Suggestion: new AF-S One point autofocus grid

A.R.

Hello, I just want to share this idea with you.

I find the AF-S square in One point too big and innacuratte, specially when using wider focal lengths. Sometimes the AF miss and the focus goes to the background of the subject in the square.

The grid from AF Zone is much better and precise with more and smaller squares so... why don´t Fuji give us the same grid in One Point mode? I don´t know if it would be possible but for me that would make a 10/10 camera. Precision is the only thing I´m missing in the XT-1

nv9jlw.jpg

What do you think?

Sorry for my english

Regards.

Thank you for your coment. I agree with you. I doub they could go from 49 AF points to 77 AF points just with an FW update. But at least using the size of the AF Zone squares in the AF Point would be an improvement in precision. That seems possible to do.

PD. What confuses me is that the camera detects the 77 points as individuals when using the AF Zone grid but maybe that is not "real" information...

probably.

My experience is also that using the smallest of the size is what makes lenses like the 60mm be less precise rather than more! The smallest of sizes causes the lens not to be able to focus. Put it one step up and all works a lot better.

I had the  10-24 which is the shortest of the AF lenses and I’ve never felt the need for a smaller af point!  Now I have the 12mm Samyang ( manual focus) which I rarely focus!

Again thank you for sharing your experience! I´ve just finished some focus testing for 18mm and 23mm focals with a tripod. Testing both, the smaller square focus and the step up bigger square focus.

At 18mm the focus is clearly better with the smaller square. The same at 23mm. And this is with a tripod and still object... shooting with handheld and people... this gets much worse. So I still think we need a smaller square.

Here is the test, there is a quality lose in both ways, but if you can´t see it at 100% size try this: http://1drv.ms/1MsPAmM

2cxgup0.jpg

Edit: I don´t own the 10-24 anymore,  but I tested a few weeks ago and as long as I was going wider with the focal lenght the focus lose got worse, that´s why I gave it back. (Fuji please... smaller points  :) )

Regards!

Interesting results! I've always found that in real life the smallest and biggest focus point sizes give the least reliable results because the small one fails so often and the large one misfocuses so often. 

You're analyzing some very precise focus here with a very convenient subject (i.e. tons of tiny vertical lines) so it makes sense the smallest point works the best and is a good test for your purposes. 

Personally I'd support Fuji making a smaller focus point. It could just be an even smaller box that's smaller than the cross. That said it may not be a meaningful change, I suspect the current smallest size reflects the actual limits of precision for the AF engine, in which case a smaller box would do nothing. 

Hope they're working on it either way! I need to remember to be more careful about AF box size and make it smaller when there's enough light+contrast for it to still work.