28mm lens

lakelao

I am a Nikon shooter, I own several Nikon 28mm lens, like the 1.8G and 2.8AIS, they both very sharp and have reasonable price. 

But when I switch Fuji, I just couldn't find any 28mm equivalent lens is 80% as good as nikon's

The 18mmF2 is good for street photograph, but not for landscape. The 18mm 2.8 on the 18-55mm is fine, but can not do close up.

So far the best 18mm lens I could find for Fuji is the one on X70. It is sharp enough and able to do close up. I do hope it is a F2 lens though 

Some people may say the 16mm 1.4 is the best wide lens for Fuji, but for me, 24mm and 28mm is a huge difference 

Really hope Fuji could come up something new for the 28mm in 2020. (18mmF2 MarkII/ 18mmF1.4/ X80 with 18mmF2)

Allen

Unless you are printing 100% size there is a simple solution - to shoot with 16mm lens and just crop to desired 18mm. The resulting image will hav emuch better level of border details comparing to XF 18mm F2. And you have flexibility of shifting frame a bit.

I also prefer 18mm of X70 more than XF 16mm on X bodies, but only due to more compact size. 

21 hours ago, yukosteel said:

Unless you are printing 100% size there is a simple solution - to shoot with 16mm lens and just crop to desired 18mm. The resulting image will hav emuch better level of border details comparing to XF 18mm F2. And you have flexibility of shifting frame a bit.

I also prefer 18mm of X70 more than XF 16mm on X bodies, but only due to more compact size. 

Will be a good idea if Fuji takes out the 18mm 2.8 on X70 and make it a pancake lens.

I agree with Lakelao. The 28mm (18mm on Fujifilm) perspective lens is a standard lens. Fuji needs to up date their 18mm F2 lens. Strangely there are no independent lens manufacturers that make this particular focal length for Fujifilm cameras. Currently I use the wide extender on my X100s and X100F for this perspective.  The 28mm focal length lens for my 35mm film cameras was my main lens that I used from the early 1980's up until the 2010 when I switched full time to digital photography (from Canon5D2 to the Fujifilm system). The 24mm (16mm on Fujifilm) is too wide for my needs.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you, lakelao. 16mm is too large for me while 18mm is a focal lens I feel very well with. 
Luckely I never use such a wide angle for landscape*, using this 18mm lens only for reportage or street photography. 

* for landscape, in the field like in a town I prefer a 35mm, sometimes the 27mm, exceptionally a 23mm . What I would like too is a 40mm. There is only one for Fuji, the Kipon IBELUX 40mm f0.85 II, a non AF Lens oriented for portraits (because f 0.85!!)  but quite good down to f5.6 (alikgriffin.com). 
But, it’s  price is amazing: near to 1500$ !!

Edited by Zababo

• 1 year later...

Thanks Fuji. 

They do listen.

18mm F1.4 is the best 28mm equivalent lens I've ever used

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lakelao

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, lakelao said:

Thanks Fuji. 

They do listen.

18mm F1.4 is the best 28mm equivalent lens I've ever used

Size-wise, how are you finding it compared to something like your 2.8 AIS?

I might be getting an X-S10, and since I love 28mm, this would be of interest. 

On 6/17/2021 at 1:33 AM, KrisAK said:

Size-wise, how are you finding it compared to something like your 2.8 AIS?

I might be getting an X-S10, and since I love 28mm, this would be of interest. 

30% bigger than 2.8 AIS, well balanced on my XT1 with grip.

As sharp as Nikon 28mm 1.4E.