IBIS vs Lens OIS

carrot

The manual says if the lens OIS is switched on it overrides the camera IBIS, so I tried comparing the two systems hand-held with the 50-140 and 18-55 lenses.  In both cases, the lens OIS switched on was significantly better better than with the lens OIS switched off , i.e. than the IBIS.  Then tried the IBIS with the 16-55 lens which has no OIS, and the image was rock steady.  I'd be interested to hear what others have found doing this simple test.

I also have the 18-55mm and I'm seeing the same results. It seems like the OIS switch on the lens turns off all stabilization. I'm working in the Video mode, so I don't know if there is any difference in the Photo mode.

I've had a reply from Fujifilm UK on this now, and it confirms the last post.

They state "The OIS switch on any lens 'overrides' the IBIS setting in the camera.  If the camera is set to continuous and then the OIS switch on the lens is set to 'off', the IBIS switches off as well."

So if you have a lens with OIS it means the brand new IBIS is completely irrelevant, it may as well not be there.  IBIS is simply there for lenses that lack OIS.  I wonder if this means all new Fuji lenses will now come without OIS??

19 hours ago, carrot said:

I've had a reply from Fujifilm UK on this now, and it confirms the last post.

They state "The OIS switch on any lens 'overrides' the IBIS setting in the camera.  If the camera is set to continuous and then the OIS switch on the lens is set to 'off', the IBIS switches off as well."

So if you have a lens with OIS it means the brand new IBIS is completely irrelevant, it may as well not be there.  IBIS is simply there for lenses that lack OIS.  I wonder if this means all new Fuji lenses will now come without OIS??

I don't understand your argument.

Surely all this says is that you cannot have IBIS only if you have a OIS lens. It doesn't say that IBIS has no effect with an OIS lens and OIS turned on.

• 3 months later...

I'm lost here

The OIS works  only on two axis: Vertical and Horixontal. The IBIS works on 5 axis, Vertical and Horizontal, as the OIS, adn adding 4 more: Yaw, Pitch and Roll. So od the OIS is ON its overriding the IBIS then I'm loosing the the other 3 axis (Pitch, Yaw and Rolls)?

If You have a lens with OIS that has not on/off switch on the lens - what then? Like the lens XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR (that I have), it has no OIS on/off switch on the side, it is set in the camera Settings menu only to turn OIS on/off for video mode, Movie Setting:, IS Mode:

IBIS/OIS (I have that selected)
or
IBIS/OIS +DIS
or
Off

There is also IS Mode Boost that can be set to On (or Off)  (I have it set to Boost.)

For Still (photo) mode it is in camera menu Shooting Setting, IS Mode:

Continous (I have that selected)
Shooting only
Off

So for Video it seems it is is both IBIS and OIS  in ise but for Still (photo) it is IS Mode Continous I use - is it both IBIS and OIS then?

Thanks for clarification.
Bo

• 2 months later...

I'm new to the Fuji world. I have an X-T200 and an X-S10. I also have a Sony a6400.

One of the primary reasons I purchased the X-S10 is for its IBIS.

Stabilization for Video

The Sony a6400 has no IBIS so I have to use only lenses with OSS (Optical Steady Shot aka OIS everywhere else). Note that with Sony APS-C cameras, stabilization is not its forte whether or not its IBIS or lens-based. With handheld videos, if I'm walking carefully or if I'm stationary, the footage is "not too bad" - it is usable in some cases or it can be stabilized by software. 

With the X-T200, with OIS enabled on the XF18-55mm f2.8-4 or even the XC15-45mm PZ kit lens, the footage is somewhat "comparable" to that of the a6400 from a stabilization perspective. But the video quality on the a6400 is generally better (that's because of Sony's better autofocusing system).

I have only had the X-S10 recently and have not yet used it much to date. But so far what I can tell is this - the effect of the stabilization features appear to be cumulative. Using IBIS only or IBIS + OIS or IBIS + OIS + IBIS Boost - the video stabilization seems to improve as more stabilization features are used in combination with each other. I have not yet used the Digital IS as I seem to recall this feature will result in cropping. With the few videos I've taken, the X-S10 with IBIS + OIS appears to be more stable than footage taken from either the X-T200 or the a6400. For video quality: X-S10 > X-T200 but it's too early to tell how the X-S10 stacks up with the a6400.