Anyone else disappointed w/ build quality?

Mike A

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I've had my silver X-T4 since May 12th. While I am very happy with the photo and video quality that it can produce, I have to say that I am quite disappointed by the build quality. I've been a die-hard Fujifilm shooter since the X100 came out. I got that, then the X100S, then the X-T2 when they all came out brand new. I was very excited for IBIS and 4k60 video in one body from the Fuji so I jumped on the X-T4.

Going from the X-T2 to the X-T4 seems like a huge downgrade in terms of build quality. The top dials and command dials all feel cheaper and looser. The shutter button is mushy and loose. The screen flip-out hinge seems incredibly weak. And also the bottom "metal" plate already has a bunch of scuff marks and dings in it. It almost looks as bad as my 4'ish year old X-T2 and I've had it for a little more than a week.

Is anyone else experiencing the same build quality issues? I can't imagine that all of these issues are just my copy of the camera.

Its a shame... coming from Nikon 700 I was really shocked how plastic.. feel metal Fuji. Doors, rubber, lens connection etc - its not a pro-tool as advertised.
Not mentioning problems with a battery/grip connection - which Fuji didnt and dont want to recognize worldwide. 
Not good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, Torturro said:

Its a shame... coming from Nikon 700 I was really shocked how plastic.. feel metal Fuji. Doors, rubber, lens connection etc - its not a pro-tool as advertised.
Not mentioning problems with a battery/grip connection - which Fuji didnt and dont want to recognize worldwide. 
Not good.

Hi,
What is the problem with the battery/grip connection? I have a brand new X-T4 and VG-XT4 battery grip. So I really like to know what to watch up with regarding this.
Thanks,
Bo (Sweden)

When I got my X-T4 some days ago my first thought when I looked at it and opened the various hatches - damn this seems to be "cheap" design, not rugged at all.

And the LCD holder can not be that durable or? At least that is the first impression I got about it, also cheap plastic case for the LCD screen.
I'm little surprised this manufacturer has not yet leaved the LCD world for OLED screen. Is not LCD almost stone age today? In sunshine it is very hard to see what is happening on the LCD.

The shutter button is also very "cheap" - the most important button on any camera - right? It is so flimsy and imprecise, in my opinion.

This X-T4 camera is supposed to be so good and has got so positive comments by various "pro" (sponsored or not).
So far it has not impresssed on me as an amateur and I come from heavy use of iPhone with thousands and thousands photos taken with that.
Neither the photo quality nor the build quality of X-T4 impress on me (so far). But maybe I expect to much for this class of camera for this price? I admit I'm in a steep learning curve on the X-T4 right now and I have not understood the potential of the X-T4 yet and how to proper use it and all the settings it has. But for me this is a very expensive camera (I saved for 3 months to buy it).
Just a simple thing like bying a Fuji leather case for X-T4 - I looked everywhere but I can not see that Fujifilm make one for this X-T4 (but they have one for X-T3). I do not understand that if the X-T4 is one of the top line of X "T" mirrorless cameras now.

And it is a major problem with my X-T4 also - it freeze now and then and all user input is dead, no response. I have to take out the battery to get it working again. It is a mystery to me.
I have also read (after I bought the X-T4) there is a problem with the VG-XT4 connector underside the X-T4 case. I have a VG-XT4 battery grip case... I just do not understand this.
If this is Fujifilm X "T" flagship I'm not so impressed so far but I'm open for change in that opinion as things might improve in future somehow.
I use lens Fujinon XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR by the way.
I'm on the edge to return the camera but I want to give it a chance little longer.
/Bo

Edited by bem

Hi Mike, this is also my observation. I've had a number of Fujifilm cameras starting with the X-Pro1 and the X-T1. Upgrading to the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 was indeed a big step up in build quality. Esp. the 'solid feel' was greatly improved. I then switched to the X-H1 which was again a big step upwards. This for me was the first Fujifilm with truly professional build quality. I get the same feeling with a GFX. 

However, when I picked up an X-T3 for a short test run last year and when I held an X-T4 the other day it felt 'worse' than my recollection of the X-T2. Perhaps not coincidentally the X-T3 and the X-T4 are made in China (not Japan, like the X-Pros, the X-H1 and the GFXs). It can't be to keep the cameras affordable as the X-T4 is very close in price to full-frame competitors like the Sony A7iii. I must say that the first iterations of the Sony A7 were not particularly well-made either. However, were Sony seems to pick-up (the A7Riv oozes quality), Fujifilm seems to deteriorate. At least re. the X-Ts. I haven't seen this issue with the X-Pro3 and the X100V vs. their predecessors.

Another issue with quality I have is that of lenses. Not so much optically, but mainly mechanically. I've had my fair share of lose aperture rings and over time increasing clearance of focus clutches on the 14, 16 and 23mm. Never enough to break-down, but not exactly suiting a quality product.

Edited by Herco

• 3 months later...

Yes. I exchanged a couple and all their LCD panels creak and squeak like a cheap kid's toy. The XT3 I have has a much more solid screen casing. It also sounds hollow and as chap as on the X200. The rubber doors for the ports are also a downgrade. How is one to fix these when the rubber hinges eventually degrade and fall off- it doesn't seem to have a fix from the outside of the body. The video and photo quality is great but for a flagship it should feel like a precision instrument and it doesn't at all. Cheaper XT3 is better built.

11 hours ago, Hazard said:

Yes. I exchanged a couple and all their LCD panels creak and squeak like a cheap kid's toy. The XT3 I have has a much more solid screen casing. It also sounds hollow and as chap as on the X200. The rubber doors for the ports are also a downgrade. How is one to fix these when the rubber hinges eventually degrade and fall off- it doesn't seem to have a fix from the outside of the body. The video and photo quality is great but for a flagship it should feel like a precision instrument and it doesn't at all. Cheaper XT3 is better built.

Which Canon DSLR are you referring to if I may ask?

• 4 weeks later...

Couldnt agree more, I remember the XT-1 use to have machined dials on the top, and a very nice build qaulity.

fast forward to the XT-4 and we have like you said cheap punched dials on the top, the flip out screen does feel like it will break every time i flip it out, and why the hell did they not cover the back of the flip out screen with the same material as the canera is beyond me

• 2 months later...

I know I'm late to the table on this one.  I have a X-T2 that recently I'm having problems with the top dial plate.  The shutter release no longer goes alf way down and the dials are hard to move.  I sent it in to Fuji and the repair price is $600. USD, it's worth getting repaired.  I know the camera is getting up there in age.

My 10-24mm won't move from aperture to program, and, looking at the bottom of the barrel, or, mounting end, has a hair or crack.  Either way, doesn't look good.  The good think, it doesn't show up in any image so far.

My 16-55, the focus ring is hard to move, it's making grinding noise.

I have been a Fuji fan and user for over eight years, I take care of my equipment like a new born.  I just lost faith why all this is going on.

I wrote Fuji support last week, no return comment.

This puts me in a position to maybe looking at alternative camera manufacturers.

I believe X-T4 is made in China. The one I picked up at a demo day was, and it felt cheap and looked not good in comparison to the XT-3 definitely not Japanese quality. I did not buy instead at that time I bought a XPRO-3.

Edited by SPB
Left out Version

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, PhotoDelights said:

>fast forward to the XT-4 and we have like you said cheap punched dials on the top, the flip out screen does feel like it will break every time i flip it out<<

Looks like you never handled a X-T4, mine has metal dials, the flip-out screen feels as solid as on any other camera that has one and overall build quality is as good or better than any other camera that is/was in my posession.

Did you register an account here just to come spread fake information?

• 2 weeks later...

Do let us know what will be your feelings when you get it.

I'm also thinking to get one but , reading around various forums, I got the impression Fuji has some problems as far as goes for quality control and reliability. With XT series apparently much more affected than XH...

Gaetano

Edited by Gaman

Personally, I feel the X-T4 is fujifilm's best XT series yet for size, feel and build. It just feels more solid and better in the hand than my X-T2. The buttons on the back of the camera feel more precise, which can't be said for my X-T2. Some of the X-T4's are still made in Japan, but the majority are made in China. Fujifilm states that the camera's are identical for build. 

I was a bit disappointed that the EF-X8 is no longer included as well as the stand alone battery charger. An additional £59.00 is a lot for the official charger. This should be included.

I feel that if you keep charging via the USB-C socket, this must have some affect on the life of the internal electronics. The camera starts to heat up when it's charging, so I opted for official charger. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for USB charging. It is useful in certain suitations, but just not long term, it's a pain. It's far easier to take the battery out of the camera and into the charger that takes up little space, instead for a camera and USB cable cluttering up space. 

Edited by Mark White

22 hours ago, Mark White said:

Some of the X-T4's are still made in Japan, but the majority are made in China. Fujifilm states that the camera's are identical for build. 

I've been told by a Fuji rep. in London that the X-T4's build in Japan were part of the first series (start of production) that was predominantly shipped to the US to overcome trade taxes or kept in Japan (made here sentiment). Goal is to have all the X-T's and 'lower' manufactured in China and the 'flagship' cameras (GFX, X-Pro's and the next X-H) in Japan. There shouldn't be a difference in build quality.

No, there shouldn't be any difference, but to be honest, nearly all the camera's I've owned since 2010 have been made in China. The only Japanese camera I've owned is my X-T2. The card compartment failed, so I that got replaced, then 18 months later the main PCB board failed. I've no issues with Chinese gear at all. I think I'd actually prefer a Chinese made camera, given the choice. 20 years ago was probably a different story, but times change. 

If there's one thing I know,  Japanese consumers really don't like their home brand of camera's made in China, history will tell you why. From Fujifilm's point of view, business is business, if they can save money having camera's made outside of Japan they will. It would be interesting to know if Fuji dealers in Japan sell Japanese made XT-4's?

Edited by Mark White

On 4/6/2021 at 6:53 AM, Mark White said:

No, there shouldn't be any difference, but to be honest, nearly all the camera's I've owned since 2010 have been made in China. The only Japanese camera I've owned is my X-T2. The card compartment failed, so I that got replaced, then 18 months later the main PCB board failed. I've no issues with Chinese gear at all. I think I'd actually prefer a Chinese made camera, given the choice. 20 years ago was probably a different story, but times change.

Yes, agreed. All of my computers are made in China and many other electronic devices are also made in China.

Japanese cars, for example, are no longer guarantee of quality and reliability. Someone I know bought a Honda Odyssey and ended up with a broken transmission and costed him $5000 to fix. Personally, I had to dump my Toyota after only a little over 30,000 miles in less than 4 years due to brake problems and other electronic problems. I paid premium price for my Toyota thinking I bought quality. But quality was not there.

• 4 weeks later...

I bumped mine against some hard plastic trim in the car yesterday. Without much force.

Now I know I should forget about it and carry on with the shooting, it will happen again sooner or later, but It gets on my nerves and I keep looking at this spot. Has anyone ever tried to cover something like this up with touch up paint :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JanosP