XT3 to XT4

Hanley73

Hi guys

Completely new to the forum but just wanted to say hello and also to ask opinions on moving from XT3 to XT4.

How many have you have done it? Is it worth it?

Part of me wants to do it as I really like the added functionality of the IBIS, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I currently use the XT3 with the 23mm f4, 8-16mm f/2.8, 50-140mm f/2.8, 10-24mm f/4 and the 18-55mm kit lens. :)

Hanley, I just received my X-T4, and I can tell you, it's a wonderful piece of equipment. I upgraded from an X-T2, but had considered the X-T3 with the recent price drop. 

My decision to upgrade  was based on the following:

• The advanced face and eye-detection for the AF (I've shot with an X-T30, and it is noticeably better than the X-T2, however, it is not weather sealed and I enjoy street photography on a rainy day).

• I was one of the Fuji shooters who really wished I had better battery life.  Although, it made me hesitant to pull the trigger.  I have six of the NP-126s batteries, now I will have to start building a reserve of the larger battery.

• I had a tough time deciding between the X-T3 and X-T4, it's the same sensor and processor - so for 90% of the images I take, it will be the same photo, and I do not shoot video.  However, I do like to shoot street photography at night, so I am hopeful the IBIS will help with sharper images (can't wait until quarantine is lifted so I can shoot). 

• Between the X-T3 and X-T4 I also liked that the shutter on the new camera has been redesigned and is (reportedly) much more durable. I shoot a lot of local sports for work - and those bursts can rack up a lot of shutter actuations.  The longer shutter life was a major plus for me.

In short - if I already had an X-T3, I likely would not have upgraded just for the IBIS.  However, since I was on the X-T2 and looking for a new body, the X-T4 had some key features (longer battery, more durable shutter, and AF) that I really did want.  

I hope that helps!

I also upgraded to from the X-T2 to the X-T4 (silver version)

I did not even consider the X-T3. I wanted the IBIS (Now I can sell my X-H1). While I never owned the X-T3, I have briefly used one. I like the handling of the X-T4 better. The grip is a bit bigger for the new battery and that small difference makes it feel just that extra bit more secure in my hand. It is the first of the X-T line that feels perfect for my hands without the added vertical grip. I have the X-T4 Vertical Grip too, but I have not used it yet. 

The greater battery life is important for me too... between the greater battery life and the more solid grip, I am more likely to leave the vertical grip home.

The shutter sound is quiet and controlled. Very unobtrusive! 

Upgrading from the X-T2 is a no brainer for me. If I had an X-T3, I would think about it. The IBIS and bigger battery would likely sway me. 

I'm a stills photographer and switched from the X-T3 to the X-T4 because of the IBIS and better auto-focus.

Generally speaking I'm satisfied with it except for one very important thing: The new screen doesn't allow you to use an L-bracket. I work with a tripod quite often and the impossibility of using a proper L-bracket is an important problem. I had ordered two X-T4s and have cancelled the second one. I will keep one X-T3 to use with my tripod and will use the X-T4 when not using a tripod.

Aladroer, have you noticed an improvement in AF-C? There doesn't seems to be a significant one.

And low light AF-C is still not very good, I make at test at home usually, it is slightly better than X-T3, similar to my Sony A7 III, and far worse than my EOS-R.

Oh well, will have to continue to use the EOS-R for really low light I guess ....

Edited by Tibi

23 hours ago, Tibi said:

Aladroer, have you noticed an improvement in AF-C? There doesn't seems to be a significant one.

And low light AF-C is still not very good, I make at test at home usually, it is slightly better than X-T3, similar to my Sony A7 III, and far worse than my EOS-R.

Oh well, will have to continue to use the EOS-R for really low light I guess ....

AF-C focuses at working aperture. Have you tried using AF-C with a wide aperture?

• 8 months later...

I upgraded from a T3 to a T4, mainly because of the IBIS (I was experimenting with vintage lenses, and none of them have OIS), and because of the battery life.  With the T3 I always felt I was in Austerity Mode with quite a lot of the battery draining options switched off so I could get reasonable life out of it.  The flip side is the T3 batteries are pretty small so it's not a big deal to carry around spares. I can't say I've really clocked the autofocus being better, I didn't have them at the same time so I couldn't make a comparison.  The flippy screen, well I came from Canon, which have the T4 style screen, but I got surprisingly used to the T3 style, on balance I prefer the T4 but I'd have to say the T3 style would be better for discreet street photography.

BUT I think I fitted into the 'more money than sense' category.  I had always wanted a T4, and I traded my equipment in just as lockdown was announced.  Fuji announced delays to the T4, and also hinted the price might rise even higher, and I thought the camera retailer might go bust and I would risk losing all credit they were holding, so I jumped and bought a T3 instead.  And I'd have to say, although I'm very happy with the T4, I like the weight and the slightly bigger grip, it is £500 more expensive than the T3, half the price more.