XH-1 in 2020

Hye Fujifilm Users,

Im planning in getting the xh-1 this year because of the price.

I just want to hear Fujifilm users opinion regarding my plan to get xh-1 as my first camera.

Is it worth it or should I get other camera instead?

Thank you.

I've owned many cameras and the X-H1 is my favourite. The real drawback as a first camera are the huge number of options you can adjust. The traditional learner's camera was simple, with just the basic adjustments. Even the simplest cameras today seem to offer video recording, a choice of automatic or manual settings for shutter speed, sensitivity, colour balance and many more options, so getting to grips with the camera and quickly moving on to taking pictures means getting guidance that keeps it simple. And that's not simple; most instructors seem to bury you in detail, proving their own mastery but not helping you get up to speed.

I love the anti-shake system, but I love taking pictures near sunset when light levels are low. I hope you know someone or can take a simple course that helps you understand the basics of exposure and the basics of getting an interesting picture. I bought mine at the end of production when they were an excellent value. If you're getting a good guarantee then it can be a great buy. With the low cost of a simple 4x6 print it isn't expensive to take a few pictures and then see what they look like on a flat piece of paper.

Get some basic instruction, take some pictures and you can be on a fun and interesting path.

I totally agree with Ben Bishop about this camera. It’s a wonderful one and price/quality is at the top. There no real cons with it for me. 
But as a first camera, it would engage you a lot to manage it correctly (and I don’t say entirely). But it’s really possible for a newbie who decides to spend some time getting to know it. ;~)

and there are some video courses very useful on the net, sometime paying, of a very good level of learning. 
Have pleasure. 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:17 AM, Ben Bishop said:

I've owned many cameras and the X-H1 is my favourite. The real drawback as a first camera are the huge number of options you can adjust. The traditional learner's camera was simple, with just the basic adjustments. Even the simplest cameras today seem to offer video recording, a choice of automatic or manual settings for shutter speed, sensitivity, colour balance and many more options, so getting to grips with the camera and quickly moving on to taking pictures means getting guidance that keeps it simple. And that's not simple; most instructors seem to bury you in detail, proving their own mastery but not helping you get up to speed.

I love the anti-shake system, but I love taking pictures near sunset when light levels are low. I hope you know someone or can take a simple course that helps you understand the basics of exposure and the basics of getting an interesting picture. I bought mine at the end of production when they were an excellent value. If you're getting a good guarantee then it can be a great buy. With the low cost of a simple 4x6 print it isn't expensive to take a few pictures and then see what they look like on a flat piece of paper.

Get some basic instruction, take some pictures and you can be on a fun and interesting path.

Thank you Ben for sharing your thoughts

I appreciated it very much

• 2 weeks later...

The X-H1 is a fantastic camera, and a piece of kit you will grow into.

Remember you don't have to adjust all of the menu settings, just the ones you require.

I was once told, find the camera you want, then buy the model up, then you won't outgrow the camera that quickly.

I originally paid 4 figures for mine, and just bought another for half that, your getting a bargain.

The current prices are very good indeed.

However, if you want to test the Fujifilm waters first, buying a second hand X-T1 is also an option. Especially when you can get one with one year dealer warranty. They are really inexpensive nowadays, and very good cameras for learning about Fujifilm (and photography).

On 4/27/2020 at 6:01 PM, Daousz said:

Hye Fujifilm Users,

Im planning in getting the xh-1 this year because of the price.

I just want to hear Fujifilm users opinion regarding my plan to get xh-1 as my first camera.

Is it worth it or should I get other camera instead?

Thank you.

Hi Daousz,

I'm not sure whether you mean that the X-H1 will be your primary camera (as in: will use it most) or your truly first camera. The X-H1 is a professional grade camera with quite some options, so I can imagine it can be a steep learning curve if it's your first camera. However, there are lots of instruction videos out there.

Besides that, the X-H1 is a great camera and my favorite workhorse. I've had an X-Pro1 and now an X-Pro2 which I love for the compactness and style of shooting. However as a workhorse the X-H1 is hard to beat. It replaced my X-T2 (and X-T1 before that) and it has some great advantages over the X-T2 (IBIS, better EVF, great shutter and bluetooth to your phone). It's generally better to grip than the X-Ts (though perhaps a bit less retro-stylish) and it has a very robust build quality. Esp. with bigger lenses like the 16-55 that can be an advantage. 

Image quality is the same as all 24mp Fuji's and in IMO there's no visible difference with the 26mp Fuji's. The main difference here is that the 26mp BSI-sensors (and processor) allow for faster AF and better eye-AF. For me there's no reason to 'upgrade' to the X-T3 or the X-T4 as I do very little video work. In fact, the X-T4 flippy screen is useless to me as it folds-out sideways.

The other option you might consider is an X-E3. Totally different and much smaller form factor, but similar image quality and somewhat easier to operate. There are some great bargains for X-E3s as well.

PS. the only issue that the X-H1 has (and the X-T2 and X-E3 far less) is that of battery live. You need to bring at least 2 but better 3 batteries for a day shooting. The IBIS makes it noticeably more power hungry

Edited by Herco
added the battery issue

I’m glad I found this thread. I just ordered a used one. I’ve tried to view as many reviews as I could find. Does anyone out there own the XPro-2/XPro-3 and the XH-1? Do they compliment each other? The XH-1 appeals to me for use with my zoom lenses. 

8 hours ago, Jazz1 said:

I’m glad I found this thread. I just ordered a used one. I’ve tried to view as many reviews as I could find. Does anyone out there own the XPro-2/XPro-3 and the XH-1? Do they compliment each other? The XH-1 appeals to me for use with my zoom lenses. 

Hi Jazz1, 

I have both the x-pro2 and the x-h1. Despite the same sensor/processor inside, these are very different cameras. Also in terms of lenses that match best. The H1 is a very universal camera in true DSLR-style. I use it mainly for studio portraits, fashion and landscape (tilting LCD on the tripod). It easily accommodates the ‘larger’ lenses like the 16-55, the 56 and the 90 and in case of landscape the fast 16 and 23. The Pro2 is much smaller and most of the lenses mentioned above feel very large on the Pro2 and they obstruct the OVF. For that camera I have the f2 primes (23, 35 and 50) as well as the 14mm. I use the Pro2 for street and travel. Of the two it’s my favourite. I’ve always loved the ‘rangefinder-style’. Even though it is sometimes limiting. In that sense they complement each other. The Pro2 invites you to a slower style of photography.

I did take a brief look at the Pro3. Technically, the main difference is the more consistent and reliable autofocus (which is the main feature of the 26Mp sensor/processor). Functionally, I have a few problems with the Pro3 compared to the Pro2. The main issue for me is the single magnification of the OVF. That makes it very hard to use the OVF with anything wider than 23mm or longer than 35mm. The Pro2 in OVF mode has a dual magnification that enables anything between 16mm and 56mm. Overall the VF of the Pro3 is better in terms of brightness, size and eyepoint (for people who wear glasses), but the magnification for me is a dealbreaker. Note that if you wear glasses, the H1 viewfinder is generally easier to view as it is bigger and brighter. Another issue for me is the hidden LCD. It’s an extra effort to go into the menus for me. I would have loved an LCD as on the X100V. The small sub screen to me is a useless gadget as there’s no backlit feature like on the H1.

Talking about the X100V, I’m tempted to switch my Pro2 for an X100V. It might actually be a better match with the H1. Even less overlap. The main issue of the H1 (apart from battery life) is portability. It’s actually even bigger than a full frame Sony A7. In that sense the X100V might be the best complementary camera to an H1...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:27 AM, Herco said:

Hi Jazz1, 

I have both the x-pro2 and the x-h1. Despite the same sensor/processor inside, these are very different cameras. Also in terms of lenses that match best. The H1 is a very universal camera in true DSLR-style. I use it mainly for studio portraits, fashion and landscape (tilting LCD on the tripod). It easily accommodates the ‘larger’ lenses like the 16-55, the 56 and the 90 and in case of landscape the fast 16 and 23. The Pro2 is much smaller and most of the lenses mentioned above feel very large on the Pro2 and they obstruct the OVF. For that camera I have the f2 primes (23, 35 and 50) as well as the 14mm. I use the Pro2 for street and travel. Of the two it’s my favourite. I’ve always loved the ‘rangefinder-style’. Even though it is sometimes limiting. In that sense they complement each other. The Pro2 invites you to a slower style of photography.

I did take a brief look at the Pro3. Technically, the main difference is the more consistent and reliable autofocus (which is the main feature of the 26Mp sensor/processor). Functionally, I have a few problems with the Pro3 compared to the Pro2. The main issue for me is the single magnification of the OVF. That makes it very hard to use the OVF with anything wider than 23mm or longer than 35mm. The Pro2 in OVF mode has a dual magnification that enables anything between 16mm and 56mm. Overall the VF of the Pro3 is better in terms of brightness, size and eyepoint (for people who wear glasses), but the magnification for me is a dealbreaker. Note that if you wear glasses, the H1 viewfinder is generally easier to view as it is bigger and brighter. Another issue for me is the hidden LCD. It’s an extra effort to go into the menus for me. I would have loved an LCD as on the X100V. The small sub screen to me is a useless gadget as there’s no backlit feature like on the H1.

Talking about the X100V, I’m tempted to switch my Pro2 for an X100V. It might actually be a better match with the H1. Even less overlap. The main issue of the H1 (apart from battery life) is portability. It’s actually even bigger than a full frame Sony A7. In that sense the X100V might be the best complementary camera to an H1...

Hey Herco, how do you find the X-H1 for landscapes, the quality output?

1 hour ago, atyl1972 said:

Hey Herco, how do you find the X-H1 for landscapes, the quality output?

The X-Trans sensors are amongst the best APS-C sensors on the market. The X-H1 is no exception. Obviously, the IQ is exactly the same as all other models with the 24Mp sensor, but IMO there’s also no visible difference with the newer 26Mp sensor. Perhaps except for marginally less noise at high ISO. Which is something to avoid in landscapes anyway... The IBIS in the X-H1 can be an advantage when not using a tripod but that’s just about the only difference with the 24Mp siblings.

Having said that, the most important factor will be the lens. Not all Fujinon’s are equal in this. For landscape I can recommend the 14/2.8, the 16/1.4(esp.), 23/1.4 and the 10-24/4. The 16/2.8, 18/2, 18-135 and the 23/2 are less ideal for landscape and architecture. They all suffer from softness and a lack of contrast in the corners and edges. Worst wide open, but also stopped down never reaching the level of the aforementioned. The Zeiss 12/2.8 is very good too. Both standard zooms (the 18-55 and the 16-55) are equally good for landscape. I have no experience with the 16-80 and the 8-16.

Another factor is post processing. I prefer Capture One for this. I think it’s superior over all other full-feature solutions I’ve tried incl. Lightroom. Esp. in landscape, you need good details without artefacts, nice contrast and pleasing greens. When using the in-camera jpeg engine, dial-down the sharpening to at least -2 if not more. Fuji tends to have a very agressive sharpening, that esp. affects landscape with small details. It can become unnatural sharp in standard settings.

I’ve tried many camera’s as a semi-pro but IMO the only way for landscape to get a better IQ is to go to medium format sensors (e.g. GFX) or to high-resolution fullframe sensors (e.g. A7RIV, Z7, SL2 or S1R) with the best possible glass for that mount. We’re talking about totally difference price points though. Moving to standard resolution fullframe sensors offers only a small improvement in IQ. In fact, a friend of me owning an EOS RP prefers my X-H1 for (urban) landscape. That’s how good the x-system cameras are. 

3 minutes ago, Herco said:

The X-Trans sensors are amongst the best APS-C sensors on the market. The X-H1 is no exception. Obviously, the IQ is exactly the same as all other models with the 24Mp sensor, but IMO there’s also no visible difference with the newer 26Mp sensor. Perhaps except for marginally less noise at high ISO. Which is something to avoid in landscapes anyway... The IBIS in the X-H1 can be an advantage when not using a tripod but that’s just about the only difference with the 24Mp siblings.

Having said that, the most important factor will be the lens. Not all Fujinon’s are equal in this. For landscape I can recommend the 14/2.8, the 16/1.4(esp.), 23/1.4 and the 10-24/4. The 16/2.8, 18/2, 18-135 and the 23/2 are less ideal for landscape and architecture. They all suffer from softness and a lack of contrast in the corners and edges. Worst wide open, but also stopped down never reaching the level of the aforementioned. The Zeiss 12/2.8 is very good too. Both standard zooms (the 18-55 and the 16-55) are equally good for landscape. I have no experience with the 16-80 and the 8-16.

Another factor is post processing. I prefer Capture One for this. I think it’s superior over all other full-feature solutions I’ve tried incl. Lightroom. Esp. in landscape, you need good details without artefacts, nice contrast and pleasing greens. When using the in-camera jpeg engine, dial-down the sharpening to at least -2 if not more. Fuji tends to have a very agressive sharpening, that esp. affects landscape with small details. It can become unnatural sharp in standard settings.

I’ve tried many camera’s as a semi-pro but IMO the only way for landscape to get a better IQ is to go to medium format sensors (e.g. GFX) or to high-resolution fullframe sensors (e.g. A7RIV, Z7, SL2 or S1R) with the best possible glass for that mount. We’re talking about totally difference price points though. Moving to standard resolution fullframe sensors offers only a small improvement in IQ. In fact, a friend of me owning an EOS RP prefers my X-H1 for (urban) landscape. That’s how good the x-system cameras are. 

I'm thinking of possibly the x-h1 due to the price which is amazing, or alternatively either the x-t3 or the x-t4, and as for lenses I would definitely opt for the 16-55, and maybe a telephoto, mind you I do like a macro shot, so maybe the 80mm too. but, I'm no pro, but I do want quality images from whatever camera I buy, I understand it's also the shooter must perform too!

29 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

I'm thinking of possibly the x-h1 due to the price which is amazing, or alternatively either the x-t3 or the x-t4, and as for lenses I would definitely opt for the 16-55, and maybe a telephoto, mind you I do like a macro shot, so maybe the 80mm too. but, I'm no pro, but I do want quality images from whatever camera I buy, I understand it's also the shooter must perform too!

I tried the X-T3 for a couple of days, but I prefer the X-H1 because of the build quality, the grip, the shutter and IBIS. The X-T4 is probably a closer call (IBIS, similar shutter and larger battery), but in terms of IQ there’s virtually no difference between the three. AF is better though on the X-T3 and esp. the X-T4. The 80 is a fantastic lens. Razor sharp and great micro contrast. It handles well on an X-H1 with it’s bigger grip. The 16-55 is pro quality and very all-round but should you have some budget left, buying a separate 16/1.4 for (urban) landscape is a great investment. It is visibly better than the 16-55 @16. By the way, a 16-55 combines very good with IBIS on the X-H1 or X-T4. For that lens IBIS is a real benefit (for me at least).

Edited by Herco

1 minute ago, Herco said:

I tried the X-T3 for a couple of days, but I prefer the X-H1 because of the build quality, the grip, the shutter and IBIS. The X-T4 is probably a closer call (IBIS and larger battery), but in terms of IQ there’s virtually no difference between the three. AF is better though on the X-T3 and esp. the X-T4. The 80 is a fantastic lens. Razor sharp and great micro contrast. It handles well on an X-H1 with it’s bigger grip. The 16-55 is pro quality and very all-round but should you have some budget left, buying a separate 16/1.4 for (urban) landscape is a great investment. It is visibly better than the 16-55 @16. By the way, a 16-55 combines very good with IBIS on the X-H1 or X-T4. For that lens IBIS is a real benefit (for me at least).

I've seen a few reviews about the 16/1.4 saying it's the best lens for sharpness on the Fuji x series, I've just got to get my head around the fact that full frame isn't always the better option, plus I am not a pro and won't print professionally, so why am I hesitating on pulling the trigger on either the x-t4 or the x-h1? is the battery even bad on the x-h1 for landscape shooting too? and one more thing, how good is the touch screen?

I just bought a X-H1 and 16-55 f2.8. I sold my previous X-H1 for a X100V in march, but 3 monthes later I change my mind and return to the X-H1 which I miss. I'm very happy with it. I don't wont a X-T4 because of the price, the obligation to change all my batteries and the grip too small for heavy lenses.

2 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

I've seen a few reviews about the 16/1.4 saying it's the best lens for sharpness on the Fuji x series, I've just got to get my head around the fact that full frame isn't always the better option, plus I am not a pro and won't print professionally, so why am I hesitating on pulling the trigger on either the x-t4 or the x-h1? is the battery even bad on the x-h1 for landscape shooting too? and one more thing, how good is the touch screen?

The battery on the X-H1 is not bad. Just a little worse than the X-T2 due to IBIS. For a day shooting you do need at least one spare though. Or use the battery grip with 2 extra batteries. I guess the X-T4 is better for battery life, but I haven’t tried it long enough to judge. Battery life is best served when you switch off wifi and bluetooth (as I do most of the time). I guess you can get 300-350 shots easily on one battery with the X-H1. The touchscreen in itself works well on the X-H1, but I’ve switched that off as well for most of the time. I’m left-eye dominant, so moving the focus point around with my nose can get annoying 😉

While we’re at it, the IBIS in the X-H1 makes a very faint sound when you’re close to the camera. It’s a fan blowing in the background. Again, barely noticeable when you’re the photographer and inaudiable for the bystanders, but it’s strange to hear for the first time. The X-T4 has a different IBIS system and is silent (at least the one I tried).

1 minute ago, Herco said:

The battery on the X-H1 is not bad. Just a little worse than the X-T2 due to IBIS. For a day shooting you do need at least one spare though. Or use the battery grip with 2 extra batteries. I guess the X-T4 is better for battery life, but I haven’t tried it long enough to judge. Battery life is best served when you switch off wifi and bluetooth (as I do most of the time). I guess you can get 300-350 shots easily on one battery with the X-H1. The touchscreen in itself works well on the X-H1, but I’ve switched that off as well for most of the time. I’m left-eye dominant, so moving the focus point around with my nose can get annoying 😉

While we’re at it, the IBIS in the X-H1 makes a very faint sound when you’re close to the camera. It’s a fan blowing in the background. Again, barely noticeable when you’re the photographer and inaudiable for the bystanders, but it’s strange to hear for the first time. The X-T4 has a different IBIS system and is silent (at least the one I tried).

Lovely thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated 👍📷

Pierre that is an interesting turn-about on your camera choices, the XH-1 vs. the X100V! Was the fixed lens of the X100V something you felt you could not live with? I now use the XH-1 and the XPro-3. I’m having trouble just taking one or the other when I head out the door ;)

1 hour ago, Jazz1 said:

Pierre that is an interesting turn-about on your camera choices, the XH-1 vs. the X100V! Was the fixed lens of the X100V something you felt you could not live with? I now use the XH-1 and the XPro-3. I’m having trouble just taking one or the other when I head out the door ;)

Indeed an interesting 360°... I recognize the struggle Jazz1. I have an X-H1 and an X-Pro2. However, I’m getting myself used to the idea of swapping my beloved X-Pro2 for an X100V. That makes it a bit more complemetary instead of overlapping. 

2 hours ago, Pierre said:

I just bought a X-H1 and 16-55 f2.8. I sold my previous X-H1 for a X100V in march, but 3 monthes later I change my mind and return to the X-H1 which I miss. I'm very happy with it. I don't wont a X-T4 because of the price, the obligation to change all my batteries and the grip too small for heavy lenses.

I recognize the reasoning why to get the X-H1 rather than the X-T4. Having multiple cameras using one battery type is a big bonus and the grip of the X-H1 is indeed much better with the larger lenses. I’ve mounted an L-plate from SmallRig as well. 

10 hours ago, Jazz1 said:

I tried to live with a single lens camera to be lighter, that is why I went to X100V. But I can't live with the 23 only (WCL and TCL are not a good solution for me). I shoot a lot of landscapes and portraits, and it is impossible in good conditions with the X100V. A lot of frustration. I tried, it's not for me, then I went back to my previous camera, the X-H1.

9 hours ago, Herco said:

I recognize the reasoning why to get the X-H1 rather than the X-T4. Having multiple cameras using one battery type is a big bonus and the grip of the X-H1 is indeed much better with the larger lenses. I’ve mounted an L-plate from SmallRig as well. 

I have mounted a plate too.

On 6/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, Pierre said:

would you not consider either a hand grip, like from smallrig or an L bracket for the small grip?

On 6/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, Herco said:

I seen a video showing the ibis sound, especially when video recording and using the in built mic, video is of no matter to me for landscapes, and I'm not going to need 300+ shots either, but this is my main concern picking up the x-h1, is the battery performance, and I am not a fan of the fully rotating screen on the x-t4, not great for landscape shooters especially when in portrait mode on a tripod, the screen will only be allowed to come out so far. however I believe there are now a few L brackets out there that resolves this issue!