Mike A

Anyone else disappointed w/ build quality?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I've had my silver X-T4 since May 12th. While I am very happy with the photo and video quality that it can produce, I have to say that I am quite disappointed by the build quality. I've been a die-hard Fujifilm shooter since the X100 came out. I got that, then the X100S, then the X-T2 when they all came out brand new. I was very excited for IBIS and 4k60 video in one body from the Fuji so I jumped on the X-T4.

Going from the X-T2 to the X-T4 seems like a huge downgrade in terms of build quality. The top dials and command dials all feel cheaper and looser. The shutter button is mushy and loose. The screen flip-out hinge seems incredibly weak. And also the bottom "metal" plate already has a bunch of scuff marks and dings in it. It almost looks as bad as my 4'ish year old X-T2 and I've had it for a little more than a week.

Is anyone else experiencing the same build quality issues? I can't imagine that all of these issues are just my copy of the camera.

Really don’t care as I consider xt4 as a tool. But totally agree, with the cost of more than USD 2k in official stores in my country XT4 doesn’t seem to be worth this price in terms of build quality.

Its a shame... coming from Nikon 700 I was really shocked how plastic.. feel metal Fuji. Doors, rubber, lens connection etc - its not a pro-tool as advertised.
Not mentioning problems with a battery/grip connection - which Fuji didnt and dont want to recognize worldwide. 
Not good.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, Torturro said:

Its a shame... coming from Nikon 700 I was really shocked how plastic.. feel metal Fuji. Doors, rubber, lens connection etc - its not a pro-tool as advertised.
Not mentioning problems with a battery/grip connection - which Fuji didnt and dont want to recognize worldwide. 
Not good.

Hi,
What is the problem with the battery/grip connection? I have a brand new X-T4 and VG-XT4 battery grip. So I really like to know what to watch up with regarding this.
Thanks,
Bo (Sweden)

Posted (edited)

When I got my X-T4 some days ago my first thought when I looked at it and opened the various hatches - damn this seems to be "cheap" design, not rugged at all.

And the LCD holder can not be that durable or? At least that is the first impression I got about it, also cheap plastic case for the LCD screen.
I'm little surprised this manufacturer has not yet leaved the LCD world for OLED screen. Is not LCD almost stone age today? In sunshine it is very hard to see what is happening on the LCD.

The shutter button is also very "cheap" - the most important button on any camera - right? It is so flimsy and imprecise, in my opinion.

This X-T4 camera is supposed to be so good and has got so positive comments by various "pro" (sponsored or not).
So far it has not impresssed on me as an amateur and I come from heavy use of iPhone with thousands and thousands photos taken with that.
Neither the photo quality nor the build quality of X-T4 impress on me (so far). But maybe I expect to much for this class of camera for this price? I admit I'm in a steep learning curve on the X-T4 right now and I have not understood the potential of the X-T4 yet and how to proper use it and all the settings it has. But for me this is a very expensive camera (I saved for 3 months to buy it).
Just a simple thing like bying a Fuji leather case for X-T4 - I looked everywhere but I can not see that Fujifilm make one for this X-T4 (but they have one for X-T3). I do not understand that if the X-T4 is one of the top line of X "T" mirrorless cameras now.

And it is a major problem with my X-T4 also - it freeze now and then and all user input is dead, no response. I have to take out the battery to get it working again. It is a mystery to me.
I have also read (after I bought the X-T4) there is a problem with the VG-XT4 connector underside the X-T4 case. I have a VG-XT4 battery grip case... I just do not understand this.
If this is Fujifilm X "T" flagship I'm not so impressed so far but I'm open for change in that opinion as things might improve in future somehow.
I use lens Fujinon XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR by the way.
I'm on the edge to return the camera but I want to give it a chance little longer.
/Bo

Edited by bem

Posted (edited)

Hi Mike, this is also my observation. I've had a number of Fujifilm cameras starting with the X-Pro1 and the X-T1. Upgrading to the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 was indeed a big step up in build quality. Esp. the 'solid feel' was greatly improved. I then switched to the X-H1 which was again a big step upwards. This for me was the first Fujifilm with truly professional build quality. I get the same feeling with a GFX. 

However, when I picked up an X-T3 for a short test run last year and when I held an X-T4 the other day it felt 'worse' than my recollection of the X-T2. Perhaps not coincidentally the X-T3 and the X-T4 are made in China (not Japan, like the X-Pros, the X-H1 and the GFXs). It can't be to keep the cameras affordable as the X-T4 is very close in price to full-frame competitors like the Sony A7iii. I must say that the first iterations of the Sony A7 were not particularly well-made either. However, were Sony seems to pick-up (the A7Riv oozes quality), Fujifilm seems to deteriorate. At least re. the X-Ts. I haven't seen this issue with the X-Pro3 and the X100V vs. their predecessors.

Another issue with quality I have is that of lenses. Not so much optically, but mainly mechanically. I've had my fair share of lose aperture rings and over time increasing clearance of focus clutches on the 14, 16 and 23mm. Never enough to break-down, but not exactly suiting a quality product.

Edited by Herco

I agree. Coming from xt2 and x100s, the xt4 is a huge disappointment in terms of build quality. I couldn’t understand how I acquired a serious mark on the ‘prism’ within 24 hours of arrival as I am a very careful user. Sad about this retrograde step.

I must admit this post really surprised me, I have just moved from a Canon DSLR and apart from the articulated screen not feeling as robust, and the battery/connector doors a little brittle, I thought the build quality was good. To me everything feels really solid.

Yes. I exchanged a couple and all their LCD panels creak and squeak like a cheap kid's toy. The XT3 I have has a much more solid screen casing. It also sounds hollow and as chap as on the X200. The rubber doors for the ports are also a downgrade. How is one to fix these when the rubber hinges eventually degrade and fall off- it doesn't seem to have a fix from the outside of the body. The video and photo quality is great but for a flagship it should feel like a precision instrument and it doesn't at all. Cheaper XT3 is better built.

11 hours ago, Hazard said:

Yes. I exchanged a couple and all their LCD panels creak and squeak like a cheap kid's toy. The XT3 I have has a much more solid screen casing. It also sounds hollow and as chap as on the X200. The rubber doors for the ports are also a downgrade. How is one to fix these when the rubber hinges eventually degrade and fall off- it doesn't seem to have a fix from the outside of the body. The video and photo quality is great but for a flagship it should feel like a precision instrument and it doesn't at all. Cheaper XT3 is better built.

Which Canon DSLR are you referring to if I may ask?