X-T3 Viewfinder Delay When Turning On

jknapoo

I'm having trouble with my viewfinder lagging when i turn on my camera. Sometimes waiting 5 seconds until i get a view of what i want to shoot. Obviously its frustrating cause i miss shots waiting for it to turn on. I've tried calling Fuji customer service, lady on the phone was terrible, seemed annoyed she had to answer the phone and talk to me. They suggested turning on "boost" mode but still no luck. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix? 

Live in LA, is there any Fujifilm repair shops that you recommend? 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jknapoo

I had an X-t2. Have an x-t3 since its come out. This was never an issue on the x-t2.  On the X-t3 this was never an issue UNTIL a couple of firmware updates ago.  I noticed that when I turned it on after a firmware update it had the SAME problem that you described.  

The SD card blnks green during the delay. I have a Sandisk and lexar 128 MB v90 300mb/s cards rated for 4K video sustained recording. Not cheap cards at all. 

I use only a Leica Summilux lens, no fuji lenses at all. So no electronic connection to the lens. not sure if its good or bad. 

During my street photography shoots, I leave it on with an aggressive power save shutdown after 30 seconds. This circumvents the boot up which is, for the x-t3, unacceptable. 

By contrast, I have a Canon R for studio work, it has a fast boot up, I leave the power save shutdown OFF or I loose the live wifi transfer. 

Both solutions require extra batteries, though 😉.

So in conclusion, the boot up time appears to be a recent unfortunate addition from a firmware update. The Solution is to anticipate it by leaving the camera on standby, not off, set the power down to 30 seconds or less, bring extra batteries.  

We should talk to fuji as its unacceptable.  shutter lag is rated at 45ms lag. however we haven't rated boot time for cameras in recent specs because its been a non issue for the past 10 years IMHO. 

Curious of our X-t4 brothers and sisters have a similar report. 

Edited by Archiea

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 11:56 AM, jknapoo said:

I'm having trouble with my viewfinder lagging when i turn on my camera. Sometimes waiting 5 seconds until i get a view of what i want to shoot. Obviously its frustrating cause i miss shots waiting for it to turn on. I've tried calling Fuji customer service, lady on the phone was terrible, seemed annoyed she had to answer the phone and talk to me. They suggested turning on "boost" mode but still no luck. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix? 

Live in LA, is there any Fujifilm repair shops that you recommend? 

Thanks

I narrowed down my problem:  I use a sandisk and a lexar SD cards int he camera. when I remove the lexar and out a same speed sands, the camera boots up fine!!! when I remove all dandies and out the lexar, it has that 5 second delay start.  its the Lexar card.  

I have a video zoom call with some fuji tech guys tomorrow, I will ask them.  in the meantime I will empty the lexar, do a low level reformat and try again. will report back.  

Check your cards and report back!