Out of camera JPEGS

Normo

Hi years ago I was a member here and ended up with an XE-1 and later the XT-1.  Loved the latter,  not so much the former.  I am thinking of upgrading to the XT-4.  I always thought that the jpegs were quite good from these cameras.  Are there members out there that basically just shoot with jpegs, rather than raw.  And with the newer sensor is there any visual difference between. the older out of camera jpegs and the jpegs from the XT-4.   Thanks.  Norm

I can't speak for the X-T4 but I currently have an X-T3 and X100V and have previously owned an X-T30, X-T2, X100F and X100T (that's three generations of Fuji sensors).

I shoot with my cameras set to RAW but then use X Raw Studio to 'develop' the images I want to keep so although I am technically using camera JPEGs I have the flexibility to adjust exposure, WB, film sim etc. before I process the JPEG. For me, I enjoy the constraints of a limited set of adjustments and there's a magic about the camera JPEGs that I just can't reproduce on the many desktop raw converters I've tried. The JPEGs are incredible but may not offer you the scope of adjustment you require.

With regard to visual differences there's definitely something different between the current X-Trans 4 and previous X-Trans 3. The colours are slightly different and the shadows aren't quite as black to my eye. But it's not 'better', as such. I still find the X-Trans 2 images captivating (X100T) but there is more smearing and less detail at higher ISOs.

If you don't need some of the more modern features, I'd honestly get a nice X-T2 and spend the rest on good lenses. The images are as good as the X-T3 in my view and I doubt the X-T4 will look any different.