XT-20 Firmware Update - Willing to Pay

Message to Fujifilm:  With the collapse of the stock market and shutdown of our economy, it is extremely unlikely I will be buying a new Fujifilm camera this year, e.g. the XT-4.  But I would be very glad to pay $79 U.S. for a firmware update to my XT-20 that significantly improves autofocus performance, especially in lower light situations such as indoor soccer games, or outdoor soccer games near sundown.  I suspect I am not the only person in this situation.  I suspect you would like to see more revenue in 2020 and this is an opportunity.  If your software developers need to work from home, doing firmware updates would be a possibility for you too.  This could be a win-win.  Please consider it.  I love my XT-20 and use it almost exclusively instead of my Sony 6300, which is now my backup camera.  My lens all have image stabiliazation, so IBIS is not a major thing I am looking for at this time, another eason I prefer an update to my XT-20 even at a reasonable fee.

Edited by John Bustard
Thought Title was supposed to be my name and it is the topic title.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Just a thought - - what lens are you using? 

Can you provide a photo sample or a few where this is an issue? Might suggest a new post for this.

I am actually considering purchasing a Fuji (and the XT20!) but I know from my own experience, that sometimes info received on the photography forums has been very helpful at  troubleshooting and providing a solution for you.

All the best!

I use the 55-200 for sports.  My granddaughter plays indoor soccer which is known for low light and I have way too many of the photos that are difficult to get autofocus correct on.  I am not going to use manual focus -action is too quick.  I cannot use the f2.8 lens since the price is too high plus in soccer one moment the action is at the other end of the field and next is is close to you, so need at least the range of 55 -200.

When I am outside in sunshine I get great photos with the 55 - 200.  But if the soccer game starts at 7:00 pm in the summer and ends at 8:30 pm, any photos after about 8 pm are mostly worthless - again the autofocus is too slow and the result ends up not sharp re focus.  

In both cases I have already cranked up the ISO.  My experience with the XT20 is that I am ok to ISO 3200, but ISO 6400 gets quite grainy.  For the 55-200 I try to take the photos at at least 1/300 of a second.  But the camera wants to drop lower than that since it max out the allowable ISO (3200), can't use a lower f-stop since it is already as low as allowed, and then results in taking photos less than 1/300.

I have already tried taking the soccer photos with the 18-55 at f/2.8 without zooming, but for too many situations the players are too far away, and even there at an indoor soccer game, if the players are close enough the auto focus is not fast enough even with ISO at 3200, fstop at f2.8.

Re the XT-20, other than the low light autofocus, I love the camera.  I have the XT-20 and a Sony 6300.  I now take almost all of my photos with the XT-20 - it is a much better camera to use then the Sony 6300.

If you want to see any photos, go to https://grandpajohnblog.wordpress.com.  Almost all of the photo story photos were taken with the XT-20, with either the 18-55 f2.8-4 or the 55-200 f3.5-4.8.  For closeups I have also used the Fujifilm extension tube primarily on the 18-55.  Of course in my blog posts I don't include the photos that did not work in low light situations, and instead deleted them.

• 1 month later...

You dont need a software update for tethering the X-t20.  Just buy a toshiba flashair w-04 and you can sync the photos directly from SDcard to a folder on your PC.  Then use lightroom / capture one to auto acquire new photos.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be fixed in software. It's a limitation of the autofocus sensors on the sensor of the XT-20 (I have the X-T2 and know what you mean). They're just not enough of them, and they're not sensitive enough to work well in the kind of low light situation you're describing when the lens is at F3.5-4.8. 

So there are two ways to go:

1) Faster lens. The 50-140 F2.8 will give you 0.5 to 2.5 extra stops of light. It's much more expensive than the 55-200 though. And that might not be enough given the small number of AF points on the X-T20 sensor.

2) Upgrade to the X-T3/X-T30. Now the X-T4 is out I expect there will be more affordable used X-T3s for sale. The X-T3(0) has 4x the number of autofocus pixels and a processor that is 4x faster, and together these result in much better AF performance.

Hello,

I'm a one year user of a Fuji X-T20. 

Bought it for our honeymoon and since then i use it almost daily, mainly for timelapses though and some amateur long exposures, as i am not very good at finding the right angles.

Anyway, i'd like to request the update too, however i'd more likely see a better mobile app that might be extended also on PC.

Since there is a way to control the camera through an app, why is it not possible to do through a PC?

Kind Regards,

Try to stay safe and be positive.

Pawel.