ANY tips on how to shoot underexposed photos like this?

Hey guys,

I have an x pro 2 with 56mm 1.2 and 35 mm and was wondering any tips on shooting underexposed photos such as this. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the easiest way would be to switch to manual mode and just slightly underexpose the shot. Also, in an auto mode, you can use the exposure compensation dial to underexpose. Exposure for this image looks to be for light falling on the subject from the window. She just happens to be leaning in and has moved her face out of that exposure range (her shoulder looks properly exposed). If she sat upright, the let side of her face would be properly exposed. The kitchen would remain darker as the window light is "falling off."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, manual exposure or automatic and the exposure compensation dial, also using spot metering on her face as it is lighter than the background

Edited by Ish
correction

• 2 weeks later...

I guess your goal is to have the face stand out and the background 'disappear' in the shadows. Spot metering can be tricky since it very much depends on where you aim. There are great differences in luminosity in the face. If you need perfect exposure there are two options:  (1) meter on a grey card near the face and fix that reading in manual mode or (2) use a separate light meter for ambient light reading near the face. Both options are a bit cumbersome though. The multi-metering mode of Fuji is quite good and will take the focus point into account. So when you focus on the face and expose, it will know that is the main subject. However, to get the darker shadows, you may want to correct 2/3rds or 1 stop with the exposure compensation. In general make sure you don't overexpose on the left side of the face or on the shoulder, since in post processing it's easier to correct a slightly darker image than an overexposed one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, Ish said:

Yes, manual exposure or automatic and the exposure compensation dial, also using spot metering on her face as it is lighter than the background

On 7/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, fotoroger said:

The exposure compansation dail don't work in manual mode, only in automatic mode.

It does look wrong now I read it again. I should have put an extra comma in there. It should have read 

Yes, manual exposure, or automatic exposure with the exposure compensation dial, also using spot metering on her face as it's lighter than the background.

The trick is to underexpose the shot ~_^

Seriously, if you want the camera to take pictures as you want them, not as the camera thinks they should be taken, then you'd better learn about its settings and how they affect photo shooting basics. For exposure that would be the dials to set aperture size, iso, and shutter speed.

Edited by Florian
typos