Will a soft release button help me control bursts?

Chain

Hey everyone,

So I would like to keep my XT1 set to CL or CH at all times but still be able to take single shots. That way I can go along taking single shots but when the need arises (person changes expression or some action is involved) I can just keep my finger on the shutter button. The thing is when I set the camera to CL or CH it is really really hard to take only one picture, most of the times the camera takes two. 

Will a soft release button help?

Thanks

In short, no. I used to keep my Canon 1-series cameras on CL all the time, and that was the most comfortable modus operandi. On Nikon it was not so comfortable… and on Fuji it's nearly impossible to consistently shoot just 1 frame on CL. Height of the button has very little to do with it, it's a combination of overall travel and force needed to break that last resistance. Canon got it nailed, Nikon got close (but no cigar), Fuji is… well, mushy. 

Thanks for the replies,

That is really anoying, I use my Nikon that way and really like it, I find the single shots on the XT1 so slow (the time the camera takes to take the photo and to be ready to shoot again) I was really hoping this would help me overcome that issue.

much, in this respect, depends on all sorts of settings, have you tried some other ones?

The slowness of the single shot or not being able to take single shots in burst mode?

I have high performance on, image review set to off what other settings can I try?

Thanks

the speed between shots  ;)  ( you know half full glass as opposed to half full). 

different card speed? different type of shutter?

I am using MS shutter type and a sandisk extreme 45MB/s.

It is very difficult to get two single shots in a fast way, it seems as if I have my camera set to a slow shutter speed (more or less equivalent to 1/4th second on a dlsr, even a a cheap one).  I have tried shooting without a memory card but the results are the same. 

Will a 95MB/s card help?

Thanks

I just played around with my X-T1 a bit to find out what bothers you, and I guess I did. Sadly, I think there's nothing that will help.

First: trying to take just a single picture in CH or CL is possible for me, although you have to release the button so fast that it introduces so much shake to the camera that it's useless (for me). To try this, set the shutter speed of the camera to 1s and work your way up to higher shutter speeds. At 1s, you have enough time to release the shutter button, and to "train your finger". To answer your initial question, I don't think a soft release button will help.

Then, on to the single shot: The camera does a lot of things before taking the picture. Measuring the exposure, closing or opening the aperture, autofocus. To see if your problem is caused by one of these, open your aperture all the way, dial in ISO and a fast enough shutter speed (1/250 or so) manually, and set your camera to manual focus. Then try shooting in single shot mode. For me, the camera shoots as fast as i can press the shutter button. This, sadly, means, that there is probably no possibility to make the camera shoot fast in single shot mode while maintaining usability (namely automatic exposure and autofocus).

It is a shame really, 

I will return the XT1 and buy some 1.8 Nikon primes, cheaper than the fujis and weight about the same (I know, I know, they are not as good as the fujis). I really wanted to love the fuji and know so many excellent photographers that do some amazing work woth them but this camera is not for me,  maybee with the XT2, who knows!

Thanks for the  help!

Chain - Indeed stuff like this is why I keep my D7000 around. That, and the fact there isn't a Fuji 180/2.8 prime. Or a 300/4. And certainly not one I can buy for $350 used. (Two lenses that I use a lot for sports.) A fuji 90/2 is undoubtedly a spectacular lens, but is it worth DOUBLE what a Nikon 85/1.8 costs? The value proposition for me for Fuji is still "smaller with similar or better performance" but it's within a fairly narrow band. The Fuji system isn't nearly mature yet, but it is getting better all the time. And I simply really enjoy using it.

The biggest area on shutter release improvement can be made by using the right portion of the finger, the ball of the index finger not the tip. By rolling the ball of your finger onto the release button you are better able to make minute pressure adjustments and thus control release rates when in CL or CH. I would say that the Fuji implementation of single frame release in CH is pretty much impossible, certainly not consistent but in CL it is definitely possible and very consistent.

I never understood so called soft release buttons because they raise the release button from the release collar which is designed to rest the finger, think of Nikon F film bodies.

Despite never having had this “ need" of putting the camera on CL and shooting single shots, I just did try, and it works fine on my X-T1.

I’ve made repeated attempts and never had a problem to control getting a single shot or more.

I could do this at will. Of course you need to pay attention but it was not beyond my capabilities and despite my disability at handling fine objects ( I have had carpal tunnel syndrome, at the relative surgery to correct it on both hands).

I don’t know if this has anything to do with the design of my extra-large Lolumina soft shutter release but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one thing I felt a lot of difference when moving from Canon to Fuji.  I always had my Canon on burst mode, but on the Fuji X-E2 it can't be controlled.  On CL it just fires away and I was never able to get it to shoot one shot only on burst, so I gave it up.

Not being able to do one shot in burst mode will keep you from filling up your card unecessarily.  So, if you really need to take more than one shot you change it, otherwise, you just miss the other shots, so...got to be fast on the trigger to shoot that one shot that will work at the right moment.

• 1 month later...

with a large soft release button such as the Lolumina, as written above, this function it’s perfectly feasible , but not all cameras can possibly satisfy everyone in doing everything, seen your negative comments on your first post maybe Fuji is not the camera for you? Just a thought.

One needs to find some goodness in the stuff that one uses, if you don’t then maybe there is another camera that would satisfy you needs better. Life is to short to keep up with negative feelings.

If you hold this and other things against this camera why staying with this system? If on the other hand you are prepared to live with some shortcomings ( such as the rubberized surface coming off) then maybe you can enjoy the system for what it is.

Try the lolumina, costs very little for what it does. The extra large one.

Good luck.