X-Pro 2 or X-Pro 3

With so many impressive firmware updates, how does the upgraded X-Pro 2 compare with a new X-Pro 3 

in terms of image quality and auto focus usability ? (yes, subjective question)

There seem to be a lot of XP2's around looking for a home at attractive prices but I haven't seen a comparison.

Dave

Auto focus definitely better.

Image quality should not be visible on real life images.

No B&W in camera fine tweaking on the Pro2 nor the latest film simulations.

If you shoot RAW and don't need advanced focus modes and fine tuning, Pro2 should be fine.

I'm coming from canon and get the xpro 3 two weeks now I don't know the difference between xpro 2 

But I'm very surprised the image quality deliver from the xpro 3.

What I saw the images from xpro 2 they are almost ,maybe the same quality as the xpro3 

If I owned the xpro 2 or xt 3 I will probably not upgrade to xpro 3 

If you are going for a new camera just one camera I will definitely go for the xpro 3 

19 hours ago, one frame said:

I'm coming from canon and get the xpro 3 two weeks now I don't know the difference between xpro 2 

But I'm very surprised the image quality deliver from the xpro 3.

What I saw the images from xpro 2 they are almost ,maybe the same quality as the xpro3 

If I owned the xpro 2 or xt 3 I will probably not upgrade to xpro 3 

If you are going for a new camera just one camera I will definitely go for the xpro 3 

i totally agree!

On 6/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, one frame said:

I'm coming from Canon and get the X-Pro3 two weeks now, I don't know the difference to the X-Pro2, but I'm very surprised by the image quality delivered from the X-Pro3. What I saw on the images from the X-Pro2, they are almost maybe the same quality as the X-Pro3. If I owned the X-Pro2 or X-T3, I would probably not upgrade to the X-Pro3. If you are going for a new camera, just one camera, I will definitely go for the X-Pro3.

I can only agree too!

There's a lot of misconception re. the sensor generations Fuji uses. In essence there's no visible image quality difference between the 24Mp X-TransIII/Processor and the 26Mp X-TransIV/Processor. The 2Mp are negligible. There's virtually no visible difference in low-light performance as well. The BSI (back-side illuminated) technology of the 26Mp sensor has a theoretical advantage here because the metal wiring layer is not on top of the photocells, but beneath them. However, the photocells of the 24Mp are larger and therefor the yield of the 26Mp BSI-sensor is lower than the 24Mp FSI sensor (front-side illuminated). That glitches out almost all advantages here.

What does make a difference is the number of AF pixels on the 26Mp sensor (much higher) and the shorter circuits due to the BSI technology of the 26Mp sensor. That allows for greater throughput capacity and quicker AF. Top that with a more powerful processor in the 26Mp camera's and you have snappier AF and higher video bit rates (up to 400 Mbps).

The main differences between the x-pro2 (I'm a long-time owner) and the x-pro3 (tried it extensively) are the LCD screen and the viewfinder. The hidden LCD screen could be very beneficial to a street shooter (from the hip). However, imo it sucks to have to open it for menu access and menu access through the EVF is cumbersome when you wear glasses (and have thumbprints all over them). I prefer a screen like the X100V were the user has options to choose how to use it and which is nicely integrated in the body. The sub monitor is imo a useless gadget as there's not backlighting button like on the X-H1/GFX50S. 

The viewfinder for me is the real dealbreaker on the X-Pro3. Though it is larger and brighter, in OVF mode (which is why I bought the X-Pro) there's only one magnification left (x0.50) rather than the 2 magnification levels of the X-Pro2. That renders the X-Pro3 in OVF mode useless for lenses shorter than 23mm and longer than 35mm. I can't use my 16/18mm and my beloved 50mm anymore on the X-Pro3 in OVF unless I settle with a very tiny frame or frame lines outside my OVF. For now I'm sticking to the X-Pro2.

Edited by Herco

10 hours ago, Herco said:

However, the photocells of the 24 MP are larger and therefor the yield of the 26 MP BSI-sensor is lower than the 24 MP FSI-sensor (front-side illuminated). That glitches out almost all advantages here.

This is not true, the values achieved by the BSI-sensor clearly exceed those of the FSI-sensor. The size of the individual photocells only plays a marginal role, since the size difference is not so eminently large. The gain in light utilization therefore exceeds the loss in size difference. But the higher resolution brings with it other advantages that should be well known by now.

11 hours ago, Photonics said:

This is not true, the values achieved by the BSI-sensor clearly exceed those of the FSI-sensor. The size of the individual photocells only plays a marginal role, since the size difference is not so eminently large. The gain in light utilization therefore exceeds the loss in size difference. But the higher resolution brings with it other advantages that should be well known by now.

The size of the photocells in the 24Mp sensor is approx. 8% larger than in the 26Mp. The gain differs about 20% so there is certainly an advantage for the 26Mp sensor. However, with higher gain there's also slightly higher noise. To correct that, the NR profile of the 26Mp is slightly different. The end result is barely visible in real live low light RAWs (in Capture One). That coincides with the Sony specs for the sensors. Both 24Mp and 26Mp sensor are from Sony and the 26Mp in Fuji is the same sensor as the 61Mp in the A7RIV and in the GFX100. Only cut to a different size.

1 hour ago, Herco said:

Both 24 MP and 26 MP sensor are from Sony and the 26 MP in Fuji is the same sensor as the 61 MP in the A7RIV and in the GFX100. Only cut to a different size.

It may be true that the noise reduction profile of the two cameras differs, but it should not be overlooked that the susceptibility to noise of a BSI-sensor is generally lower, so there is a clear advantage here as well. Also, the technologies of various sensors should not be confused with each other. Although the sensors are actually manufactured by Sony, there is no Fujifilm X-Trans sensor in the Sony α7R IV, which is developed by Fujifilm and only used for Fuji cameras. The Sony α7R IV therefore works with a BSI-CMOS Bayer sensor!

• 2 months later...

I own both. I am enjoying using the x-pro 3 as I really like the classic neg film sim. I take mainly street and landscape photos, for my uses there is not an awful lot to choose between them. If I was on a budget the best value would be an x-pro 2 and the rest of the cost of the x-pro 3 on lenses. The 2 is still a very capable camera. 

• 8 months later...

I was so disappointed in the X-Pro 3 when it came out. Several of the most attractive features in the XP2 disappeared and the closer I looked the more discouraged from purchasing it I became, so I did not.  I still feel that way. I often wonder what Fuji was thinking? The XP3 immediately struck me as a net-step backwards. The gains claimed over the XP2 definitely do not outweigh the friendliness and ergonometric losses in my opinion. I hope they put the LCD back the way it belongs (like the XT4), improve the EVF and OVF to work optically with all focal lengths, keep the better shutter, frame and finishes maybe even give me back my D-pad and keep the joy-stick like on my XT3, etc.  I hate sliding greasy fingers all over the LCD and typically keep the touch mode turned off but you can leave all that LCD touch-stuff as optional next time and just maybe I will consider buying an XP4, maybe.   

15 hours ago, Jbreiner said:

I was so disappointed in the X-Pro 3 when it came out. Several of the most attractive features in the XP2 disappeared and the closer I looked the more discouraged from purchasing it I became, so I did not.  I still feel that way. I often wonder what Fuji was thinking? The XP3 immediately struck me as a net-step backwards. The gains claimed over the XP2 definitely do not outweigh the friendliness and ergonometric losses in my opinion. I hope they put the LCD back the way it belongs (like the XT4), improve the EVF and OVF to work optically with all focal lengths, keep the better shutter, frame and finishes maybe even give me back my D-pad and keep the joy-stick like on my XT3, etc.  I hate sliding greasy fingers all over the LCD and typically keep the touch mode turned off but you can leave all that LCD touch-stuff as optional next time and just maybe I will consider buying an XP4, maybe.   

You're quite right. I too keep hold of my X-Pro2 and returned the X-Pro3 after I tried it for personal work for a week. I don't miss the D-pad (I use the joystick), but I do wish the X-Pro3 had the LCD of the X100V. One point of correction: the EVF does work with all focal lengths. It's just the OVF that is restricted (even compared to the X-Pro2). Actually, Fuji launched the 18mm f1.4 recently and they used the X-Pro3 as the launch model for it. However, the X-Pro3 in OVF-mode doesn't even have framelines for the 18mm. Such a miss for a street photography camera...

Hi, I’m selling my x-pro2 + 23 1.4 to get a new x-pro3. I hope I will have no regrets. One useful thing for me is the screen that give me the possibility to shoot from the hip. The ovf should be bigger and brighter also if it lacks of the two magnifications. 

Edited by rakosky

On 4/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, Herco said:

You're quite right. I too keep hold of my X-Pro2 and returned the X-Pro3 after I tried it for personal work for a week. I don't miss the D-pad (I use the joystick), but I do wish the X-Pro3 had the LCD of the X100V. One point of correction: the EVF does work with all focal lengths. It's just the OVF that is restricted (even compared to the X-Pro2). Actually, Fuji launched the 18mm f1.4 recently and they used the X-Pro3 as the launch model for it. However, the X-Pro3 in OVF-mode doesn't even have framelines for the 18mm. Such a miss for a street photography camera...

Could be that the 18mm framelines are actually the borders or the ovf? I read this somewhere.

Edited by rakosky

On 4/24/2021 at 8:19 PM, rakosky said:

Could be that the 18mm framelines are actually the borders or the ovf? I read this somewhere.

That could be, but I've also heard from a sales rep that the borders of the X-Pro3 OVF is actually the frameline for 16mm. That makes me think that it's used for whatever is most convenient in the discussion. Either way, it is a step back from what the field of view was for the X-Pro2 OVF.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:17 PM, rakosky said:

Hi, I’m selling my x-pro2 + 23 1.4 to get a new x-pro3. I hope I will have no regrets. One useful thing for me is the screen that give me the possibility to shoot from the hip. The ovf should be bigger and brighter also if it lacks of the two magnifications. 

With the 23mm you shouldn't have an issue with framelines. The OVF of the X-Pro3 is indeed a bit bigger and brighter. The EVF is quite a bit better than that of the X-Pro2.

• 1 year later...

Looking for an Xpro series camera but I'm wondering in the middle of 2022 if an Xpro2 is worth the risk, due to the age and mileage on most of the cameras out there. This is compared to Xpro3's which are all at most only a few years old.

I'm not so concerned about image quality and ease of use, as I know they are both great cameras. This is purely a financial question about which camera is the best deal in the long run...

Edited by Xfan

On 4/30/2022 at 6:14 PM, Xfan said:

Looking for an Xpro series camera but I'm wondering in the middle of 2022 if an Xpro2 is worth the risk, due to the age and mileage on most of the cameras out there. This is compared to Xpro3's which are all at most only a few years old.

I'm not so concerned about image quality and ease of use, as I know they are both great cameras. This is purely a financial question about which camera is the best deal in the long run...

Usually X-Pro users are quite meticulous about their camera, so you should be able to find well-preserved pre-owned X-Pro2's at a decent price (around €650 in Europe and $600-700 in the US). These cameras are well-built and should be able to serve you for many more years, Pre-owned X-Pro3's are harder to find (by lack of an X-Pro4) and come at a much higher cost (€1450-1500) which is close to new price. Of all the Fuji cameras I had over the past ten years, I only kept the X-Pro2. It still has some advantages over the X-Pro3 and with its fixed LCD, it is less prone to defects. I've heard that most X-Pro3 defects are back panel issues. The X-Pro4 is expected mid-2023 earliest, so X-Pro3 prices will remain high for a while...