TwoMetreBill

Focus bracketing (not stacking) speed on X-T3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Setting camera to RAW, highest eShutter rate, focus bracketing and 1/125th or faster shutter; how long will it take to shoot 8 frames? I've hunted all over the web as well as posting the question on forums with no results. 

I do realize that the focus speed of the lens will affect the rate, I would choose the pro lenses. 

Not an academic question as I'll be moving from Olympus over the next 3-6 months and this is a critical requirement for me. Example: the 60 fps Panasonic G9 slows to under 5 fps when focus bracketing. 

I do not use this option very often (really not at all), but I gave this a try using the X-T30, 18-55 lens set to 18 mm, f2.8, ss: 1/125.

The bracket settings were set BKT2, focus bracketing, 8 frames, 1 step, 0 second interval.

It took less than a two second count, I tried this several times with these settings and got the same result, less than a two second count (one Mississippi, two Missi... done). 

HTH.

edit: I realize that I used my usual drive setting of raw + jpg, instead of only raw. So the raw only speed you asked about should be faster. Maybe around a second or less, just use a fast card :) .

Edit 2: That was with the mechanical shutter. I think you will find the most complete answer here:

https://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t30/specifications/

under the section called ‘Continuous Shooting’. The mechanical shutter with full size raw uncompressed files tops out at 8 frames per second, until you fill the buffer (18 frames) at which point the camera will go to black screen until enough of  the buffer is written to the card to allow more shooting. The electronic shutter will give you a higher frame rate, but the buffer size is still 18 frames. Using compressed raw or a smaller frame size (or jpg files) allows for more shots per buffer as well as a faster frames per second.

Edited by jerryy