I am elated to hear the X-E4 might be back on the roadmap. I am very excited the form factor lives.

Fujifilm, please remember, the X-E is MINIMALIST. We know you can put nearly un-imaginable features in a camera, but you already did that to about a dozen other models. I think X-E users love those cameras because of what isn't on them. 

9 minutes ago, Peters Dad said:

Thumbs up to Itchy Shutter Finger.  I agree with all he said. 👍

Put IBS and weather sealing on it and call it good.  

As "Itchy" said, "...XE users love those cameras because of what isn't on them."

Like both of your suggestions.  The X-E2IV is the camera that provides me with the most fun, since "film" ~ however, I'll need an RX100V tilt screen on the X-E4, or I'll keep using the Sony's for more serious photography.

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Peters Dad said:

Thumbs up to Itchy Shutter Finger.  I agree with all he said. 👍

Put IBS and weather sealing on it and call it good.  

As "Itchy" said, "...XE users love those cameras because of what isn't on them."

I'm ok with not introducing IBIS to the camera. Why? It increases the weight, it increases the price, it will possibly increase the size, OIS is built into to some of the zoom lens already, the shorter primes really don't need this IMO, instead, adjust the aperture and speed and ISO,,,,easy! 

• 2 months later...

No sooner did I ask if anyone had heard anything about the X-E4, Fuji Rumors says it will be coming out during the first quarter of next year! (did he read my forum question and ask someone "in the know"?).  I'm going to be on pins and needles until then with my brain conjuring up all sorts of wish list items.  But still, I don't want to see it overloaded with gadgets, bells and whistles.

On 10/11/2020 at 5:07 AM, Peters Dad said:

Anybody heard any further word on an X-E4?

I'm disappointed the X-S10 wasn't an X-E4.  (Not really liking the X-S10 - not retro enough for me and obviously not a rangefinder style.  Looks like any other of its competitors.  I guess that's for another discussion thread).

It is my hope that the X-E4 will keep more of the retro, add the 26MP sensor,  little more grip, stay compact, and be price competitive.  Also, Fuji should move to full frame with the X100 line, call the first one the X1000?  Let the E4 fill the compact APS sensor demand.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:32 PM, jaxphotocat said:

It is my hope that the X-E4 will keep more of the retro, add the 26MP sensor,  little more grip, stay compact, and be price competitive.  Also, Fuji should move to full frame with the X100 line, call the first one the X1000?  Let the E4 fill the compact APS sensor demand.

Ah yes, thank you jaxphotocat... Agreed, I forgot to mention the X-E4 needs the 26 MP sensor.  I put a case on my old X-E1and a thumb rest to create a better grip.  I'm a big guy with big hands.  Sure like the compactness of the X-E series over the XPro-3.

Interesting thought about full-frame X100.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have low expectations of the X-E4, as I don't see FujiFilm doing much for still shooters. In all fairness, not much more is required over the X-E3. I expect any improvements will be nice, but not required. I really can't think of a photo situation I can't shoot because of an X-E3 shortcoming.

I expect any innovation will be for video/selfie customers, and if this turns out to be the case, I'l just live on with my existing pair of X-E3 cameras.

11 hours ago, itchy shutter finger said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I have low expectations of the X-E4, as I don't see FujiFilm doing much for still shooters. In all fairness, not much more is required over the X-E3. I expect any improvements will be nice, but not required. I really can't think of a photo situation I can't shoot because of an X-E3 shortcoming.

I expect any innovation will be for video/selfie customers, and if this turns out to be the case, I'l just live on with my existing pair of X-E3 cameras.

I can't disagree with you on that, "itchy", and wouldn't be surprised if you were right.  I passed on the X- E3 in hopes of a 4, so trying to stay positive on what they may come up with.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Peters Dad said:

I think I can pretty safely say it's not going to be an RX100V articulating screen... but we never know, do we? 

I think/hope this time Fuji could give us something valuable as X-E4 will be the last camera in line utilizing current tech and it's possible success won't affect any sales of their hi tier offerings. So why to miss an opportunity to get more profit.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am excited to possibly see an X-E4 with a little better grip, and definitely a must have tilt screen. not the ones to take selfies!!!!

I love my X-T3 because of the tilt screen as I shoot many low angle images in vertical. but I love the design of my X-Pro2, for street shooting, but for fine art, I need (MUST HAVE) a tilt screen in the vertical configuration. it's as if Fuji has no idea that not all images are shot horizontal. That's also the reason I bought the GFXs medium format camera, instead of the GFX r. I needed the tilt screen in Vertical. but I would have rather spent $1000 les to get the camera I wanted instead. and, the S is larger and heaver than the r.

since I used to shoot with a Leica in my film days, I love the rangefinder styled cameras. That's what got me to invest in the Fuji X-Pro1. so I am excited to see an  X-E4, with a little better ergonomics, not too large as the X-Pro3, but with more physical dials instead of hidden  menus, and a high MP sensor.

but please please please give me a tilt screen for vertical low angle shots.      

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't mind the reduction of buttons and clutter on the back of the camera. It makes it better to grip but I will admit, I do not like touch screen. Fortunately most of my camera, I just needed 3 controls to be readily available, aperture, shutter speed and iso. As long as these 3 are quick to adjust, I am good to go. Looks like the XE-4 would be fine in term of that. The only thing I really hoped for was WR... would be a great little package to keep at all time rain or shine. We will have to see if that's the case as I compared to X100v spec sheet, also did not specify WR on the spec sheet. one can hope right? 

9 minutes ago, rogazilla said:

I watched the summit while no Fuji officials said it is WR, the X photographer at talking about XE-4 mentioned it is WR.  No one corrected her either. Mindy from Singapore I believe said it. Plot thickens :) If it is WR, I am pre-ordering with the new lens.

But the new 27mm is WR, interesting.

Whereas the tilt screen is nice, that is, they did a great job of incorporating it into the body, I was really hoping for WR and IBS... realizing I was one of the few wanting IBS.  Sure wish it got WR too.  I'm waffling about the non-grip/can-buy-a-grip offering.  I have big hands- I was able to make my XE-1 work with a Garziz half case (which has kept my XE-1 in great shape and improved the grip) and an after-market thumb rest.  So the Fuji grip offering is nice, but what will that do to having a half case?  Will the after-market people come through to combine the two?  I'm still leaning toward getting an XE-4 (even though it is not WR) to get that sensor but my other desires are keeping me from committing.  Will Fuji come out with a smaller GFX50R-S?  I'd consider going that route. Seems my thinking is quite contradictory but I'll sacrifice the size and price and limit my number of lenses, to get IBS , WR, and the superb huge sensor. In other words, I'm not rushing to get the XE-4.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been paying attention to how I use cameras. I usually set ISO for a given light condition and then adjust A and S as I shoot. Once the ISO is not adequate then I change that and continue. I rarely go from S to AF-C or back and forth in the same session. Given this realization, I pre-ordered XE-4. My plan is have front dial for ISO and I will either do AF mode or Film sim on the function button on top. Looking forward to getting the Camera.

I whined like a spoiled brat when I heard Fujifilm may drop the X-E line. I started this thread when Fujifilm announced they were keeping the platform, and contemplated the X-E4. Then I whined like a spoiled brat that it may be too video-centric for my taste.

But I was surprised to see they kept a stills-centric motif, and further minimalisticized (is that even a word?) it. I am reticent to criticize a camera I never had in my hands, so I reserved comment until the owner's manual came out yesterday, so I might get some sense of how I might operate it. 

I was glad to see the upgrade to the Gen 4 hardware. I'm sure action users will appreciate the improved autofocus performance. I wonder, however, if the reduction in buttons is maybe minimalizing too far. All the functions lost on the button removal are available elsewhere in menus and touch screen gestures, but I use the X-E3 buttons while my right eye is planted on to the EVF composing shots and setting exposures. I think I would need to customize Q menus to access some functions or move the camera out of shooting position to access the touch screen. It might not be so bad, just different.

I understand the sleeker exterior; to me it is reminiscent of the classic film cameras. I think users who object to the missing grip are probably younger than me, and learned to shoot with one hand on 90's or newer cameras shaped like bulbous bow freight ships. I am disappointed there is no battery charger or EF-X8 flash. I know Fujifilm was scaling back the use of external chargers, but I don't like charging across the main board, and the flash was a nice feature. The menu system is certainly robust, but given the time I spent learning the X-E3 menu system, I imagine the initial setup in the X-E4 will be an event to remember. Again, not necessarily a bad thing.

I won't rule out that I will buy one in the future, but I adore my pair of X-E3's. When Fujifilm scared the bejeezees out of me with the announcement they were dropping the line, then brought it back, I bought a second one the instant they re-appeared on the market. For this reason, I think my next Fujifilm purchases are likely to be glass. I use mostly XC lenses now, and they don't disappoint me at all. I see no difference in image quality between my XC and XF lenses, and I don't need the faster speeds of premium lenses, as I usually shoot flash at f6.4 or higher. Perhaps I just don't know good gear when I see it. But I intend to have fun finding out.

Gratitude to Fujifilm for continuing to supply the market, especially through the last year.

I've yet to read the manual but this could be finally an upgrade/companion for my x-e1. Note that for me, weight and compactness is of upmost importance because I hike multi days with my gear. I will keep the x-e1 forever because I think that sensor had the best jpegs ever though. Functionalities : the iso dial is clunky, never use it on my x100f, wheel is more convenient, or fn+dpad on x-e1, fine for me. Focus lever I only use if I put a manual m42 lens, or in very special circumstances on fuji lenses, won't be missed. The q menu I use quite a lot though, so that's something to check in the manual. The gain over x-e1 would be the tilting screen (when hiking it's not great to get dirty to take a flower for example), new film sims, great autonomy.

Personally never missed wr on my fujis they handle rain fine, and it adds cost and weight. Ymmv.

I get the complains that it looks dumbed down but I don't think it's really the case here. It's a design choice that I get, as long as there are alternatives to quick access preferred settings, it's ok. The goal is to take pictures anyway, not operate a hundred buttons. I set my iso, aperture, verify the speed is fine and shoot personally, rather than obsess over features.

Edited by citral