Will there be a Fujifilm XE 4?

As I watch update after update and new model after new model, I wonder the same thing. I also wonder how driven I might be to buy such a new model. I get excited at all the new announcements, but as they occur, I realize two things: first, much of the new improvements are already in the X-E3*; and second, I don't need any of those new features. I like my X-E3 just as it is, except for a missing quick menu option that annoys me.

* = well, that was true for awhile for firmware items, but many of the new hardware features are pretty amazing.

As for what an X-E4 might be, all I can think of is the is the higher power sensor/processor for better autofocus and video. Anything more, and they will crossing over into more premium models that already exist.

I'm thinking of another body for family members to use, but if I had an X-E3 and X-E_something_else to choose from, I would likely select the X-E3 again, maybe in black this time.    

i'm 90% sure there will be an X-E4

the X-Pro3 and X-T4 have both been more focused towards professional use. i believe fuji should have a competitor for the sony a6000 line in the form of their X-E line. it will probably not get IBIS like the X-T4 but will get the same features as the new X100v

just my opinion...and my hope...

Thank you both for your input, I hope we will see it soon, since I own 2 XE 3 bodies, one in really bad shape from intensive use. I would buy the newest Xe to replace at least this one, otherwise it's true that the XE 3 is still plenty enough and a real joy to use, so maybe a discounted XE 3 body will be the way to go.

Well, we just got the answer to this question. As reported on Fuji Rumors 3 March 2020, the X-Ex line is discontinued. Done. Finis. Auf wiedersehen.

I am really upset over this. To force upon me unnecessary features is no appeasement to denying me brilliant simplicity.

I understand the decisions they make as a business; apparently, they are less tolerant of the decisions I make as a photographer.

I'm going to my room now. Leave me alone. And get off my lawn...... 

I have an X-E2 and X-E3 though, truth be told, it's the X-E3 that gets the use as my third Fujifilm camera is an X-Pro 2 and there's an X-T4 on order. I'm a professional… have been for, dare I say it, fifty years. So…

I love the X-E3 because it reminds me of my old Leica CL, a wonderful little camera I used through the 70's into the 80's. Small, quiet, unobtrusive, it, like the X-E3, was a great little street shooter.

I join you in mourning the passing of the X-E cameras. I know mine will be in use until they give up the ghost.

Edited by LPPhoto

16 hours ago, LPPhoto said:

I have an X-E2 and X-E3 though, truth be told, it's the X-E3 that gets the use as my third Fujifilm camera is an X-Pro 2 and there's an X-T4 on order. I'm a professional… have been for, dare I say it, fifty years. So…

I love the X-E3 because it reminds me of my old Leica CL, a wonderful little camera I used through the 70's into the 80's. Small, quiet, unobtrusive, it, like the X-E3, was a great little street shooter.

I join you in mourning the passing of the X-E cameras. I know mine will be in use until they give up the ghost.

I've never been pro, although I considered it briefly as I contemplated a career change in 2004. I retired a year ago, and decided I was going to to be a very active enthusiast of creative photography the rest of my life. I'm monogamous by nature; I used my Nikon FE for 37 years before going digital with the X-E3. I just ordered a new X-E3, so I will have a spare, but I will be forever chaffed by the fact that I can never replace them.

I will remain a Fuji customer, and while I am very impressed by Fujifilm's recent accomplishments, I invite all the photographers on this thread to join me in voicing a great big "RASPBERRIES" to Fujifilm for leaving this form factor, and by extension, us, in their rear view mirror. I feel betrayed, abandoned, and disappointed that Fujifilm failed to make this a viable form factor. 

Alright, I'm going back to my room again.......   

Edited by itchy shutter finger

21 hours ago, andrei89 said:

i kind of also think it's bull...considering they moved the x-t4 more towards video and the x-pro3 is very very niche with that weird screen...although fuji know their numbers best...

i don't get why the viewfinder has to be on top and in the middle? especially on mirrorless...is it just for the looks?

I think Fujifilm was seeking to mimic form factors popular with photographers of yesteryear. They certainly have the engineering chops to put a viewfinder anywhere they want; I wouldn't doubt one of those guys has an X-T4 on his desk with a wireless hi-res viewfinder in a pair of Virtual Reality game glasses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 12:34 PM, andrei89 said:

i kind of also think it's bull...considering they moved the x-t4 more towards video and the x-pro3 is very very niche with that weird screen...although fuji know their numbers best...

i don't get why the viewfinder has to be on top and in the middle? especially on mirrorless...is it just for the looks?

My theory:  In the recovery/counseling world some of us say; "Never underestimate the power of the 'familiar'" ~ I believe "the familiar" is the primary reason "why the viewfinder has to be on top and in the middle".

Will there be an X-E4?  If it's the "successor" to the X-E3; not interested.  If it's the successor to the X-E2(S), I'm in ~ as long as it has the size and ergonomics of the X-E2, including the separate AE-L & AF-L buttons ~ including the pop-up fill-flash ~ including the cable release socket on the shutter button ~ and make it more "stills centric" and less of a video camera ~ forget the touch screen, but make it tilt, similar to the Sony a6000.

The X-E2 is the most fun (retro, Leica-wannabe) camera I own and I'd want an X-E4 to carry on that legacy model.   I may even leave the Sony's at home, when shooting "the street", the amateur sports, and the grandkids if the X-E4 had all the right stuff.

19 hours ago, le boecere said:

Will there be an X-E4?  If it's the "successor" to the X-E3; not interested.  If it's the successor to the X-E2(S), I'm in ~ as long as it has the size and ergonomics of the X-E2, including the separate AE-L & AF-L buttons ~ including the pop-up fill-flash ~ including the cable release socket on the shutter button ~ and make it more "stills centric" and less of a video camera ~ forget the touch screen, but make it tilt, similar to the Sony a6000.

The X-E2 is the most fun (retro, Leica-wannabe) camera I own and I'd want an X-E4 to carry on that legacy model.   I may even leave the Sony's at home, when shooting "the street", the amateur sports, and the grandkids if the X-E4 had all the right stuff.

naah...not including a touchscreen and decent video specs would be a shot in the foot for fuji and the x-e line...

ibis and x-t4 video specs would increase price too much and most probably size as well..

I was aiming for an X-E4, dang it all.  Now where do I go? 

If you can believe it, I'm still with my X-E1.  I've taken care of it over the years, it's in great shape, and it has served me well having taken over ten thousand photos with it.  It was a bit small for my big hands so I bought a half case and thumb rest- that makes it darn near the right size for what I want to do.  I'm a retired semi-pro.  The small size and my small lenses have been great for hauling around from here to Europe.  The picture quality still amazes me at 16MP with enlargements to 16 x 24 easy.  But despite my love of the X-E1 I've come to the realization that it's time to move on. 

I was hoping upon hope that by the time they got to the X-E4, Fujifilm would have perfected a weather sealed body and IBS enough so to bring the camera in at a lower price point than the XPro-3 (which does not have IBS - disappointment!).  The X-Pro3 is a little bigger than I'd like but, more to its detriment, there are so many bells and whistles on the X-Pro3, including the OVF, that I don't need and would never use.  I actually even rented a GFX 50R (amazing camera) to investigate that possibility.  The body is reasonably sized but the lenses are way too big (not to mention the expense of them).  Can you see a pattern developing here?  I thoroughly enjoy the rangefinder style camera and Fuji's dial layout.  With the X-E series likely being cancelled we are running out of choices.  

Do I now wait for an X-Pro4 with IBS?

I have x-e2 and was looking at x-e4 as an obvious choice to upgrade as well. Now, when x-e4 is probably dead, I'm going to keep x-e2 as my street camera until x-pro4 with IBIS and proper LCD screen will be developed. Meanwhile I'm going to get x-t4 for my 16-55 and long lenses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 10:52 AM, mdm said:

I have x-e2 and was looking at x-e4 as an obvious choice to upgrade as well. Now, when x-e4 is probably dead, I'm going to keep x-e2 as my street camera until x-pro4 with IBIS and proper LCD screen will be developed. Meanwhile I'm going to get x-t4 for my 16-55 and long lenses.

As the X-Pro2 is larger and heavier than the X-Pro1, and the X-Pro3 is larger and heavier than the X-Pro2; I would have every reason to believe that an X-Pro4 will be even larger and heavier than the X-Pro3.  Isn't the X-Pro line getting quite a bit larger than your (our) X-E2?  And, doesn't that make the imagined X-Pro4-5&6 no longer even comparable to the right-sized X-E series?

On 4/9/2020 at 4:35 AM, le boecere said:

As the X-Pro2 is larger and heavier than the X-Pro1, and the X-Pro3 is larger and heavier than the X-Pro2; I would have every reason to believe that an X-Pro4 will be even larger and heavier than the X-Pro3.  Isn't the X-Pro line getting quite a bit larger than your (our) X-E2?  And, doesn't that make the imagined X-Pro4-5&6 no longer even comparable to the right-sized X-E series?

Your logic makes sense here. It appears to me that Fujifilm is gobsmacked by video right now, and seem to be forgetting that some of their customers enjoy taking photographs with small cameras, and really not interested in 4k selfies. I love the X-E because when I take photos, it just holds my beer (photos), and gets out of my way. 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:37 AM, andrei89 said:

naah...not including a touchscreen and decent video specs would be a shot in the foot for fuji and the x-e line...

ibis and x-t4 video specs would increase price too much and most probably size as well..

Got to thinking further about your reply Andrei ~ and I wonder what happened to the market for "stills-centric" cameras.  A decade ago, Fujifilm was able to design, manufacture, and sell the  X-Pro1 and the X-E1 & 2 (junior X-pros?) that got scooped up by nostalgic "stills" photographers.  A decade later, they (Fuji) has to have 8K video, touch screen, joy-stick, microphones, selfy-swivels, and a half-dozen new bells and whistles, or the camera will not be sale-able.  What happened to that "old-school" market?  Am I the only one left on the planet?

5 hours ago, le boecere said:

A decade later, they (Fuji) has to have 8K video, touch screen, joy-stick, microphones, selfy-swivels, and a half-dozen new bells and whistles, or the camera will not be sale-able.  What happened to that "old-school" market?  Am I the only one left on the planet?

no, you're not alone. i also don't care one bit about video simply because i lack the time to spend for editing...BUT...at this point when everyone is a youtuber and online reviews matter, any new camera must have at least some of the modern features: touchscreen, some kind of articulation of said screen, some video features

i'll give you 2 examples of more targeted cameras: first: canon RP: so much bashing and hate for that camera for not having whatever 4k and 24fps (i think it has 25 and 30 or whatever). all that hate towards a STILLS camera pressured canon into releasing a firmware update for 24fps. second: sigma FP: a clearly video oriented camera bashed left and right for not having a grip or a mechanical shutter for stills

the perfect camera does not exist and any camera, old or new, will never be for anyone and everyone...companies must try and target a specific market with specific features in order to sell their product and make a profit and as the latest numbers show, there is a market for cheap(er than x-pro3) rangefinder style mirrorless cameras