ND filters and X-H1 autofocus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Depends on the ND filter and the light.

If you're using a mild one to get wide apertures, no problem. A strong one for landscapes? Likely OK, but may not be depending on light levels. A very strong one for long-exposure cityscapes & such? Focus before adding the filter.

Basic rule of thumb is that if you can handhold the shot, you can focus. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have an X-T30 and have just got a few ND filters. I’ve yet to try them out but just wondering how to focus with them, particularly the 10 stop? 
If I use auto focus or back button focus before adding the filter, as soon as I take my finger off the button has the camera unlocked the focus?

Sorry for such a stupid question but it’s been confusing me and I haven’t found a clear answer on google. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 12:27 PM, teaandcake said:

Hi, I have an X-T30 and have just got a few ND filters. I’ve yet to try them out but just wondering how to focus with them, particularly the 10 stop? 
If I use auto focus or back button focus before adding the filter, as soon as I take my finger off the button has the camera unlocked the focus?

Sorry for such a stupid question but it’s been confusing me and I haven’t found a clear answer on google. 

You might want to set up back button autofocus.  There are tutorials online to get this setup.  Once you press the focus that's it.  You should not have to focus again unless you change the focal length/zoom in or out or accidentally move the camera.  Back Button Autofocus for Fuji.  I've been using that for my previous Nikons, and now all my Fuji cameras for ages.

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 1:38 PM, jlmphotos said:

You might want to set up back button autofocus.  There are tutorials online to get this setup.  Once you press the focus that's it.  You should not have to focus again unless you change the focal length/zoom in or out or accidentally move the camera.  Back Button Autofocus for Fuji.  I've been using that for my previous Nikons, and now all my Fuji cameras for ages.

Thank you for this! Sorry for the huge delay in reply, I don’t think I got notified of your post. 

Ive set up back button focus so I use this when I remember.  I’ve been having a lot of fun with my filters and it’s so easy to use them with my Fuji camera.