Demo of X-T3 -- question on a few issues I had

Annie

Hi!

I am considering the Fuji XT30 or XT3. Some of the images I have taken with the camera are amazing in the detail that is captured! Just love it!

However, I had some issues as shown in the 2 photos below. I had asked the store manager to set the camera for landscape so the shots are at a small aperture.

In the first photo, I was leaning against a wall, focusing on the bush. 

Any thoughts on why the bush is not in focus? It appears the focus is on the building beyond....(I had to decrease the image size of the photo but no other changes were made).

Also, why is the photo underexposed (the exposure meter  in the viewfinder was at 0 when I did chance to look so I would expect correct  exposure)?  

Will the XT30 have the same issue ?

Specs:  F11 

1/200 second

Metering: Average

Aperture Priority

55 MM (from the 18-55 F.28-4 lens)

In the 2nd photo, I was receiving an error message in the viewfinder "AF!" (in red)

I do not understand why the camera could not focus on anything. 

I lowered myself (vs standing straight up) and the camera was able to auto focus.

I thought there was enough in the image to focus on - it was not dark, just overcast. Any thoughts on why I received the error?

Thank you so much and all  the best!

Annie

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The ISO is set to 160 in these images, so that along with f11 and 1/200 is going to make for dark images. Probably for a scene this overcast, you might try starting with ISO of 400 or so for the f11 and 1/200 settings. Also, try having the histogram show in the screen, that can help you decide on exposure settings.

The camera's sensor's focus sensitivity is tied into the ISO, F number and shutter speed, (it is listed as a EV number) so in the first try of the second photo, you MAY have picked a very dark spot to try and get focus lock, but that changed during your second attempt. Without being there at that time, speculation is ..., well just that.

HTH

Bergat, thank you. The camera had to be set to JPEG only, so I do not have the raw file, unfortunately. (I was demo'ing in a store)

Jerry, thank you.  I believe the camera was set to aperture priority/automatic by the store manager, so wouldn't the camera had adjusted ISO on its own? Sorry, I was at the store and do not yet know the camera. Typically I set aperture and ISO manually (on the camera I currently own) and would have done as you suggested. But I would think if the camera is on automatic (if it was?) then it would have adjusted the settings. The one time I looked at the exposure meter within the viewfinder, it was at 0 so I would infer that meant the settings were correct for exposure (?).

Thank you, both!

Annie

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Bergat, thank you. The camera had to be set to JPEG only, so I do not have the raw file, unfortunately. (I was demo'ing in a store)

Jerry, thank you.  I believe the camera was set to aperture priority/automatic by the store manager, so wouldn't the camera had adjusted ISO on its own? Sorry, I was at the store and do not yet know the camera. Typically I set aperture and ISO manually (on the camera I currently own) and would have done as you suggested. But I would think if the camera is on automatic (if it was?) then it would have adjusted the settings. The one time I looked at the exposure meter within the viewfinder, it was at 0 so I would infer that meant the settings were correct for exposure (?).

Thank you, both!

Annie

Not necessarily, the Aperture Priority setting is more concerned with only setting the shutter speed, the ISO can be set to not change or to automagically change in the camera’s set up menu. The histogram will give you a much better idea about the exposure than the exposure meter will because of the reasons Greybeard is discussing.

p.s.if you set this camera into fully manual mode, it will give you some fantastic results! Just make sure you do not accidentally move the EC dial (it does not lock!).

edit: a while back, Fujifilm issued a firmware update for the X-T3; part of the update concerned auto focus issues. It is possible the demo camera you were given to test has not had that update installed.

Edited by jerryy

Thank you, Greybeard, Jerry, and Bergat!

This all makes sense to me. I thought it was likely a settings issue. Demo'ing at a store when I haven't learned the camera yet may be less helpful than helpful I have been learning due to not knowing the camera settings and how to take advantage of the features and functions of the camera to maximize image quality.

It's good to know there is such a helpful Fuji community should I buy the XT3 (if price goes down after the XT4 goes on sale) or the XT30 (but I think I really want the weather sealing!)

Thank you!
All the best to you!

Annie