Sign in to follow this  
epscott

Size comparison between X-T4 and Sony A7r IV

@epscott looking at the size difference between the (photo oriented) X-T1 and the (video) X-T4 shows exactly why Fujifilm is going wrong by giving in to the video generation. The X-T4 is not only a lot bulkier, but also a lot heavier.

Plus, the development effort spent on creating video features cannot be spent on making the best photo camera available.

Fujifilm should not cripple their photo cameras with video futures, but should create a different line for video cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/2/2020 at 6:43 AM, johant said:

@epscott looking at the size difference between the (photo oriented) X-T1 and the (video) X-T4 shows exactly why Fujifilm is going wrong by giving in to the video generation. The X-T4 is not only a lot bulkier, but also a lot heavier.

Plus, the development effort spent on creating video features cannot be spent on making the best photo camera available.

Fujifilm should not cripple their photo cameras with video futures, but should create a different line for video cameras.

I do not believe that it is the video features that caused the increase in size and weight. It is the added IBIS.

I agree with Johant. Video IMHO SUCKS.  I still own the X-T1 and instead of buying an XPro 1, 2 or three I just slap my 27mm 2.8 on the X-T1 and go to town with it as my everyday carry camera.  The X-T2, X-H1 and the MF gear stays pretty much at home. Since changing to Fuji in 2012 I can count on ONE hand, Ok, maybe two, the number of times I've used video.  Heck, I don't shoot video with my iPhone, or my drones either.  I can't stand it.

I also do not think the size increase is due to just the video capabilities.  

On 6/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, SrMi said:

I do not believe that it is the video features that caused the increase in size and weight. It is the added IBIS.

IBIS is part of it, but video requires heavier cooling of the sensor and has been a big aspect of the size & weight increase of each X-T generation since the X-T2. 

As to practical size of cameras, it really depends on the ergonomic style. The X-T bodies make out well because of their old-fashioned ergonomics, but traditional DSLR ergonomics really do require a larger body to work well. The Nikon Z6/Z7 and the Panasonic S1 variants are by far the best handling bodies of that style out there, the Sony's and Olympus E-M1's tend to feel cramped in comparison (especially the Sony's, who still don't have enough grip clearance even on the A7RIV). Since it's grip clearance that's the main handling issue with smaller DSLR-style bodies, the same doesn't apply to the X-T's because the grip style avoids the clearance issue.