Can I turn my x-t1 into a webcam?

No, you can't. The X-T1 doesn't provide HDMI video output except for playback. It can only record video internally. You  need a later model for that.

The video capability of the 16-bit generation was (correctly, in my opinion) considered to be the laughing-stock of the industry at the time. It was one of those things that appears to have been added to get the checkmark for the feature: yeah, it has video.

The X-T2 and others of its generation were a huge step forward in video. The X-T3 even more so, and the X-T4 even more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you are on a Mac (macOS 10.14.4 or higher), you might want to check out https://cascable.se/pro-webcam/

Claims to "Turn your camera into a supercharged, high quality webcam with no extra hardware required!" and lists the X-T1 as supported — over WiFi anyway, not USB. Apparently still in beta, but can be pre-ordered, and a free "built-in trial that never expires, but limits each video stream to five minutes — after which an overlay will be applied to your stream" is available for download.

I think I am gonna try it myself as I am currently undecided whether or not to keep my trusty X-T1. Also I got an X-H1 which is supported by the new Fujifilm software, and an X-E3 which is said to provide clean HDMI out for capture, but this third option does not sound too bad as it is even wireless...

• 4 weeks later...

I too want to use my X-T1 for a webcam without spending ~200 on an additional piece of hardware. I tried the Cascable software but it actually connects to the camera via WiFi. By doing so your computer wont be online (unless you have a wired connection). So it works if you want to record video but not for Zoom/Google hangouts etc.