Pre-packaged lens wipes on a camera lens

JBrew

I have access to some singel-use, pre-packaged lens wipes. They are made by "theSafetyDirector." They are sort of like little Wet-Ones but with different additives and different composition. The 'directions' read:

External use only

Silicone Free

Contents: Premoistened towlettes containing isopropyl alcohol designed spedcifically for use on plastic, polycarbonate, glass lenses and goggles.

Warnings: DO NOT USE ON CONTACT LENSES. (And I was just about to! Thank goodness for warnings. :-|)

I use them on my glasses all the time and they are great. Use them on my iPhone. iPhone camera lens. Computer screen. Motorcycle visor. Etc.

Would it seem these are safe on optical glass, such as lenses and eyepieces? Wouldn't use it on the sensor, of course. But for lens glass? 

Hmmmm........the vendor website you link says these are safe on non-coated glass. Nearly all photo lenses are coated. Also take note that the towelettes are made of paper, which is probably the reason for the warning about lens coating. Safety eyewear is usually hardened, and therefore compatible with this product, but I did in fact damage the coating on a pair of safety glasses using this very product. The coating took on a mottled appearance after a while. I know a lot of credible photographers use similar products, but I am reticent to use them on photo lenses.

The materials I use to clean photo lenses are not expensive - isopropyl alcohol and cotton Q-tips. I imagine you could also use clean cotton cloth instead of Q-tips, but I find the Q-tips to work pretty efficiently.