Will a soft release button help me control bursts?

Chain

So he can do it in manual focus (when you said he couldn't) and now you are telling him he can't do it in Auto Focus (when you told him he had to do it in Manual?)???  Make up your mind.  What do you want people to achieve this in?  Auto or Manual?

So far he's the only one that can make it work, which is inherently suspicious. I'm not going to just believe him when so many other people have clearly found that it doesn't work in real life. 

My question about manual focus was to remove the inconsistent distraction of AF time. All the questions and tests we're doing are about isolating why it works for him but is impossible for almost everyone else. 

His answer showed that M v. AF wasn't the problem, and it can work and fail in both cases, so together we isolated the problem which is a good thing :)

He's seems to have been the only person to have experimented with intentionally-slow shutter speeds, so I tried that and found that it had a major effect on the possibility+reliability of getting a single shot in CL mode.

How can you call it a bug that the camera shoots bursts in burst mode?  This is the most nonsensical conversation about continuous shooting modes that I think I have ever witnessed.  Learn trigger control.  It's your bug, not the cameras..

It's a bug because it almost always takes two shots, as everyone who tried it has learned, but in some specific, undocumented cases (slow shutter speed and/or delayed focus via. not locking focus) it takes only one shot.

Features that work randomly are bugs if they annoy you, and this one annoys pretty much everyone who tries to get single shots out of CL mode. 

If you wanted it to always take two shots because that's what it does, you don't get it when the shutter is slow: Bug. 

If you wanted it to take one shot when you quickly push the button you don't get that because so often it is literally not possible to move fast enough: Bug. 

It should consistently do one thing or the other and it should be referenced in the manual. 

My trigger control is not the issue because the amount of time to get a single shot isn't consistent, it's essentially random and sometimes impossible.

It's not the end of the world, and I understand where subtle issues like this come from, but it's still a bug. Pretty much all other camera brands have solved this, so Fuji looks silly and we're annoyed.

After reading this ridiculous thread I put a new card in my camera and played with it this afternoon.  I consistently got one shot in both AF-S and Manual focus in CL mode.  Not sure what the problem is, but here's a tip for you all wanting to take one shot...Switch the selector on top to Single Shot Mode and when you want a slow burst, switch to CL mode, when you want the highest frame rate, switch to CH mode or learn to control your shutter.  Seriously, it's three freaking clicks.  It's not hard and it's not easy to mistakenly switch to ADV or Bracket or anything.  You count one left is CL, two left is CH, two back right is S, one back right is CL.  

It's not broken, it's designed to work this way.  It'd be a bug if it wasn't consistent with it's shot count.  If you pressed it and got two shots one time, four shots another time and one shot another time (not accounting for user error ex: slow shutter, out of focus etc..); then it'd be a bug.  Bugs point to inconsistencies, not consistencies.  Clearly it is you that is different and not the camera.  Stop with the silly nonsense...

I don't think that I have to prove anything, nor do I think that I am suspicious in any way. I have no connection whatsoever with Fujifilm, any camera store or anyone else in the camera industry. I am a scientist at heart (and in my job), and as such solely interested in facts and truth. I have no reason to defend a piece of hardware, and would certainly not try to hide any flaws. The X-T1 has a healthy amount of flaws, like most of the mirrorless cameras to date, but not being able to shoot single images in CL/CH drive mode with any combination of other settings is not one of them. When I decided to take out my camera, try some things, and post the results in this thread, the only purpose was to help you guys who seem to have a problem with your cameras. And to the day I have no idea if the OP has tried the test procedure I suggested in my first posting.

... however: I use my camera as CRAusmus described it: Set the drive mode selector to the mode I want to use (in the majority of cases single shot), and take pictures. If I put it to CH, I usually am in a situation where I keep my finger on the shutter button until the camera locks up and I curse my buffer again for being too small. (yes, I know, the X-T1 does not lock up but shoots on with the frame rate it can write directly to the card)

anyway, since I like facts and data and stuff, when I tested it again previously, my shutter speed was set to 1/250th. And since the X-T1 does about eight frames per second in CH and about three frames per second in CL, you have a maximum of 1/8th or 1/3rd second to get your finger off the shutter button before the camera has to take the next frame. Probably even much less (1/10th or so). That's not much time, and if you don't come from a Canon 1D / 7Dm2 or Nikon D4s, your DSLR was not faster than that.

[...]
I consistently got one shot in both AF-S and Manual focus in CL mode.  Not sure what the problem is
[...]

yeah, right? :)

After reading this ridiculous thread I put a new card in my camera and played with it this afternoon.  I consistently got one shot in both AF-S and Manual focus in CL mode.  Not sure what the problem is, but here's a tip for you all wanting to take one shot...Switch the selector on top to Single Shot Mode and when you want a slow burst, switch to CL mode, when you want the highest frame rate, switch to CH mode or learn to control your shutter.  Seriously, it's three freaking clicks.  It's not hard and it's not easy to mistakenly switch to ADV or Bracket or anything.  You count one left is CL, two left is CH, two back right is S, one back right is CL.  

Fabulously pedantic response bro. Adds nothing that wasn't obvious to everyone, hope it made you feel smart at least. 

It's not broken, it's designed to work this way.  It'd be a bug if it wasn't consistent with it's shot count.  If you pressed it and got two shots one time, four shots another time and one shot another time (not accounting for user error ex: slow shutter, out of focus etc..); then it'd be a bug.  Bugs point to inconsistencies, not consistencies.  Clearly it is you that is different and not the camera.  Stop with the silly nonsense...

Have you ever tried another camera before you wrote this? There are plenty of people in this thread who have observed the same thing and you dismiss them in an extremely arrogant way. If you want to help Fuji then point out to them where other brands are doing better. Don't belittle other people. It doesn't help anybody.

Have you ever tried another camera before you wrote this? There are plenty of people in this thread who have observed the same thing and you dismiss them in an extremely arrogant way. If you want to help Fuji then point out to them where other brands are doing better. Don't belittle other people. It doesn't help anybody.

Think you're lost in the conversation man.  I'm not having a problem...It's a couple of others in this thread that are, but not me.

You have a problem with other people having a problem. And basically you are calling them stupid.

Not really.  I have a problem with the incessant whining that goes on in this forum though, and the I take issues with someone saying something is a buggy because it doesn't work the way Nikon or Cannon works.  Spreading false information as it were.  You have to learn to work with a system.  We all chose Fuji.  If you don't want to continue to buy Fuji, then by all means switch systems.  It won't hurt my feeling and it won't hurt Fuji's either.  I'd much rather people find a system they are happy with then say a system is broken because it doesn't work like one they like better.  That...Is Stupid...

I also take issues with someone putting words in my mouth.  If I think you're stupid, I won't beat around the bush, I'll say "You're Stupid".

Not really.  I have a problem with the incessant whining that goes on in this forum though, and the I take issues with someone saying something is a buggy because it doesn't work the way Nikon or Cannon works.  Spreading false information as it were.  You have to learn to work with a system.  We all chose Fuji.  If you don't want to continue to buy Fuji, then by all means switch systems.  It won't hurt my feeling and it won't hurt Fuji's either.  I'd much rather people find a system they are happy with then say a system is broken because it doesn't work like one they like better.  That...Is Stupid...

I also take issues with someone putting words in my mouth.  If I think you're stupid, I won't beat around the bush, I'll say "You're Stupid".

This will be my last post. If you have a problem with what other people are having an issue with then just stay out of it. Nothing lost and nobody will bug you.

However, if Fuji wants to have success they will listen to the "whiners" and not to people like you. The market is very competitive and if other brands do something better (yes, other brands'  burst implementation is better) then Fuji better pay attention.