XT-3 lens mount cap stuck

Ty Allen

Hello. The lens mount cap on the body of my XT-3 will not come off. It turns slightly counter clockwise as usual and separates slightly from the mount base as it turns, but will not release. I have turned off/on and tried using lens release button with no luck. Please help. Thanks! 

Advice comes with the danger of scratching or otherwise harming your equipment.

that said, sounds like the cap is cross threaded.

how to remove? With computers (so not to damage computers) folks use a Spudger. It’s basically a mini crowbar but made of a softer material like plastic. The auto industry also uses smaller crowbars made of a softer material (plastic) for removing headliners or fabric/plastic, (search auto headliner removal tool) for examples.

if it were me and I didn’t have these tools.

pushing the lens release button should have no effect as I’ve never seen a camera body lens cover/cap on a camera system that locks (maybe there is a very high end medium or large format camera that does, that’s out of my realm) 

I’d cover the camera with a camera cleaning cloth. I’d then push the fabric to that small gap you mentioned by using a credit card or something plastic, thin but firm to get under the cap and carefully pry. If it didn’t come off I’d try again but move the card around the cap as I pried. 

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Robr
Help

Thank you for your advice. I was able to slide a credit card into the slight gap between the lens mount and the cap, I kept forcing it around the edge of the mount as I put pressure on the cap to turn. It finally popped off. A tab on the inside of the cap had broken off at some point and I'm guessing that was preventing it from releasing properly. I appreciate your help!