Anyone else disappointed w/ build quality?

Mike A

3 hours ago, JanosP said:

I bumped mine against some plastic trim in the car yesterday. Not even hard.

Now I know I should forget about it and carry on with the shooting, it will happen again sooner or later, but It gets on my nerves and I keep looking at this spot. Has anyone ever tried to cover something like this up with touch up paint :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Your X-T4 now looks like a pro camera !

I would hazard a guess that the X-T4 that you all have received is made no longer in Japan, hence the lower quality. The one I picked up was made in China, and it felt nothing like a Japanese made Fujifilm camera! I have also owned the X-Pro3, X-T3 and X100F before I went GFX.

If I was to buy back into the X camera line I would only buy a Japanese made camera. I thinks in this case it matters where it is made and quality control. I hope this is not a sign of things to come, up to now I have had zero issues and thought the quality of Fujifilm is high.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, mrPeter said:

Looks like you never handled a X-T4, mine has metal dials, the flip-out screen feels as solid as on any other camera that has one and overall build quality is as good or better than any other camera that is/was in my posession.

Did you register an account here just to come spread fake information?

They are not machined dials they are punched using a die, they may be metal but theres is a diferance between machined and punched, and you have clearly have never picked up a quility camera in your life to come in here and say the flip out screen feels solid.

Just got my new X T-4 and found it acceptable for build quality, but a

step below previous top models. Feels more delicate and a tad less preciseness with dials and latches.

Have already decided it has to be babied and treated with kids gloves to get longevity from it.

Still a Fujifilm fanboy however, What a camera, bought the kit with the 16-80 and can't wait to start shooting.

21 hours ago, PhotoDelights said:

They are not machined dials they are punched using a die, they may be metal but theres is a diferance between machined and punched, and you have clearly have never picked up a quility camera in your life to come in here and say the flip out screen feels solid.

The dials are made of metal, they look very nice to me, not cheap or misfunctioning. Are you suggesting that punched is inferior quality? When turning the dials your fingers will not feel the difference. I was trained to work with lathe and planer. The flip-out screen feels as solid as any four other brands I have handled and fit for it's purpose. I must say these cameras were not in the $4000 - $40000 price range. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just taken delivery of a Fuji XT4 yesterday along with a 35mm f2. Lovely images I have to say but the reason I'm thinking of switching all my Canon gear to Fuji, is because of the X100. I've owned several variations of it and the latest X100v is solid. I have it configured to operate the front command dial for shutter/aperture and the rear iso. I'm so impressed with it that it seemed a no brainer to switch to Fuji since my Canon gear is due an upgrade.

Setting up this configuration on the XT4 I'm finding it unusable since the front command dial is so flimsy and unresponsive. I'm finding that I'm pushing it rather than turning it which obviously switches it between SS/aperture!!! It's so frustrating and a deal breaker for me 😩😩😩

Anyone else experiencing this or is my copy a dud??!!

On 6/11/2021 at 12:33 PM, Phil_N said:

I've just taken delivery of a Fuji XT4 yesterday along with a 35mm f2. Lovely images I have to say but the reason I'm thinking of switching all my Canon gear to Fuji, is because of the X100. I've owned several variations of it and the latest X100v is solid. I have it configured to operate the front command dial for shutter/aperture and the rear iso. I'm so impressed with it that it seemed a no brainer to switch to Fuji since my Canon gear is due an upgrade.

Setting up this configuration on the XT4 I'm finding it unusable since the front command dial is so flimsy and unresponsive. I'm finding that I'm pushing it rather than turning it which obviously switches it between SS/aperture!!! It's so frustrating and a deal breaker for me 😩😩😩

Anyone else experiencing this or is my copy a dud??!!

To be honest there's quite some variation between the different Fuji models and even significant sample variation within copies of one model. The first good quality command dials were in my X-H1 which is -still today- by far the sturdiest X-camera of Fuji. This was improved in the GFX line, but going from the X-H1 to the X-T3 was for me a disappointment in build quality. I haven't had much experience with the X-T4 but I did notice quite some sample variations with different X-T3s and X-T4s when picking them up here in the store.

My only Fuji X-camera nowadays is the X-Pro2 and that has (like the X-H1) a solid build quality (though the X-H1 had and still has quite some software issues). Though many people will claim otherwise (Fuji itself included) I however, noticed a distinct deterioration in build quality between the models build in Japan and those build in China. Not so much the manufacturing itself, but the quality of used components and increased sample variations. There are other brands who do this as well to reduce costs. Luckily some don't...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the X Pro 3 on demo this weekend but I'm so disappointed in the build quality of the XT4 I'm concerned the X Pro 3 might similar. I'm now also considering sticking with Canon so have the R6 on demo next week.

The X100v on the other hand, performs flawlessly and goes everywhere with me. Unfortunately not an option for professional work not having dual card slots