cup4sharks

How much difference does "in camera image stabilization" make?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am newer to digital photography, so I would appreciate your patience with me and my questions. My hands shake a little bit when holding objects.  I am wondering if, considering my situation, I should rule out the x-T30, even if I use it with Fuji Lenses with Image Stabilization built into them.  Is that enough for me or do you feel I really must have a camera with it also built into the camera itself? For me and my slight shake, is in in-camera image stabilization, nice to have or a must have?   I can currently afford the X-T30 and would like to get it, but if you advise me that, because of my minor shaking, I really should wait until I can afford the likes of the X-T4, that would be good to know.  Thank you, in advance for sharing your time and expertise.

Hello cup4sharks

I think your problem with IBIS will be mainly that it is quite expensive and I'm not sure you can compensate that with cheaper lenses (more on that below). If the X-T4 will include IBIS, it will be a more expensive camera than the XT-3 is. And of course a much more expensive camera than the X-T30 you look at. So if you "wait" for the X-T4, it's possible you'll wait for the "wrong" price range. I'm also pretty sure the X-T40, X-T50... won't have "physical" IBIS because of that for a long time.

But first you have to understand that camera IBIS is not the same like in-lens IS. IBIS does minimize the "flat" shaking on x, y axis and rolling. In-lens IS does minimize pitch and yaw. That's the reason why a XH-1 can combine both systems together. However, In-lens IS helps more for photos with long range lenses, while IBIS is generally helpful in movie situations. Facing that, I can imagine that in-lens image stabilization will help you more than IBIS. But I can't presume to be the judge of that, as I don't have that sort of problem. So the first advice I give you is: try to find out if you really need IBIS or if you have to buy IS lenses anyway. I can imagine you don't need both systems together, but as I said: how can I know that?!

Beside of that I'm pretty sure you need a more hefty camera. A X-T3 is a bigger camera which is less difficult to hold in the hands. If you buy a cheaper X-T30, I would recommend you to include a nice hand grip in your calculation.

If you have the time to wait, I would also set a watcher to the price of the X-H1. Rumors say it's not that of a success for Fuji and it is possible that they'll drop the price in a very foreseen future (it already dropped remarkable). If there really will be a X-T4 with IBIS released, I'm pretty sure X-H1 gets a rather hefty price drop if not even a sell-out. Saying that, the X-H1 wold get a true bargain in that situation.

Cheers

cup4sharks - Have you worked any on shooting technique to minimize the hand shake? I learned a very long time ago that deep breath-exhale-hold-SHOOT is a technique that worked well for me at photography, shooting firearms, shooting bow and arrow, bowling, and even hammering nails.

I just turned 66, and I can you with certainty I am not as steady as I once was, but I can still shoot 1/30 without OIS using this technique. My wife has the same issue as you - she has never been able to shoot a clear photo, and this is working for her now.   

I don't have a Fuji body with IBIS, but I have three lenses with OIS, and the extra latitude for still shots is significant. I don't shoot video, so I can't comment on that.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having Fuji, Olympus and Sony, I would advise you to try an Olympus body: its IBIS technology is fantastic and would allow you to put that "extra-shake" behind your concerns. Or, if you really want to go Fuji, I guess you would be very happy with a 2nd-hand X-H1 (I had one and replaced it with an X-T3): it is heavier and the IBIS is also great. 

But I'd check the Olympus before anything...

IBIS and lens OIS are absolutely wonderful to have but as Boessu mentioned, proper technique will take care of the need for IBIS.  Holding the camera correctly and when there is a heavy lens, holding the lens with one hand while shooting, arms in close to the body will stabilize any camera.  Then for shooting, keep your shutter speed fast enough to cover any shake you are introducing.  The 1/focal length rule is a solid starting point to compensate for any shake that you introduce.  IBIS and OIS allow you to more easily shoot at speeds slower than that BUT isn't absolutely needed to do so.  Cameras for decades have not had any stabilization in them and millions upon millions of pictures have been taken that are tack sharp without it.

Only two of my lens have OIS on them and I have never had IBIS in any body and I shoot weddings in low light all the time without any problems.  I also shoot wildlife with long lens' and also have no problem.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.  :)

I have slight hand shake due to an injury. I currently own a Canon Rebel SL1 (not stabilized) with a 24 MM F2.8 stabilized lens.which offers up to 4 stops of image stabilization (IS). Even with that, I found ways to minimize/eliminate shake , because I found, I tend to move more than I realize - I need to be very aware of my body and what I am doing when I shoot. I am a landscape / travel photographer and find things to lean against (trees, poles, etc), put my camera on (rocks, branches, sign posts, walls...), and also - as others suggest - found ways to hold the camera to minimize shake. It can take some experimentation to see what works best in holding a camera. And it works! For me too, setting the shutter over 125 also hopes. I found anything under that with my Canon might result in blurry images.

Keep in mind too, that aperture under about F/8 or so may look like it is blurred in areas but can be just depth of field.  

I am upgrading my camera set up and image stabilization is important.  I liked  Olympus cameras or Panasonic/Lumix which offer stabilized cameras which folks can rave about.  I was really impressed with the OMD M-5 from Olympus for the stabilization.  

That said, I demo'd the XT30 and XT3 and found it very stabilized through lens stabilization. What sells the camera for me is the incredible amount of detail  throughout the image that II can get and the stabilization. Of course I shot a photo of someone while moving and it blurred, but that was to be expected since i was moving.

Check photo below. I only decreased the size of it.  This was just a quick demo with the 18-55 F2.8-4 lens. That detail, even in darker areas, sells me with this camera.

Last I would say go to a camera store  and demo.

Keep in mind though when demo'ing that the settings the camera is at may not be what you need not bring out the full capabilities of the camera (happened to me quite a bit when demoing). As you learn a camera and its functions/capabilities, you will get better.

I suggest you mention the type of photography you want to do, mention the hand shake issue, and ask the salesman/saleswoman to set the camera for your needs. You might want to review the images with them too so they can explain why an image might look the way it does.

All the best!

Annie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JeighLG
      I just upgraded to the t4 (from the t2) and have some questions about Fuji’s approach to multiple exposures(ME).  On the t2, we were limited to 2 layers and when you were satisfied with the finished image, the blended pic was saved and the source images were deleted.  In the t4, we’re allowed up to 9 layers, which is lovely, but when you finish with the ME, the source Images are still on the card.  The MEs are in the standard JPG format, the source pix are RAW so are much bigger.  Hence, they eat up a LOT of valuable card real estate.  
      I have scoured the manual and this forum to see if anyone knows if there is a s/w switch to enable the source file clean-up, but have not found anything.  So who do I contact/ask to find out if a) there is such a switch, and b) if there isn’t, how best to make the suggestion to Fuji?
    • By Dimitrism
      Hi,
      I'm having some weird issues with the Fringer EF-FX Pro II on my Fuji XT3 and I hope someone can help.
      When using the adapter with my Canon and Sigma lenses the image on the camera LCD is not showing the correct depth of field for the selected aperture unless I half-press the shutter button.
      The dof in the image remains wide open unless I half-press the shutter.
      The exposure of the image is shown correctly and changes accordingly when changing the apertue on the lens, the aperture numbers on the screen also indicate the correct selected f-stop, but the dof in the image remains shallow, as if the lens is wide open, unless I half-press the shutter.
      Half pressing the shutter also no longer affects the focus of the image.
      I'm shooting in S mode with settings full manual- ss, iso, aperture.
      I've formatted the camera, updated to the latest firmware in camera and adapter (1.7) and the issue still persists.
      Is this there a menu fix I'm missing here? Has anyone else experienced this? Or is this possibly a Fringer issue?
      Thanks for your help!
      D

• By Moose_face
      Hello, i've recently got an X-T3 and ive recorded some short videos but when I try to move them onto my pc or external hard drive it says "this device is unreachable". It will also not play the videos despite apparently having the correct codecs installed. I'm relatively new to all of this so any help would be appriciated, thanks.
    • By Mathias
      So I just started live streaming with a switcher, and I have to run 1080I (interlace) for the livestream, can my X-T3 do that?
      I use my X-T3 for photography, and was hoping to use it for live streaming as well, but I haven't been able to find any information on how to change it to 1080i instead of 1080p
      I hope someone can help me

best regards
      Mathias
    • By Herco
      Let me first introduce myself. 57 years and amateur photographer since the age of 12, although with intervals. My passion lies with portrait, fashion, street and urban landscape. All stills photography, almost no video.
      I started with an Olympus OM1 (which I still have and occasionally use) but have been around the block: from Olympus to Nikon to Pentax to Minolta to Canon and Leica. I took a few years off of photography, until someone lend me his X-Pro1 for a day. It reminded me of my M6 and M8. The X-Pro1 was far from perfect. However the camera grew on me and the image quality was so beautiful that it kept me wanting to shoot more.
      When the X-Pro2 came along I immediately upgraded and after a year or so I added an X-T2, which later on I swapped for an X-H1. The X-H1 is a bit big for Fuji standards, but after the EOS 5D its a breeze. In the meanwhile I own 9 XF lenses. Mostly primes, but also the 16-55 (hence the X-H1 for its IBIS). 90mm is the longest focal length I need (and have).
      For me the X-H1 also marks the transition point of Fujifilm. From this point onwards Fuji started to lose me. Let me explain.
      First of all next to the X-T10/20/30 Fuji launched the X-T100/200 line rendering the beautiful X-E line redundant and from what I hear, repealed soon. I understand the commercial viability of video capabilities and a DSLR-style over a rangefinder-style, but speaking of crowded market segments...
      Next to that Fuji launched the X-T3 only a few months after introducing the X-H1. I would have understood this if the hybrid X-H1 had the 26Mp sensor soon followed by the X-T3 with a similar sensor. But cannibalizing a flagship model within half a year or so, dramatically drop its price and discard of any meaningful firmware update for more than 1.5 years, is an insult to buyers. That kind of corporate behaviour is what we previously accused Nikon, Canon and Sony for, but they’ve bettered their lifes. 
      It seems that history is repeating itself with the new X-T4 versus the X-T3. In a few years Fuji went from “video as an after-thougth” to “video-first”. There’s little progress in the X-T4 when it comes to stills. You could even say some degress: the fully articulating screen is not for stills photographers. Occasionally ‘killing your darlings’ is part of progress, but this almost feels like leaving a group of customers behind.
      In the meanwhile Fuji also launched the X-Pro3. I can dig dropping the d-pad and the reversed tilted screen. The titanium top- and bottom plates are a nice touch, but add little to the quality of the camera. What I can’t understand is getting rid of the dual magnification for the OVF. That renders any lens wider than 23mm or longer than 50mm useless in combination with the OVF, which is the main attraction of the X-Pro3. Leica already understood this decades ago...
      Probably Fuji’s best matured camera is the X100V. The style, new lens and tilted screen has defined today’s ultimate street camera. In fact I even consider swapping my beloved X-Pro2 for an X100V. The X100V shows that clearly defining a product line and improve and innovate on a regular basis is a better strategy than creating new and mixing existing product lines. It also makes it easier to maintain a stable pricing strategy.
      My hope is now on the X-H2 to restore ratio in Fuji’s product line-up and break with the recent ‘video-first’ mantra. However, considering the X-H was meant to be the hybrid stills/video camera, I fear the worst. I guess I’m part of a dying breed but Fuji please don’t make me want to buy an A7R...
    • I do not believe that it is the video features that caused the increase in size and weight. It is the added IBIS.  
    • ditto, some of my beat BNW shots are from my XE1
    • Not enough information here. I assume you have downloaded to a computer? What type of computer and which operating system? How did you download the files and how are you viewing them? Which application are you using? How do you know you are getting 1920x1080 resolution? Are you viewing the raw file or the jpg? If this is the jpg what jpg settings did you use in the camera?
    • Brought back the X-T30 today and tried 3 in store - all exhibited same issue in varying degrees of yellow tint.  I was offered a refund but opted to try more as I shop regularly at the store. They have contacted Fujifilm to order others from possibly another batch to test.  Absolute joke in my opinion.    My X-E2s, X-T1 and evening X-M1 do t exhibit this problem.    I did order a 2nd X-E2s when B&H had a sale and it had the issue and had to be sent back also a few years
    • Hi,    I have the Fuji X-A5 and it's been working fine the last few weeks. But after my last session all the images I downloaded are at resolution 1920x1080. The odd thing is that their file size is still 40MB+ I usually shoot just raw but I changed it too Raw+Fine so I could preview the full images in camera. So does anyone know whats going on here?   Regards, Tommy