Lenses for video with manual focus

lrj

Can I ask what lenses people use for manual focus when shooting video.  Fuji lenses are mostly manual focus by wire.

Its so important to easily rack the focus yourself (not with extra focus gear, just your fingers!)

Thanks

A lot of people will adapt lenses. I personally am using the sigma 18-35 via the Fringer. I know several others that prefer cinema glass and will go with Rokinon/Samyang EF DS line and just use a cheap dumb adapter.

There is cinema glass made for the x-mount, but from what I've read, you get better quality from going larger (less focus breathing and softness).

Finally, if you have the $$$ then you should naturally go for the MK glass that fuji makes themselves. Many would agree that it is the best zoom cinema glass but at $3-4k a piece... currently out of my budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks steeped.  Like you, I haven't got the $$$ for the best fuji. 

I'm starting selling low budget arty family portrait films (3-4 mins) & promo films for small businesses. 

Ideally I'd like a couple of Fuji fast primes that work well with manual focus, so I can occasionally do a  fast swop to stills & AF.

You do not need an adaptor for the Rokinon lenses, they have them in x mount versions

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1047001-REG/rokinon_cv12m_fx_12mm_t_2_2_cine_lens.html

I have this one, it gives some pretty good results for not so much money. You can get it on sale from time to time from the various vendors. It is fully manual, with the toothy geared focus and aperture rings.

Edited by jerryy

Thanks guys, I'll look at the Fuji 23mm f1.4. I've been testing the 16-55 as well.

And the Rokinon/Samyang manual focus lenses are good value too, either with or without the toothy geared rings.