to make the corrections using the software, what should be the main improvement of 2.0 version.

I am using original Apple Macbook USB-C cable, and I already tried to change it, but it does not work.

It appears the name of my FUJI XT30 camera on the application, but the sliders and check boxes continue unable to be clicked.

Anybody having same issue? Does someone knows how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same issue here, the help page highlights that cameras with the "X WEBCAM" option don't get access to the settings dialog (ie. the sliders). Certainly my X-T30 has the "X WEBCAM" option under USB, so maybe we just don't get this part of the functionality.

This makes the webcam feature rather redundant though, as autofocus gets disabled for me when I plug in, so I have to change focus manually, not what I was hoping for!

• 2 weeks later...

let's start sending feedback, for it to get tethered shooting , like xs-10 got recently (which was very good response from fujifilm listening to feedback from users). i started a thread for feature request, so let's all comment for the feature to be brought ASAP.

• 2 months later...

Ugh, just got the X-T30 and found out about the issue of lack of controls in the WebCam2 software. As I plan to setup for streaming and really want full control, this is a blocker. Does anyone know of third-party software that might work or other cameras with better webcam integration?

I don't need remote zoom control, but AE and color control are table stakes.

Don't like the USB webcam option with the X-T30 because it appears to max out Rez at 720p. Quality of image is much worse than connected via Elgato Camlink 4K which can go up to, well 4K. I also have the overheating issue despite all suggestions in this thread. Have to put a cooling fan next to it otherwise I only get 45m max without it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Zooskifilms