X-T30 Video Overheating Solutions

I shoot on an X-T30 and have agreed to shoot video for a family member's wedding to help them save some money. However, I don't want to provide a "cheap" result and most definitely don't want to miss important moments.

I have been doing some test runs of video and notice that I often even fail to hit the 10 min cap of shooting 4k. Let alone stopping and restarting multiple recordings sequentially. I have looked into external recorder options like the Atomos Ninja but even the tests I run using the camera for live streams I have to have a fan blowing on it constantly for it to survive any length. Not really an option for shooting the wedding.

Has anyone found any success with video and minimizing the overheating problem with these? Any tips/remedies short of buying a new body?

Thanks!

Lance

I’ve shot years of wedding solo and your friends ask is a tough one as shooting is only a quarter of the challenge. That aside. I just did my first video with the x-t3 and focus was a challenge and the stupid stopped recording in 4K. At least it counts down on the screen to give you a heads up on when it will quit recording (so you can try to get critical vows and such...or an external recorder talked below)

ok, the overheating issue. An external recorder is the way to go. It should give you 4:2:2 10 bit 4K and no limit on recording time (completely test this as I have xt3 not xt30 experience) the external recorder needs to have a monitor as part of its package. (My past experience w/ a Canon 5D mark III) it was the back LCD that caused the heating issue so switch to the eye viewer and test to confirm it won’t overheat anymore.

on other stuff. Work on video focusing a ton and review footage on a large monitor. HD isn’t forgiving and 4K is even less forgiving. Use one lens and get as familiar as possible using it with video. Dreaming of what’s possible (different lenses, etc) vs the reality of only have one chance at getting it right will put a lot of stress on you. Switching gear in the middle of all this will add stress. (Where do you store the other gear, What pocket is it in, how/when to switch back, where’s that lens cap, did switching introduce dust, a hair, finger print or a little fuzzy thing that will be on all your footage now) 

Sound: shotgun mic like Rodes with fake fur (deadcat) windscreen on camera as it will isolate most unwanted camera and all your breathing noise (you’ll be huffing/puffing at sometime). Small recorder with small lavalier mic for groom. Recorder goes in jacket breast pocket. Turn on at least 10min. before ceremony and put tape over on/off switch (if groom goes to bathroom ya don’t want him messing with recorder because he’s under stress too and may/will forget to turn it back on)

hope I didn’t overstep your ask too much.

just want to help you and your family.

good luck!

• 11 months later...

I got the same issue when tried x-t30 as webcam in z**m meting, After 25 mins my monitor screen is out, i checked the camera there's warning icon in yellow for overheating.

Anyone have idea to have a longer time for z**m meeting using x-t30 as webcam ??

Thank you 

On 3/25/2020 at 8:49 AM, lancimusprime said:

I shoot on an X-T30 and have agreed to shoot video for a family member's wedding to help them save some money. However, I don't want to provide a "cheap" result and most definitely don't want to miss important moments.

I have been doing some test runs of video and notice that I often even fail to hit the 10 min cap of shooting 4k. Let alone stopping and restarting multiple recordings sequentially. I have looked into external recorder options like the Atomos Ninja but even the tests I run using the camera for live streams I have to have a fan blowing on it constantly for it to survive any length. Not really an option for shooting the wedding.

Has anyone found any success with video and minimizing the overheating problem with these? Any tips/remedies short of buying a new body?

Thanks!

Lance

i saw a guy using two raspberry pi fan , which has very less noise , placed in the gap between screen and body to cool the camera ! . you'll have to keep screen lifted from the body , but anyway while recording you'll do it often for viewing purpose !. i think that guy's method will buy you some extra recording time ,or quicker cooling time between recordings . also you can combine this with small cpu cooling techniques , like copper heatsink (tiny version usually used on raspberry pi ). or small water cooling block (you can see those in diy videos and can buy it from amazon etc) combination of these according to your creativity and use of external  monitor together can let you take video for quite a long time in a single go ! . i hope this helps . have a nice day ahead to you !

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Nicky said:

I've shot loads of wedding on my XT30 and never come close to the 10 minute limit. Decide on the video shots you NEED, nail them. Get the sound on a separate audio recorder, you probably need a gimbal.

Dear friend , this post was about how to shoot continuously for a long time or to shoot repeatedly without much time between each shot to cooldown . i understand that you're able to shoot less than 10 minute and cover the whole event , but not everyone is skilled as you ,most need to shoot excess and later cut out the unwanted scenes , so they want ways to record as long as possible continuously, if possible without record time limits , so if you have any suggestions , please share , even the ways to plan the shot's , . have a nice day ! 

On 3/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, K PRETHVIRAJ said:

Dear friend , this post was about how to shoot continuously for a long time or to shoot repeatedly without much time between each shot to cooldown . i understand that you're able to shoot less than 10 minute and cover the whole event , but not everyone is skilled as you ,most need to shoot excess and later cut out the unwanted scenes , so they want ways to record as long as possible continuously, if possible without record time limits , so if you have any suggestions , please share , even the ways to plan the shot's , . have a nice day ! 

The OP is wanting to shoot a wedding, I was offering a simple, cheap, solution to the overheating problem.

Edited by Nicky

13 minutes ago, Nicky said:

The OP is wanting to shoot a wedding, I was offering a simple, cheap, solution to the overheating problem.

dear friend , it was a year ago ,he asked for suggestion's .so now this topic's relevance is only to share solutions to shoot extended periods or to cooldown very quickly . also have you noticed that he already mentioned about stopping and shooting etc.. and he was specifically mentioning that he was looking for a solution to overheating ,rather than how to plan shots . anyway ,i am sorry if you find my previous reply against your opinion . but if you notice , i requested you to share your knowledge too and never opposed your opinion . stay happy always . have a nice day !

19 minutes ago, K PRETHVIRAJ said:

dear friend , it was a year ago ,he asked for suggestion's .so now this topic's relevance is only to share solutions to shoot extended periods or to cooldown very quickly . also have you noticed that he already mentioned about stopping and shooting etc.. and he was specifically mentioning that he was looking for a solution to overheating ,rather than how to plan shots . anyway ,i am sorry if you find my previous reply against your opinion . but if you notice , i requested you to share your knowledge too and never opposed your opinion . stay happy always . have a nice day !

The reason I posted is because I see the 10 minutes limit posted many times and in many reviews as a reason not to buy an XT30, but in reality a 10 minute shot in video terms is an eternity and is absolutely not a reason to avoid the XT30. In the vast majority of cases there is utterly no reason to shoot continuously and most people will get a better result from "running and gunning". However, no more posts on this subject. If you really want to discuss long recordings, please go ahead.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:19 AM, Nicky said:

The reason I posted is because I see the 10 minutes limit posted many times and in many reviews as a reason not to buy an XT30, but in reality a 10 minute shot in video terms is an eternity and is absolutely not a reason to avoid the XT30. In the vast majority of cases there is utterly no reason to shoot continuously and most people will get a better result from "running and gunning". However, no more posts on this subject. If you really want to discuss long recordings, please go ahead.

actually most cameras in this class can only do the same time limit with 4k dci .but doesn't mean the shooting time can't be extended . people who used to have sony a6xxx series do that a lot , you can see lot of diy cooling option to extent the shooting time . same way when connected to a external monitor ,fujifilm xt-30 recording time restrictions are removed ,so as long as you can keep the camera cool you can keep shooting continuously. so discussing and sharing ways to prevent overheating can be extremely helpful for many who like to shoot for longer periods continuously ,without using a different camera for that purpose , when fujifilm xt 30 has 4k dci down sampled from 6k in f-log. the people who vlog or has to use the camera as a webcam for more time, that sort of people mainly . anyway thanks for sharing your opinions. and don't worry about the reviews ,there is only a few cameras which is small as this and has many features inside. have a nice day ahead !.

Edited by YOUTA

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Are you still having overheat issues with the new firmware? What SD Cards are you using? I read that the SD Card has to be big and fast to save heat/ battery.

I am just now testing with new firmware and XC 15-45 with fast and cheap 30$ Samsung 256 GB adapted microSD in my now 19 Degree Celsius Place. There is no issue to get to 10min SD Card recording @ 4k with warm body and HDMI, Both Wireless, Screen everthing ON.

Is maybe the new Firmware the solution? The SD Card? Havent tried yet prolonged as HDMI Source.

12 hours ago, thomaseh said:

Hi.

Are you still having overheat issues with the new firmware? What SD Cards are you using? I read that the SD Card has to be big and fast to save heat/ battery.

I am just now testing with new firmware and XC 15-45 with fast and cheap 30$ Samsung 256 GB adapted microSD in my now 19 Degree Celsius Place. There is no issue to get to 10min SD Card recording @ 4k with warm body and HDMI, Both Wireless, Screen everthing ON.

Is maybe the new Firmware the solution? The SD Card? Havent tried yet prolonged as HDMI Source.

10 minute limit is achievable easily for anyone . they were talking about longer recording , back to back recording . so it needs time to cool after 10 minutes ! otherwise the next recording won't reach 10 minute. using dummy battery and faster card's help , but only up to the second continuous recording of 10 minutes max. so a cooling system would fix this and allow for back to back continuous recording , by maintaining the temperature in a optimal range , so there is no need to wait for it cool in between the recordings !. so diy cooling ideas or external monitor is the solution , even when using external monitor too , diy cooling ideas would be beneficial !.  there is no overheating issue with the camera , there was never that kind of issue like canon r5 had with the firmware . the topic is solely based on how to make the camera shoot back to back continuously for a prolonged period without waiting for it to cooldown between the 10 minute recordings at 4k !. since the beginning itself ,when camera is at optimal temperature it always record the 10 minute limit , so there was no firmware issue or a overheating issue with the camera !. i hope this helps ! . have a nice day ahead !

I got the same issue when tried x-t30 as webcam in z**m meting, After 25 mins my monitor screen is out, i checked the camera there's warning icon in yellow for overheating.

Anyone have idea to have a longer time for z**m meeting using x-t30 as webcam ??

I had the same issue - I was running it in video mode with the HDMI out to an Elgato Cam Link 4K into my Mac. I wasn't even recording but after 40 minutes I got a heat warning and it shut off.

Solution: I bought a small USB fan and aimed it at the back of the camera with the screen extended out to help cool it. I was able to run it for 2 hours with no problem. I stopped after that so I'm not sure how long it could go but it was cool to the touch. I was using one of those AC power adapters for continuous power.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 hours ago, Sean Tubridy said:

I had the same issue - I was running it in video mode with the HDMI out to an Elgato Cam Link 4K into my Mac. I wasn't even recording but after 40 minutes I got a heat warning and it shut off.

Solution: I bought a small USB fan and aimed it at the back of the camera with the screen extended out to help cool it. I was able to run it for 2 hours with no problem. I stopped after that so I'm not sure how long it could go but it was cool to the touch. I was using one of those AC power adapters for continuous power.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good to know about your diy solution !. thanks for sharing ! . hope to see more like this ! . have a nice day !

• 5 months later...