Only 26mp on the TX4 ...

Joe500

I'd considered upgrading from my two 16mp XT-10s to the 26mp TX4 but wonder if the modest jump in pixel count is worth it - realizing that it's area and not linear. After all the Sony A7R4 has gone to 61mp which, even cropped to APS-C, is still over 27mp by my estimate. I love the Fuji X f.4 10-24mm and would hate to have to go the equivalent weighty monster in a 35mm mirrorless system. Is there any chance that Fujifilm might have a sensor (for a TX5/XT-4?) in the pipeline which is in the region of 30-35mp. I would upgrade for that!

Rereading my draft I think I might have answered my own question - 26mp on APS-C is close to the  density of 60mp on full-frame, so is it current state of thee art?

the jump from 16 to 26 is definitely NOT modest...i noticed a significant difference going from 20mp to 24mp

at the moment, the highest resolution in a crop system is the canon M6 mk 2/canon 90d, at 32mp, or you could go the olympus MFT route with their high res mode, which takesmultiple exposures and combines them for something like 60mp as far as i remember

if resolution is of the utmost importance, go the GFX route, otherwise you will be plenty happy with 26mp

1 hour ago, Olaf W. said:

Are you cropping a lot or why do you assume more MP could be useful? IMHO you should look for other differences between the models than just the resolution of the sensors.

My primary interest is landscape with lots of detail and having the option to print large. Initially I looked at settling on one sharp compact prime wide angle lens for Sony FE (like the Zeiss Loxia 21mm or 25mm, with dedicated manual focusing on full frame camera), with enough resolution to crop moderately if necessary for framing, or to extend the versatility a little of the fixed focal length - certainly not cropping a lot or all the time. Other features of the camera would be subsidiary, as it's mainly still imagery with a tripod, not action or video or extended focal lengths.

I then looked at an ultra-wide to medium-wide zoom as another option, being more versatile, which is where I realized I wanted the same characteristic as the Fujinon XF 10-24mm on APS-C, i.e. the Sony FE 16-35mm f.4. That's a heavy and bulky lens, which brings me back to retaining the Fuji 10-24mm and wishing for a higher res.sensor  on APS-C.

7 minutes ago, andrei89 said:

the jump from 16 to 26 is definitely NOT modest...i noticed a significant difference going from 20mp to 24mp

at the moment, the highest resolution in a crop system is the canon M6 mk 2/canon 90d, at 32mp, or you could go the olympus MFT route with their high res mode, which takesmultiple exposures and combines them for something like 60mp as far as i remember

if resolution is of the utmost importance, go the GFX route, otherwise you will be plenty happy with 26mp

Thanks andrei89. I suppose, when I said "modest"jump, I was thinking of the slight jump from 24mp to 26mp, after I'd previously decided to wait for a higher res sensor than in the X-T20 or the X-T2. Interesting about the Canon camera, although already use the Sony RX10 Mk4 as well as Fujifilm X-T10, and don't want to go to yet another make.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive made 30 x 20 from my XT1 which was "only 16mp".  Now with my XT2 and XH-1 I honestly haven't made anything larger than that same size 30" x 20" and I cannot tell the difference.  I am a firm believer in "shot Discipline".  To me, this is much more critical than the megapixel count.  I find myself focusing with auto focus, then switching to manual to micro tune.  I have a solid tripod,  I use my 2 second self timer, and if the situation permits I use the electronic shutter just in case.  I also block the wind with my body if need be. All these combined will help you achieve amazing results.  To me these are more important now than ever as I now shoot with not only my X camera(s) but my medium format Fuji gear.  

I have yet to print larger than 13 x 19" from the GFX but I do have plans to print a 50 x 40" print on acrylic/glass.  I need to generate that 200mb tiff to send in to the printer.

Hope this helps.  Just keep in mind it's not always megapixels...