PierrCast

Fujifilm X-T camera type only for stills

YES, YES, YES!!  The direction Fuji has taken lately has been all for video and AF at the expense of ISO performance.  Forget about producing good stills, I'm not so sure they care.  The XT-2 was much better than the XT-3 and so far all I see is Fuji stepping back from image quality for the sake of AF and video.

The "XH" series was supposed to mean "Hybrid" for both video and stills while the "XT" line was supposed to continue to be a camera, not a camcorder.   Now the XT-4 is simply the XH-2 in disguise.

I will be using my XT-2 & XT-3 much longer than I expected from what I am seeing lately and that's a good thing because I love those two cameras.

2 hours ago, Lumens said:

YES, YES, YES!!  The direction Fuji has taken lately has been all for video and AF at the expense of ISO performance.  Forget about producing good stills, I'm not so sure they care.  The XT-2 was much better than the XT-3 and so far all I see is Fuji stepping back from image quality for the sake of AF and video.

The "XH" series was supposed to mean "Hybrid" for both video and stills while the "XT" line was supposed to continue to be a camera, not a camcorder.   Now the XT-4 is simply the XH-2 in disguise.

I will be using my XT-2 & XT-3 much longer than I expected from what I am seeing lately and that's a good thing because I love those two cameras.

I totally love my X-T2 and even my X-T10. But please enlighten me, in what respect is it “much better than the X-T3” ? To the best of my knowledge the difference in “ISO performance” as you called it is considered negligible.

I am not buying the X-T3, maybe not even X-T4, because for what I do I am fine with the X-T2. I am just a amateur hobby photographer after all. But others have different needs and that is legitimate. It is nice that there are so many options, isn’t it. 

On 2/27/2020 at 11:06 AM, flamidey said:

What are you talking about?

Care to give us some examples? Cause that's absolutely not my experience.

You take a short sentence outside of what I said to completely distort what it is I actually said.  The XT-3 does have some advantages over the XT-2 and when it comes to going out to shoot moving subjects, the XT-3 is what is in my bag.  But when it comes to ISO performance and a cleaner RAW file I find my XT-2 files to be a much higher quality than my XT-3 files. 

Granted this is just my opinion, but I know quite a few others who feel the same.

4 hours ago, Lumens said:

You take a short sentence outside of what I said to completely distort what it is I actually said.  The XT-3 does have some advantages over the XT-2 and when it comes to going out to shoot moving subjects, the XT-3 is what is in my bag.  But when it comes to ISO performance and a cleaner RAW file I find my XT-2 files to be a much higher quality than my XT-3 files. 

Granted this is just my opinion, but I know quite a few others who feel the same.

Bad quoting, my bad. Although I DID mean to quote your ISO comparison. THAT makes absolutely no sense to me. By a wide margin. My experience is that XT3 outperforms XT2 in High ISO in all circumstances.

Yes, Fujifilm; and while you're up and have your design tools in hand for a "stills centric" X-T4, how bout gluing together a little "stills biased" range-finder style camera about the same size as the X-E2S.  That would be a true all-purpose, all-streets, camera; and might be customizable for any street photographer, anywhere.

I'd love that thought.  Between my XT1, XT2, and XH1 I have used the video function no more than five times in seven years of ownership.  Now I own the GFX 50r and why the hell does that beast have video!?  It makes absolutely no sense other than to satisfy a few users who must have video. I have never liked video, and don't even shoot video with my iPhone.

24 minutes ago, Zababo said:

The only for stills camera is the XPro 3, isn’t it ?

Yabut, Fujifilm still packed a lot of XT-3 video capability and features into a "pure photography" camera + cell-phone operational technology (touch screen, etc.)....AND, it appears that their first customers are still working through the initial production bugs for their QC Dept.  That leaves us, who tend to be cautious, with the X-Pro2.  No?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JeighLG
      I just upgraded to the t4 (from the t2) and have some questions about Fuji’s approach to multiple exposures(ME).  On the t2, we were limited to 2 layers and when you were satisfied with the finished image, the blended pic was saved and the source images were deleted.  In the t4, we’re allowed up to 9 layers, which is lovely, but when you finish with the ME, the source Images are still on the card.  The MEs are in the standard JPG format, the source pix are RAW so are much bigger.  Hence, they eat up a LOT of valuable card real estate.  
      I have scoured the manual and this forum to see if anyone knows if there is a s/w switch to enable the source file clean-up, but have not found anything.  So who do I contact/ask to find out if a) there is such a switch, and b) if there isn’t, how best to make the suggestion to Fuji?
    • By Herco
      Let me first introduce myself. 57 years and amateur photographer since the age of 12, although with intervals. My passion lies with portrait, fashion, street and urban landscape. All stills photography, almost no video.
      I started with an Olympus OM1 (which I still have and occasionally use) but have been around the block: from Olympus to Nikon to Pentax to Minolta to Canon and Leica. I took a few years off of photography, until someone lend me his X-Pro1 for a day. It reminded me of my M6 and M8. The X-Pro1 was far from perfect. However the camera grew on me and the image quality was so beautiful that it kept me wanting to shoot more.
      When the X-Pro2 came along I immediately upgraded and after a year or so I added an X-T2, which later on I swapped for an X-H1. The X-H1 is a bit big for Fuji standards, but after the EOS 5D its a breeze. In the meanwhile I own 9 XF lenses. Mostly primes, but also the 16-55 (hence the X-H1 for its IBIS). 90mm is the longest focal length I need (and have).
      For me the X-H1 also marks the transition point of Fujifilm. From this point onwards Fuji started to lose me. Let me explain.
      First of all next to the X-T10/20/30 Fuji launched the X-T100/200 line rendering the beautiful X-E line redundant and from what I hear, repealed soon. I understand the commercial viability of video capabilities and a DSLR-style over a rangefinder-style, but speaking of crowded market segments...
      Next to that Fuji launched the X-T3 only a few months after introducing the X-H1. I would have understood this if the hybrid X-H1 had the 26Mp sensor soon followed by the X-T3 with a similar sensor. But cannibalizing a flagship model within half a year or so, dramatically drop its price and discard of any meaningful firmware update for more than 1.5 years, is an insult to buyers. That kind of corporate behaviour is what we previously accused Nikon, Canon and Sony for, but they’ve bettered their lifes. 
      It seems that history is repeating itself with the new X-T4 versus the X-T3. In a few years Fuji went from “video as an after-thougth” to “video-first”. There’s little progress in the X-T4 when it comes to stills. You could even say some degress: the fully articulating screen is not for stills photographers. Occasionally ‘killing your darlings’ is part of progress, but this almost feels like leaving a group of customers behind.
      In the meanwhile Fuji also launched the X-Pro3. I can dig dropping the d-pad and the reversed tilted screen. The titanium top- and bottom plates are a nice touch, but add little to the quality of the camera. What I can’t understand is getting rid of the dual magnification for the OVF. That renders any lens wider than 23mm or longer than 50mm useless in combination with the OVF, which is the main attraction of the X-Pro3. Leica already understood this decades ago...
      Probably Fuji’s best matured camera is the X100V. The style, new lens and tilted screen has defined today’s ultimate street camera. In fact I even consider swapping my beloved X-Pro2 for an X100V. The X100V shows that clearly defining a product line and improve and innovate on a regular basis is a better strategy than creating new and mixing existing product lines. It also makes it easier to maintain a stable pricing strategy.
      My hope is now on the X-H2 to restore ratio in Fuji’s product line-up and break with the recent ‘video-first’ mantra. However, considering the X-H was meant to be the hybrid stills/video camera, I fear the worst. I guess I’m part of a dying breed but Fuji please don’t make me want to buy an A7R...
    • By radul
      I wander about those 2 things 
      hoe maya people use 2.5 remote ? - i have only just found the slot on x-t3
      and second question how many even have something like that?
      maybe it is something to make an fujirumors questionnaire about...
      is the remote jack slot really needed on x-t3/ x-t4 cameras? or the next one?

• By cup4sharks
      I am newer to digital photography, so I would appreciate your patience with me and my questions. My hands shake a little bit when holding objects.  I am wondering if, considering my situation, I should rule out the x-T30, even if I use it with Fuji Lenses with Image Stabilization built into them.  Is that enough for me or do you feel I really must have a camera with it also built into the camera itself? For me and my slight shake, is in in-camera image stabilization, nice to have or a must have?   I can currently afford the X-T30 and would like to get it, but if you advise me that, because of my minor shaking, I really should wait until I can afford the likes of the X-T4, that would be good to know.  Thank you, in advance for sharing your time and expertise.
    • I do not believe that it is the video features that caused the increase in size and weight. It is the added IBIS.  
    • ditto, some of my beat BNW shots are from my XE1
    • Not enough information here. I assume you have downloaded to a computer? What type of computer and which operating system? How did you download the files and how are you viewing them? Which application are you using? How do you know you are getting 1920x1080 resolution? Are you viewing the raw file or the jpg? If this is the jpg what jpg settings did you use in the camera?
    • Brought back the X-T30 today and tried 3 in store - all exhibited same issue in varying degrees of yellow tint.  I was offered a refund but opted to try more as I shop regularly at the store. They have contacted Fujifilm to order others from possibly another batch to test.  Absolute joke in my opinion.    My X-E2s, X-T1 and evening X-M1 do t exhibit this problem.    I did order a 2nd X-E2s when B&H had a sale and it had the issue and had to be sent back also a few years
    • Hi,    I have the Fuji X-A5 and it's been working fine the last few weeks. But after my last session all the images I downloaded are at resolution 1920x1080. The odd thing is that their file size is still 40MB+ I usually shoot just raw but I changed it too Raw+Fine so I could preview the full images in camera. So does anyone know whats going on here?   Regards, Tommy