X-T3 movie metadata revealed on Apple OS? How?

Robr

I’ve only been able to find one source to show the EXIF X-T3 metadata for movies. It requires Apples Terminal app use and knowledge/skillset for using it. The documentation isn’t for someone who doesn’t know the complexity of writing Terminal code correctly. 

any help help, ideas or workarounds... ok their is buying the x-t4 but....

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, jerryy said:

ExifTool is not that difficult is it? :) 

Try looking on the App Store for the app called Invisor or search using the tags:   exif mov

You probably will be able to find something that does not cost you lots of money. If you are unable to find something, drop me a note, I may be able to help you.

I’ll explode, thanks for the help!

Issue resolved!

thank you 

Jerryy, Greybeard and Iamacchiacosta!

fastest easiest metadata finder for MOVIE’s fStop, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, lens used, camera used and even film mode IE: Eterna or other...etc

It is :

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

what I didn’t know previously was how to use it and how easy it is to use.

quick guide incase someone runs across this thread....

Search and download (MacOS Package)

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

From his website: exiftool.org

install the app, then open the Terminal app that’s located in the tools folder inside the applications folder. Once Terminal is open just type the word   exiftool   then add a space by hitting the space bar then drag the X-T3 movie file (make sure it’s the original file because I found Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8 reformatted the original file and lost metadata information when I took the “original” file out of FCPX to use) file into Terminal then hit the return bar the results will then appear in Terminal.

This is a huge help as I can now go back to a job for some pickup shots and I’ll have all the settings I originally used so I can easily match the look.

Edited by Robr
Clarity

Your first read was correct, I was looking for film/movie metadata info.

Every program covers stills but movies are neglected for information like fStop. SS, ISO, etc..

when Final Cut X converts it to ProRes it doesn’t bring that metadata info along. At least Fuji is addressing the issue with the X-T4.

"when Final Cut X converts it to ProRes it doesn’t bring that metadata info along"

This happens a lot even in the 'stills' processing apps. Or they will only transfer a few of the exif tags, with each processing level leaving fewer and fewer of the tags with the passed on image. Keep the originals around Justin Case.

Keep the originals around Justin Case.”

Yes well said, it’s great advice.

Drives are so inexpensive now I do a double backup of everything off the card w/Carbon Copy Cloner instead of Mac’s copy n paste. Copy paste hasn’t been an issue but...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for this! Just one question to add, is there anyway to see your white balance? All I see is that I had it set to kelvin. I have 2 shots I'm trying to match and just cannot get it where I want it. Knowing the WB each was shot at would be a super helpful starting point. 

12 hours ago, Joshem888 said:

Thanks for this! Just one question to add, is there anyway to see your white balance? All I see is that I had it set to kelvin. I have 2 shots I'm trying to match and just cannot get it where I want it. Knowing the WB each was shot at would be a super helpful starting point. 

Do you mean for stills? The value you set is stored in the metadata.

You could use this link or download Exiftool and run it from the command line

Fujifilm X Series Metadata

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, trashcaneron said:

@Joshem888 is correct, when you shoot VIDEO and use the EXIFTOOLm, you only get the type of white balance you used, not the actual K value. 

Did you look in the colortemperature tag?

@Greybeard has mentioned this here:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=10890.0

(I do not know if @Greybeard is online or will be soon or not, but he does look into these things.)

For reference purposes:

https://exiftool.org/TagNames/FujiFilm.html

15 hours ago, jerryy said:

Did you look in the colortemperature tag?

@Greybeard has mentioned this here:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=10890.0

(I do not know if @Greybeard is online or will be soon or not, but he does look into these things.)

For reference purposes:

https://exiftool.org/TagNames/FujiFilm.html

I don't look as closely at movie metadata as stills - but from what I've seen there is less information stored - I've done some tests with my X-T3 and I can see the White Balance (i.e. Auto, Kevin etc) but not  specific Color Temperature.

I don't have the X-T4 but I'd be willing to test if someone can send me a (small) X-T4 movie sample with Kelvin selected for White Balance and a specific value chosen.