Upgrading your X100 series to X100V?

I just read the new specs on the X100V to see if it would tempt me.  Some nice features but not nearly enough to make me replace my X100F.  My old X100S, converted to Dual Spectrum for mostly infrared shooting is a bit creaky but still OK so I will carry on with my it too.

• 2 weeks later...

After my initial post on this thread, I started thinking maybe I will consider getting the X100V after all. 

But today, I had a question about how the D-button was replaced.  After reading lots of reviews, I found it is  deal-breaker that makes me want to keep my X100F.  The new feature that tempted me that I  would occasionally use is the flip screen on the X100V but I  often use my assigned functions on the D-button on my X100F.  All buttons on the camera are assigned and I regularly use the D-button for Film Simulation, White Balance and Flash. 

Sounds like not so much fun to quickly use those functions on the swipe screen.  From Ken Rockwell's excellent review:  No rear 4-way controller. Now you have to use dopey "touch functions" to do what we can do in one click on all the older all X100-series cameras — and the X100F has both the thumb nubbin as well as the 4-way controller!

Edited by neal3K

I've only had the X100F for a two months (Nov 2019-Jan 2020), I thoroughly enjoyed it, but sold it when I found out how soon the X100V will be released. This passed week, I went to my local camera store (Precision Camera and Video, Austin TX), and they had a pre-production X100V for showing (see attached photo). It was great for the two minutes that I tried it. So I'm very much looking forward to my X100V.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry for having sold my X100F to early! The V seems to have a lot of issues!! 

Edited by WaveDancer
revision of statement. Got my X100V: No grinding, but becomes very warm. We'll see how it does in very warm weather we have here usually.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the chance to quickly handle the X100V last weekend. I have no clue why they left off the D-Pad (and put the Q button in a slightly different location ... again). There's more than enough room on the back, and now the camera is missing a few very useful Fn buttons.

Weather sealing is nice, but not essential for me (I even used my X-E1 in the rain several times), but I don't like how Fujifilm seems to force us to start using the touch screen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:15 PM, neal3K said:

I just read the new specs on the X100V to see if it would tempt me.  Some nice features but not nearly enough to make me replace my X100F.  My old X100S, converted to Dual Spectrum for mostly infrared shooting is a bit creaky but still OK so I will carry on with my it too.

I regret having sold my X100F!! The X100V is unusable for somebody who shoots a lot and in warm climate! I'm very much disapointed! Never again Fujifilm! I feel absolute scammed! The Fujifilm management must have been completely drugged to release such a piece of crap! This comes when designers have the say instead of technicians! Yes I'd have loved a weather sealed body, but not with this issues, which obviously can't be fixed! NOOOO GOOOD FUJI!

On 5/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, StephenPG said:

The removal of the d-pad is a deal breaker for me. I almost exclusively use the viewfinder and having the control to change settings while my eye is close to the camera is the perfect way to work for me.  

Indeed. Even just for selecting the AF-points, I preferred the D-pad over the joystick (which is not an improvement at all, in my opinion). And losing the D-pad completely would be a step back in usability for me.

The only thing that is really better using the joystick, is that clicking it brings back the focus point to the middle.

Edited by johant

So that's at least three of us who consider the removal of the D-pad a deal breaker.  I guess Fuji decided that since so many people use/like touch screens, they would sell more of the X100V with a touch screen. 

I'm even tempted to buy another X-100F,  just to have as a back-up.

Just to provide a balance of views, I haven't missed the D-pad at all and yet I've also disabled all touchscreen functions, which to me feel gimmicky and unsuited to a camera like this. Fujifilm has to walk a very thin line in balancing the wants and needs of so many photographers and I think they do a good job overall. If you're regularly changing white balance, and film sims etc. on the fly then I can understand why the D-pad is important and a touchscreen replacement wouldn't cut it for me either.

I was very sceptical about the flip screen but it's so well designed that you don't even know it's there when stowed and I've actually found myself using it on several occasions already. It's a fantastic addition!

For anybody unsure whether to 'upgrade' from a 100F I would definitely evaluate your needs before spending lots of money. The image quality and autofocus speeds aren't any better in my opinion, the extra pixels don't make any practical difference and things like video capability and weather sealing may be irrelevant for many people. And yet, the new version is strikingly beautiful, the lens is tangibly better and the extra JPEG processing options (for people like me who don't use third-party RAW converters) I now couldn't be without.

The 'F' can still take world class images since that is mostly down to the photographer. The 'V' has some nice additional features that may or may not matter to you but I bought mine in a heartbeat.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, KennethLundgren said:

I will probably replace my X70 to this one. Been waiting for tilt screen on X100 series or X-E series. 

I have the X100V and the tilt screen seems to be very practical. It is very thin, but the feel is not flimsy at all! Well done!. The V becomes realy warm, we'll see how it will do when it is realy hot outside! (I live in very warm climate). For longer video sequences I have problems (for videos I'll buy a small Panasonic LX10). But the lens is great, pritty much sharper than the X100F without much loss of the shade and color transitition (fidelity). The film-simulations are great for JPEG fotographers too. The CCP_CV_19 lock down gets slowly lifted here, so I will be able to find more about this new device I hope they don't ditch the X-E series and bring 2021 a X-E4. If you don't need a leafshutter, then the X-E3 is a  very good choice! How ever, Fujifilm is a small company and to many models in the shelf could become a problem. I'd understand this. Regards from SE-Asia. 

Edited by WaveDancer

I had the opportunity to hire an x100v for two days with no charge something Fuji uk offers which is great. I was I bit concerned about the missing d pad as I use an XT3.
The camera did get warm as I played around setting it up but in my two days of constant shooting I had no issues (don’t shoot video) and as for the missing d pad didn’t miss it at all.

a great little camera

Taken with x100v

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mw02veg
Correction