epscott

Are you going to leave Fuji because of IBIS and Flippy screens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back on March 23 2017, I made a post requesting IBIS, high spec video, and fully articulated touch screens. I was treated as if I was a trolling Leper. So I'm back to gloat and I'm here now because all of you naysayers were wrong. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Every single one of you that rode my ass and tried to assassinate my  character for simply asking for these features should be ashamed of yourselves. So how many of you that said you'd sell all your gear because of IBIS, flippy screens, and great video capabilities have actually followed through and done so?  

1 hour ago, Lumens said:

I'll tell you what.  I DO NOT LIKE THE DIRECTION OF FUJI AT THE MOMENT.  If you want video, buy a camcorder, period!!

The video features of any camera have absolutely no bearing on stills photography. None. Nothing. Ever. So having video in Fuji cameras hasn’t hurt you as a stills only photographer. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/27/2020 at 7:17 AM, epscott said:

The video features of any camera have absolutely no bearing on stills photography. None. Nothing. Ever. So having video in Fuji cameras hasn’t hurt you as a stills only photographer. 

Wrong,  The flippy screen destroys the ease of use enjoyed with  the articulating screen of the XT-3 - just for starts.  I'm afraid my next upgrade won't happen until Fuji starts making cameras again instead of camcorders.  Just my opinion, but I believe there are plenty others out there that agree with me.

If you don't want video don't use it.

Personally I was looking forward to the xt4, smaller than the xh1 and with IBIS. BUt now that the metering switch has been lost, along with the new screen, I don't think I will bother.

And as for you two above, isn't the point of forums to have debate, not character assassination

I think that they are shifting from having new ideas and creating a demographic to analyzing what the general public wants, and giving them that, which is a shame. I got into the Fuji system because of the market they created, the unique photography experience and beautiful, original gear. I think that they created a fantastic type of demographic, and adding these mainstream demands sort of waters down that lovely group to an image of the general public. Still, rather an X-T4 than the new mirrorless offerings by other brands.

3 hours ago, RobinG said:

Still, rather an X-T4 than the new mirrorless offerings by other brands.

This I must agree.  I just hope it stays that way.  I have my concerns competition is going to lead Fuji in the direction of becoming one of them rather than the company they have been in the past.

a coupleOn 3/1/2020 at 8:29 PM, Lumens said:

Wrong,  The flippy screen destroys the ease of use enjoyed with  the articulating screen of the XT-3 - just for starts.  I'm afraid my next upgrade won't happen until Fuji starts making cameras again instead of camcorders.  Just my opinion, but I believe there are plenty others out there that agree with me.

Quite, absolutely, stonking right....the screen tilting on a Xt2/3 is perfect.  Pampering to vblog and video is what they are doing.

There will be plenty of XT2 and 3 around at bargian pices soon, and s/h also....buy a one as a spare, two if you are flush...elongevity.
Future proof your self.  Any stills features of the XT4 will not be any better (except battery), so the answer is simple....enjoy the XT2/3 for a long time.  I certainly will.

by the way.....anyone know how I can log into the forum with my recognised (unrecognised as it seems) member details....or get an administrator to contact me.  Apparently log in doesn't recognise my email address... !

I’m sure I won’t gather friends for this...

While I’m new (1.5yrs) to Fuji (X-T3), I’ve done both video professionally and photography for decades. I now shoot almost all stills but having stellar video in the same camera is like having a phone that can search the internet well. With that, I have mixed feelings about the X-T4’s offerings and think less of Fuji for their lack of planning before releasing it. Floppy doors, missing direct headphone jack, side articulated screen are unworthy of a flagship model from a manufacturer with such a high level of excellence. Some of what it offers are things that should be standard like easily accessible video metadata for shutter, fstop, iso and white balance etc.. , a more normal sized handgrip and separate memory settings for stills/video. I’m intrigued but I think I’ll hold off until (in my view) their integrity returns to a flagship being a flagship and not a buzz word like the other manufacturer I walked away from do.

The view of “buy a camcorder” for video? Canon unintentionally started the move away from camcorders with the release of the 5D mark II in 2008. Like tv antennas, darkrooms and Tab soda they’re not very relevant today. 

ABSOLUTELY NOT. I am awaiting the X-T4 with baited breath and will have it the 1st day it is in the shop!

I am totally bewildered why stills photographers have to be so vocally ANTI video features. Why can't people just use what they want and ignore what they don't. I specifically bought and own Fuji X kit, to shoot video, AND stills, but don't complain about non video features.

For me the IBIX, the flippy LCD, which can be turned inwards for protection, the roughly double battery life and the separated photo/video menus are all significant, and equally so for stills as video shooters.

Posted (edited)

I would have loved to see a better positioning of the different product lines at Fuji. The X-T4 is now a bit like Gerald Undone has put it: "jack of all trades, master of some". I would have hoped that the X-H line was focused on hybrid video/stills use incl. IBIS, flippy screen, decent ports (like a headphone port!). That would free up the X-T line to be the better stills camera. It would allow Fuji to have two teams really focusing to build the best in both categories. The X100V shows that with good positioning and focus on purpose, Fuji can build the best (fixed lens street) camera on the market.

Edited by Herco

Posted (edited)

Will not be leaving Fuji though will not be buying the X-T4, side flippy screen reminds me too much of my Canon Rebel and I have loathed video since my wife bought a camcorder many years ago. Too disconnected from family events where as with a camera you can slip in and out of documenting and still be part of things. 

I will probably get an X-Pro3 when I upgrade my X-T2. 

BTW, I did like my Canon, I just left the flippy thing closed screen down unless needed. I guess this means I’d be endorsing the X-Pro3 design.

David

Edited by dward
Fixed a typo

Not leaving but Disappointed. The xt4 looks like a very nice hybrid for the money. Nevertheless, I have no interest in video and what’s improved for the still photographer isn’t enough for me to move on from my xt3. Feels a bit like a dead end for me. 

On 3/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, Herco said:

I would have loved to see a better positioning of the different product lines at Fuji. The X-T4 is now a bit like Gerald Undone has put it: "jack of all trades, master of some". I would have hoped that the X-H line was focused on hybrid video/stills use incl. IBIS, flippy screen, decent ports (like a headphone port!). That would free up the X-T line to be the better stills camera. It would allow Fuji to have two teams really focusing to build the best in both categories. The X100V shows that with good positioning and focus on purpose, Fuji can build the best (fixed lens street) camera on the market.

I am afraid this was my understanding when the XH-1 came out.  The "H" stood for hybrid.  I know I read a couple of articles that mentioned this, but doubt I could find them now.  Actually I was quite pleased because this meant the XT line would continue to improve while the XH line would satisfy the needs of the videographers. 

Now the XT-4 has come out as a camcorder I am VERY disappointed and disgruntled with Fuji.  I will not be purchasing any more Fuji products until they go back to photography rather then videography.  And I will never under any circumstances own any camera with one of those cheap useless flippy things hanging off the side.