Micro HDMI output

I notice that my Fuji x100f has a micro HDMI port. I know that it can be used to view live video on eg an external monitor as I shoot, but does anyone know if it will also output a live view of whatever the viewfinder is seeing while I'm shooting stills? What sort of device would I use to record that output?

• 1 month later...

I have an Elgato HD60 S+ that I use to capture the output from my X100F.  You must be in Movie mode in order to get the full resolution.

An interesting note is that the digital tele-converter does not work in HDMI output mode.

OTHERWISE, the following will happen. If you are in the wrong mode, you will get a lower res output.  Similarly, the viewfinder overlay will show up if you put something in near the eye sensor, this can be avoided by turning off all of the overlay items in the menu via WRENCH -> SCREEN SET-UP -> DISP. CUSTOM SETTING -> EVF/LCD; unfortunately, when the micro-HDMI is plugged-in, you can't disable the eye-sensor so it will always show unless you turn off the overlay items or just don't go near the eye sensor. 

Note: when the micro-HDMI cord is plugged in, the read/write LED will turn solid green when it recognizes an HDMI device.  Interestingly, when the micro-HDMI cord is plugged-in, you cannot toggle off the LCD's info overlay using the DISP/BACK button like you could when the micro-HDMI cord is not plugged-in. 

Another oddity is that you can use the hybrid OVF (when you select VIEWFINDER ONLY view mode) with the micro-HDMI plugged-in, and the signal you'll get will show the usual overlay and you can even toggle the Electronic rangefinder (ERF) window.  But, I don't really see an application for this.

Edited by Victor G
updated with missing information

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, Victor G said:

I have an Elgato HD60 S+ that I use to capture the output from my X100F.  You must be in Movie mode in order to get the full resolution.

An interesting note is that the digital tele-converter does not work in HDMI output mode.

OTHERWISE, the following will happen. If you are in the wrong mode, you will get a lower res output.  Similarly, the viewfinder overlay will show up if you put something in near the eye sensor, this can be avoided by turning off all of the overlay items in the menu via WRENCH -> SCREEN SET-UP -> DISP. CUSTOM SETTING -> EVF/LCD; unfortunately, when the micro-HDMI is plugged-in, you can't disable the eye-sensor so it will always show unless you turn off the overlay items or just don't go near the eye sensor. 

Note: when the micro-HDMI cord is plugged in, the read/write LED will turn solid green when it recognizes an HDMI device.  Interestingly, when the micro-HDMI cord is plugged-in, you cannot toggle off the LCD's info overlay using the DISP/BACK button like you could when the micro-HDMI cord is not plugged-in. 

Another oddity is that you can use the hybrid OVF (when you select VIEWFINDER ONLY view mode) with the micro-HDMI plugged-in, and the signal you'll get will show the usual overlay and you can even toggle the Electronic rangefinder (ERF) window.  But, I don't really see an application for this.

Can you share the steps you use to get your x100f to output correctly to the camlink? My macbook pro sees the camlink, and will let me select it as a video input - but the closest I've gotten to a working x100f with the camlink is a black screen output.

This is what I've done:

1. camlink to usb on the mac
  2. mini hdmi out on the x100f to camlink input
  3. turn the camera on, switch to video mode

That's all I've done, really, and I only get a black screen as output.  The LED on the back of the camera does turn solid green, and the lcd on the back of the camera shows an HDMI icon which seems to indicate that it is connected... but no luck!

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was also looking to connect my x100T via HDMI capture card to livestream from my computer. But after buying the cables and connecting, didn't get any signal output from the camera.

I found this article from Fuji about displaying pictures on TV, which prompted me to turn on playback button. Seems my x100T can only broadcast prerecorded photos or video, not send live feed via HDMI. Unless I'm missing something?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

With the pandemic going on, the home working has become more and more part of my daily life. I am often in conferences / video calls during the day and would like to use my Fujifilm X100T as a webcam on my MacBook Pro.

I've found many ways to do it on others cameras but none seems to apply 100% sure for X100T modele. As tethering is not supported on this camera, live recording can not be send to the desktop using a USB cable but I don't know if it could work with a capture card added. It looks like that the capture card you use could make it work or not.. (Elgato Cam Link seems not for example)

I am thinking of using this setup to make it works

- HDMI mini to HDMI cable (Amazon Basics)

- Capture card from Elgato : Elgato HD60S+

- Mac OS (MacBook Pro) 

- Zoom software (Making calls)

Is there someone who could confirm that using this setup would work?

@Wynvu this won't work. Exactly the setup I had in mind. But learned Fuji didn't start supporting HDMI live feed out on the X100 until the X100F. 

I thought about selling my X100T and levelling up to the X100F. But even on eBay, that was gonna cost £300. So when I found an XF10 for £200 I jumped on it. I find it basically works for streaming as I’d hoped, except there is no way to remove the onscreen touch control UI, so I end up cropping my image dimension down in OBS software to send a clean image to Zoom / Meet / whatever.

Note I use a much cheaper generic HDMI to USB converter than the Elgato and haven't had any issues.

• 4 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 3:53 PM, domrgn said:

@Wynvu this won't work. Exactly the setup I had in mind. But learned Fuji didn't start supporting HDMI live feed out on the X100 until the X100F. 

I thought about selling my X100T and levelling up to the X100F. But even on eBay, that was gonna cost £300. So when I found an XF10 for £200 I jumped on it. I find it basically works for streaming as I’d hoped, except there is no way to remove the onscreen touch control UI, so I end up cropping my image dimension down in OBS software to send a clean image to Zoom / Meet / whatever.

Note I use a much cheaper generic HDMI to USB converter than the Elgato and haven't had any issues.

@domrgn can you maybe answer the following questions regaring the use of the XF10 for streaming/webcam:
- Do you need to "start recording" to output clean HDMI? (seems to be the way for e.g. the X-A5)
- If so, Is the recording limit removed (30min)?
- Is there an overheat problem?
- Does Full-HD Output work? Again, the X-A5 or X-T100 I think only seems to output 4k fine (but then limited to 15fps)
- Can you disable autofocus?

Regarding your touch control UI problem: I read for the X-A5 that this disappeared when disabling the touch screen all together. Have you tried this?

Thanks!

BR, 

Jens

Edited by doozer
typo