Longer term shooting experience with the XT3 and XT30

Annie

Hi!

I am considering upgrading my camera (currently own the Canon Rebel SL1) and the X-T3 / X-T30 are two of my top choices right now. I am a landscape/travel photographer aiming to be more "professional" in my photography.  I have only used DSLR for 4 years and have much yet to learn creatively. 

I just love the detail and sharpness I get from these cameras (using the 18 - 55 F32.8-4 lens) at least through quick demos. That said, I did encounter a few issues in demo'ing (separate thread) but those issues appear to be settings issues.

I have read online of issues with the camera, but realize this may be atypical or due to user settings/inexperience with the camera, etc.

If you have owned one of these cameras for awhile, how has your shooting experience been?

Have you enjoyed shooting with the camera?

Encountered recurring issues with the camera, resolved or not through firmware updates or settings changes?

Would you recommend your camera to someone else or buy it again if you had a choice? If not, why not?

Thank you so much and all the best!

Annie

I have been using a X-T30 for a while now, I really like it. If I had to replace it today, with a new body, I would get it again. Being tempted by the new X-T4 and its additional features would be there in my mind yes, but I manage to get enough foul weather photography fun by using basic protection for my camera. I would think again about that, if I had to routinely get photos in typhoon settings :).

The only recurring issue I have had is making sure I do not accidentally change the EC dial setting, it does not lock.

I had a one time issue with an adaptor that allowed me to use a different company's long lens on this body. I had to stop, pull the battery, put the battery back in and then everything worked as it should. I never had that issue again in outings with that setup. Also, the adaptor has since had a firmware update and so I hope that does not glitch again.

Glitches ruin the fun, but I have had so very few using the X-T30, that it is easy for me to stop and ignore the problem of N=1 bias* and recommend it.

* N=1 bias means you do not have enough samples to make significant conclusions, your sample may be exceptionally good or bad, thus generalizing from that is bad juju.

Edited by jerryy

I’ve had Sony, Panasonic and Canon and prefer Fuji. With my past Canon 5D mark III my wife refused to shoot with it because of the complexities. 

Fuji isn’t as popular (or should I say: as widely discussed) as some other manufacturers. DXOMARK Still doesn’t have any information on the quality of Fuji lenses and if you study their results many manufacturers seem to have a lot of good and slightly better then good lenses and in reading lensrentals great blog, they’ve done articles on how Lens quality can differ on the same lens, copy to copy, so a serious shooter might have to experience multiple copies of the same lens to find one that was manufactured correctly.

with that, I personally think Fuji manufacturers a more quality lens then most manufacturers. My wife likes the X-T3 so much that we both have one.

I love the image the camera produces. 

I love that I can customize the menus so much but I do find diving deep into the menus is confusing and frustrating because there are so many options and preferences in the deeper sub menus that I forget how to get to.

I find the LCD finger flick menu more of an issue then a helper. And some items marked for a quick access button don’t work and Fuji doesn’t give you a warning.

The 18-55mm Fuji kit lens you mentioned surpasses most everyone’s kit lens. 

I’ve found fuji’s 80mm 2.8 macro to be an awesomely crisp image lens.

I rented the 8-16mm f2.8 for a week long trip to Arizona’s Grand Canyon and that’s all I shot with. It is drop dead the most excellent lens I’ve ever used.. now I’m just waiting for a sale before I buy it.

Hope that helps some... 

Thank you Rob and Jerry!

I really appreciate your time and feedback! 

Yes, the T-4 with weather sealing tempts too (not sure if I have enough pennies in my piggy bank for it ;) )

I hope you can add that 8 - 16 to your bag!

All the best,
Annie

In the past I had Canon and Nikon, tried Lumix too. I bought a X-T20 (only the body) as a present to my parter a while ago, and when tested with the Nikon vintage lenses she has, we found it incredibly good and I bought one for me too. For her it's a slow learning curve, I am a bit quicker to learn all the nuances. Image quality is incredible compared to other brands and all the information are there even if by mistake you shoot way underexposed. 
We shot in every conditions and never had issues with it.
I then bought a 16-55, 2.8 and she bought a 18-55, 2.8-4. They are both excellent lenses and choosing between them is not a matter of image quality, but what you are going to shoot. 
If you are shooting street and travel photography you want to be smaller and stealth as possible. If you are shooting beauty shots and don't want any compromise you got that option too.
Through adapters you can then shoot macro and use vintage lenses with no problems.
Because I am filming a documentary I needed to buy a camera compatible with the Ronin S gimbal, and got myself a X-T3, which is a slightly more complex camera, so now I am trying to sell my X-T20.
I really like the vintage look of the Fujifilm even if I don't like the ergonomics.
Battery life is very good and I got two extra non branded batteries for those long days travelling, just in case.

Fujifilm assistance is great.

You could go to a shop with a SD card and test the cameras to see how they are for you.
Check also in the second hand market, you can get very good deals with the X-T20, X-T2, and decent deals with X-T3, while X-T30 don't seem quite that spread yet.