Fujifilm X-PRO2 rumors

Patrick FR

I really want a nice shutter click. I miss that on my X100T. The Leica I have to wait about 8 weeks for sounds amazing (M262) to me but I'd like something with a more solid click sometimes. I can get the shots I want out of almost any camera once I learn it, so for the me enjoyment of use is more important than anything else. And the sound makes or breaks that. The X100T is a fantastic little camera, and it's great for times when I need to be silent, but otherwise I want that noise.

I'd love a wind on lever too, may get an RD1s if I ever see one.

Still seeing nothing solid on the sensor other than the Magnum leak, and manufacturers often have several prototypes with different sensors out there, although X-Trans may make that much harder....Patrick, can you ask sources whether they know anything? The new processor and lossless RAW compression, both from sources more solid than anything directly related to the sensor, do suggest a new sensor, but the fact that we're seeing two new cameras more or less confirmed to use the old IMX 071 (X70 and XE2s) suggest that Fuji intends to keep getting mileage out of the old warhorse. I REALLY hope we don't see a new $1700 vehicle for the five year old sensor from the D7000! If we do, it would reach two undesirable milestones. It would be both the most expensive camera ever to use that sensor (five years into the sensor's life) AND  the most expensive (non-Leica) APS-C body on the market in several years while tied (largely with other Fujis) for the LOWEST resolution of any APS-C camera on the market. No matter how good the rest of the package is (and the suggestion is that it's exceptional), that's not an ideal combination!

At the other extreme, we could see the new 36MP BSI sensor Sony seems to be about to introduce in the A6100. I'm not 100% sure we want it, even if we could have it... The first 24MP sensor on the NEX-7 came with a fair number of teething troubles, although it evolved into the exceptional sensor we see in a lot of 24MP cameras today. Sony could hit the 36MP generation out of the park on the first pitch, and, if they do, there's a significant advantage to having a future-proof sensor like that. I am pretty sure our better lenses are ready for it (Sony's AREN'T!, at least not without using bulky FF lenses of odd focal lengths, and only a few of those are great). On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if that sensor is noisy at lower ISOs than we're used to, and it might have banding or similar issues. The dynamic range might also not live up to expectations.

I would expect (from the pixel pitch they'd need) to see a sensor that performs better on a per pixel basis than any 1" sensor, and about as well per pixel as a really good modern Micro 4/3 sensor, plus whatever improvements there have been since the latest Micro 4/3 sensors have been introduced. That's pretty good, arguably even better than pretty good, but it is NOT the performance per pixel we are used to. I've printed big from X-Trans II against the E-M1 and E-M5, and there is no comparison - the Fuji has substantially better dynamic range, among other things. There is another half generation of Micro 4/3 sensors, which I've never used, but I haven't read that they're THAT much better, either. It's possible that generational improvements (or even a breakthrough or two) mean that the new 36MP sensor is a better DR/noise performer than Micro 4/3 has reached at a similar pixel pitch, maybe even as good as we're used to, but I wouldn't count on that.

The IMX271, perhaps the most likely sensor for the X-Pro2, seems to be a wonderful sensor - the latest of an increasingly good line of Sony 24MP sensors. It has a HUGE amount of low-ISO dynamic range (I've seen one measurement saying 14.6 stops, although I'm not sure how you measure that, since it doesn't fit in a 14-bit raw file, and I've never seen any suggestion of 16-bit output). It also seems to be an excellent high-ISO performer. One aspect of the '271 that I hope Fuji embraces, if that's the sensor we're getting, is that it has a very low low-ISO capability, perhaps down to a calibrated ISO 50, and certainly down to 100. PLEASE give us ISOs below 200, complete with raw capture. I'd call 100 very important, and 50 nice to have (and nearly unique, without getting into medium format). I've never even been tempted by the Hi ISO range on my X-T1, rarely if ever going above 1600; but I reach for the low setting all the time, only to find myself kicked into JPEG mode:-(

I guess that another possibility (that wouldn't excite me, but it could excite people who like high ISOs) is a modern low-pixel count sensor, sort of on the concept of an A7s. It might provide slight improvements in low-ISO performance per pixel over a good 24MP sensor (but the '271 is very, very good (potentially better than a 14-bit raw file can actually record). What it would provide is absurdly good high-ISO and video performance. In my view, it's a shame to waste a sensor like that on a camera not aimed at video shooters. If Fuji wants to introduce an "X-V1" with a low pixel count sensor and really great video codecs, I could see that being an appealing camera to a significant market segment (if they aren't already using Sony or Panasonic, video shooters get access to a system of compact, high-quality lenses and Fuji colors). Why do it on a camera with no dedicated video button?

Dan

arcaswissi, on 05 Jan 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

I nowhere read the size of EVF. As large as X-T1? Still curious how Fuji has solved the problem for farsighted persons who see perfect in distance but need reading glass for Evf. I need 0 correction for Ovf but +2 for Evf.

:rolleyes: yes they will provide you with one of these ( as an accessory you may add polarizer filters to get rid of the reflection on the LCD )

[edit: Removed image because of copyright violation]

Edited by FX Admin
Removed image because of copyright violation

:rolleyes: yes they will provide you with one of these ( as an accessory you may add polarizer filters to get rid of the reflection on the LCD )

Edit: Removed image because of copyright violation

sounds good. Do I also get the nice cap :) Edited by FX Admin
Removed image because of copyright violation

How can you pre-order a product that hasn't even been announced ?

I don't know and I frankly don't give a 'bupke' about "how." All I am interested in is that there is a new Fuji X-Pro coming out and I am buying it.  I was just confirming the rumors regarding $1699 price. Cheerios!

Forecasting something precise on the base of predictions is an extreme for of paranormal perception, perhaps induced by hallucinating substances?

Tsk, tsk. Calling me a liar! This will be my last post on this matter. I had mistaken this forum to be polite. You know the backstory I posted in another thread regarding my IBELUX lens. I sold it to the camera store and applied the money towards X-Pro2 pre-order. The receipt has $1699 as the selling price. Of course if Fuji announces a lower price upon release, I will pay the lesser.

not calling you a liar.....never said that or implied that, you just paid an amount, a downpayment upfront, against an amount which would have to be verified against the real price when the camera is launched and then becomes available.

I don’t know any other story about the ibelux. It might surprise you but I am not following all your threads.

“ .......Europe: the price should be around  €1,699-1,799. Please note that the price in Europe can have some variations according to the different coutries. Overall I expect it to be more towards €1,799.

USA: It should cost between $1,799-1,899Howeverfellow X-shooter T-Man pre-ordered an X-Pro2 at his local store and said that his receipt shows only $1,699. For more details you better ask T-man directly here......"