Worms and Topaz De-Noise

I have good results removing worms with Topaz De-Noise on auto settings. I am shooting RAF from a XT-30 in LR Classic 9.2. I have a couple of questions

1. Why do I get artefacts in about half my RAF files only?

2. If it is a RAF processing issue, why do I see it in jpegs too?

3. Has anybody else tried the Topaz De-Noise editing.

Finally, I have no connection whatsoever with Topaz

thanks

• 3 months later...

I know of a X-Trans worm effect that may be what you're referring to.  Maybe 5 pixels long, with a L at the end, and hundreds of them.  I usually see it at 50% zoom, and always at 100% zoom, more noticeable at high sensitivity.  In my experience X-Trans produces more natural looking lines [than Bayer] at 25% zoom and less (and seems to do better at geometric designs, e.g.: tiny b&w lines), but Bayer seems to do better cropped in to 100% zoom (and at natural curves).  Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but handling them is very raw software dependent.  As for Topaz's software, I haven't used it.  Maybe you could attach some small screenshots or samples of what you're experiencing, and then someone will be able to answer?

attached an example off google (from dpreview's forums) about x-trans vs bayer.  two nearly identical cameras, but the clearer one on the right is x-trans.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 7:46 PM, Anteric said:

I have good results removing worms with Topaz De-Noise on auto settings. I am shooting RAF from a XT-30 in LR Classic 9.2. I have a couple of questions

1. Why do I get artefacts in about half my RAF files only?

2. If it is a RAF processing issue, why do I see it in jpegs too?

3. Has anybody else tried the Topaz De-Noise editing.

Finally, I have no connection whatsoever with Topaz

thanks

actually it's simply because adobe still doesn't implement the de-mosaicing algorithm for fujifilm's x-trans filter .capture one ,luminar etc. has implemented it , so is topaz ,so that's why topaz software's able to provide a good image output from fujifilm x-trans sensor camera's . that's the reason why the output from all adobe software's not good for fujifilm x-trans sensor camera raw files .x-trans filter array is new and the advantages is you get sharper images , the next advantage is that the grains at higher iso from camera is similar to film camera's rather than digital camera grains . so if adobe decide to implement the de-mosaicing algorithm ,you'll no longer get any worms ,until then you can try another method , open up the raw file in capture one or luminar or topaz products ,and then convert it into DNG or TIFF , then you can work with it in adobe software's without seeing any worm effects . i hope this helped . have a nice day !

• 2 weeks later...

It actually does. To avoid re-writing the all system and keep retro compatibility, they manage X-trans sensors through the "Enhance details" function, for RAW pictures. You have to enable that (it will create a new .dng image) and reduce Sharpening to zero to see the worms disappear and finally have a great starting point for your editing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 12:59 PM, lamacchiacosta said:

It actually does. To avoid re-writing the all system and keep retro compatibility, they manage X-trans sensors through the "Enhance details" function, for RAW pictures. You have to enable that (it will create a new .dng image) and reduce Sharpening to zero to see the worms disappear and finally have a great starting point for your editing.

enhance detail is only a workaround  ,if c1 , luminar , topaz ,darkroom etc , can do it without any extra steps ,adobe could if they wanted . they simply aren't doing it ,many users found out that reducing sharpness while importing to lightroom fix the issue , so if adobe wanted they can fix this pretty easily . have a nice day ahead !