Fujifilm x-m1 exposure observation

Hi,  Im quite new with mirrorless cameras, so my apologies for the stupid question. 

Anyway, thinking by DSLRs I got strange observation regarding the cameras exposure settings: 

I used Fujifilm x-m1 and Canon 550Db both in aperture priority mode, shooting the same scene, both have cropped sensor, used the same manual lens with the same aperture setting, the same ISO value, and taking the picture I see Canon used 1/800 while Fujifilm 1/250. Only thing Ive added compensation -1/3 just to have the same histogram on cameras screen (not a big difference).

Could you explain me, why there's so difference, more than twice?

Thank you.

(I attached the picture)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fuji and Canon rate ISO differently.

I've generally found the 16MP Fuji bodies to be about 1 1/3 stops lower in ISO at a given rating than a comparable Canon or Nikon. (ie ISO 400 on the 16MP Fuji gives about the same exposure as ISO 160 on a Canon or Nikon)

That's pretty much exactly the difference you are seeing.

I also find that the 16MP Fuji's tend towards 1/3 stop to 2/3rds stop more exposure on the same scene than a Canon or Nikon. 

The caveat here is that the ISO standard for digital exposure settings is not very specific, so both Fuji and Canon/Nikon are compliant, they just interpret ISO differently. Metering is purely a 'what the manufacturer thinks is right' setting. Honestly I think Fuji's exposure is generally better for pure JPEG use, but I tend to leave my 16MP Fuji's set to -2/3rds exposure compensation to get what I want in the RAWs.  

Edited by mawz