I'm currently considering the current Fuji offer of the XE-3 at $500 this spring 2020. I had an XE-1 and currently use the XE-2s. I'm a bit concerned about moving from the d-pad to a joy stick and the touch screen. I've seen several negative remarks here on the forum. Any thoughts on whether the image quality/benefits are worth making a switch/upgrade? Thanks, Jim White. 

Jim, I'll start off by saying I'm completely in the tank for the X-E3, so my opinion is anything but objective.

When I came to Fujifilm, I selected the X-E3 very carefully to suit my specific needs and best value. I was careful to NOT compare the X-E3 to other models because every model matches a different set of needs.

In that regard, I never compared the X-E3 ergonomics to another Fujifilm model, with or without the D-Pad. However, I migrated from Nikon where I did have a D-Pad, and I do not miss it at all on the X-E3. In fact, I find X-E3 ergonomics to be optimal; I really don't think they can any more efficient than they are. For me, I think the addition of a D-Pad would actually slow me down. In shopping for a spare body, I rejected the X-E2s because of the D-Pad and placement of the other buttons. It just felt clumsy to me compared to the X-E3. 

I believe the X-E3 at $500 USD is one of the best value opportunities in the market. I am buying another X-E3 at this price, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

And my hope for the upcoming X-E4? I just hope it's the X-E3 just as it is.

Hi Jim,

I myself had the X-E2 and then, X-E2S.  II have a X-E3 for about 6 months now. It is a wonderful deal.

What can I say : The joystick is not perfect when you dive too much in in the menus. Sometimes I hit and miss. I use the Jpg to Raw in camera conversion menu, I cannot go as fast as with the d-pad. Nevertheless, the joystick works very well for choosing focus. I have no big issues with swipes, it works well for me.

May i add that the X-E3 is a totally different camera that its predecessors. Its more advanced in features and sensor. While the image quality, on the specs sheet, is better, the rendering of the image is different, i still find the X-E2s image quality wonderful.

The two negatives for the X-E2s, the skin smoothing on images at higher ISO and its video quality made want to upgrade, not the image quality or the resolution. The video quality on the X-E3 is okay but not as nice as the X-T2 slightly cropped version.

I much prefer the X-E1, X-E2, X-E2s's design to the X-E3.

I hope this help you ... 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

not sure if you're still looking - but i was shopping for a new x-e3 and the 23mm f 2.0 prime and considered taking new jersey transit into manhatten to visit the big two stores and make the purchase.  then found both camera and lens as a package for $749 at bestbuy, which is $200 less!!  i just checked as i am posting this, that deal is still available. and no!, i don't work for bb or have any interest other than sharing info about what i thought was a huge discount!

The main benefit of the 24Mp sensor in the X-E3 vs. the 16Mp sensor in the X-E2s is that the 24Mp gives you more room for cropping your image. The visible difference in (un-cropped) image quality you'll only start to notice in larger prints (larger than about 30x45cm). A main advantage of the X-E3 over the X-E2s is the much faster and decisive AF, although that also depends on the lenses you use. For me the joystick is a real benefit. The cleaner back without the D-Pad gives me a natural resting place for my thumb without the risk of unintentional operating D-Pad buttons. You have to take into account that you have a few less buttons to configure freely though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Being an owner of a X-T4, I am waiting for the issue of the X-E4 to get it as a secondary camera. I was looking at the X-E3 sales on B&H, hesitating if the 4th is worth waiting, but today I've figured out that none version of X-E3 is available. Is it a coinstance, or Fuji is about to show up with the X-E4?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 4:31 PM, Jim White said:

I think this is Fuji's third round of "sales" that I've noticed this year, maybe they've finally moved them all out? They were about to wear me down with this one. I hadn't noticed that none where now available! Thanks for the update, maybe I need to look at the discounted X-T3?

If that was a third sale and there's still none of X-E3 there now, probably yes.
And certainly, X-T3 is the best alternative to X-E3 for $1K.
But still I'd really love to see the 4th model to have something more compact in my pocket :)

A couple sites claim they are on back order and more are on the way...I also like the size of the X-E's and pretty much take it with me everywhere. I guess I've got a bit of "pixel" envy and wonder if a newer sensor would be nice. The X-T3 is also probably more camera than I really "need" , so many cameras so little time & money...:)